Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

How much Grooms Cake?

We are planning a wedding with 175 guest.  I am sure the Bride and family are ordering a Wedding Cake to feed 175 guest.  I need to order the Groom's cake.  I am uncertain how much to order.  Should it be for half the guest?  Thanks for the help.

Re: How much Grooms Cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends on when you plan on serving it. If you're going to have it at the rehearsal dinner, then definitely get a smaller one because not everyone will be there. If you're going to serve it at the reception, I'd talk to your bride to make sure you don't order too much cake collectively. Let the time and place you're serving it be your guide.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

A lot will be determined by how large you want each cake to be.  In my opinion, the wedding cake should be the focal point and the groom's cake something cool to look at.  That being the case, the wedding cake should be larger in size which means it will feed more people.

If 175 are invited and you get 70% attendance (which is about right) you can expect 123 people.  On the low side, if only 60% attend there will be 105 guests.  The wedding cake should have at least 60% of the servings.  With 123 guests the wedding cake would need to serve 74 and the groom's cake 49.

Talk with your bakery.  They will be able to help you made the right choices.  That is what they do for a living.

• Options
    BrambleBerryBrambleBerry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I disagree with most views above. If you have 175 guests, you should have enough of each cake to serve 175 people. There will be left overs (of course) but it's better than running out. What if everyone wants grooms cake? What if people want a slice of each?

Better be safe than sorry
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having our grooms cake served at the rehearsal dinner but we aren't calling it a grooms cake. In all honestly, why does the groom get a seperate cake but then the other cake is suppose to be the wedding cake for both of us? Ok, I'm done with my 1 sentence rant on that.

Anyway, I disagree with Bramble, if you have enough of each cake for everyone you are going to have ALOT of cake leftover. Unless you bring boxes and plan on letting people take cake home with them and make sure you encourage them to do so, then I would not get a grooms cake that large. Plus if the grooms cake is big enough to feed 175people, it is probably going to take away from the wedding cake a little, don't you think?
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Everyone at my wedding had a slice of wedding cake and a slice of grooms cake.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_much-grooms-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:3d56c3ff-4c05-4a79-b8a5-32e05cd27647Post:2f6b2c35-b0fa-43c6-8ebc-860a172dbb1f">Re: How much Grooms Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree with most views above. If you have 175 guests, you should have enough of each cake to serve 175 people. There will be left overs (of course) but it's better than running out. What if everyone wants grooms cake? What if people want a slice of each? Better be safe than sorry
    Posted by BrambleBerry[/QUOTE]
    This!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Bramble.

I went to a wedding where they had bought a wedding cake that had about half the servings needed to feed the guests. The piece you were given was so thin and you didn't get to pick which flavor since they just handed it to you. Defeated the purpose of a multi flavor cake.

I'm doing little pecan pies as my grooms cake. Since they are mini we're going to have 2 for everyone.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards