May 2014 Weddings
Options

Friday wedding?

Hi Everyone - I'm new here, just engaged last week! Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next ~18 months.

We're looking into our date and I'm having trouble with the potential of a Friday wedding.

We really want to have the wedding on May 9th (friday), its our current anniversary, and we're *hoping* to have it at the same location we were when we started dating (7 years ago from that date).

Unfortunately, almost all of our guest will be traveling, many within the state (but 1-2 hour drive) and many out of state (including one of my bridesmaids).

I think I'll be sad to forfeit the 9th, but I will probably be more sad if family and friends can't make it for our Friday wedding.

Thoughts?!?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Friday wedding?

• Options
    Were having the same dilemna. Our venue is 1,000 cheaper all the other vendors are cheaper doing it one day earlier. Were driving 4 hrs too. We have talked to our guests most are planning ahead so they can come. We are working with a busline too to get a group rate. Were puting thank you baskets in the hotel rooms too. If people are rearranging their schedule for us its only right to make them comfortable.
  • Options
    That weekend is mother's day weekend, so keep that in mind when picking your date. Depending on the time of the wedding, I would say that Friday would be okay :)

Congratulations on your engagement!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    seashells0572seashells0572 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We are thinking if doing the same date...im ok with a friday late afternoon because the date is so far ahead of time our families should be able to plan for it...i did not think about it being mothers day weekend though
  • Options
    I guess I am the odd one out....I would say do the saturday wedding...Its a HUGE CELEBTRATION and there is sooo much meaning behind it and you will regret not having your family and friends there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

FI and I are planning a Friday evening wedding, for no other reason but the cost difference. We didn't think it would be a problem at all but got some attitude from family members last night about it being "on a weekday" (last time I checked 5pm on a Friday started the weekend!). We talked about it last night afterwards and still decided Friday is the way to go :)

• Options
    My fiancé and I have planned our wedding for a Friday.... The price difference between a Friday and Saturday was about $5000!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2014-weddings_friday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:19d54fbd-7c52-420d-abe6-dce14dfc8da4Discussion:b09f470b-e99d-4329-82b3-9440d68c9cb6Post:2c01dde3-3718-421d-8fc9-682f842bcb59">Re:Friday wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Were having the same dilemna. Our venue is 1,000 cheaper all the other vendors are cheaper doing it one day earlier. Were driving 4 hrs too. We have talked to our guests most are planning ahead so they can come. We are working with a busline too to get a group rate. Were puting thank you baskets in the hotel rooms too. If people are rearranging their schedule for us its only right to make them comfortable.
    Posted by jthompson3273[/QUOTE]

What sort of things are you putting in baskets for out of town guests?  Please help me with some ideas.  In my case travelers will all be from his family.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for your comments...so much to think about. I also did not think about Mothers Day - I dont think I want to have my anniversary be on that weekend because I want to be able to celebrate JUST my anniversary in the future. 

Interesting that the poll resutls are split 50/50 though.

Would also like to hear everyones thoughts on PPs question of what you are putting in baskets for guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are getting married on a Friday too becuase of the cost difference.  The date is a little over a year away, so as long as you give your guests advance notice, if they truely want to be there to celebrate your marriage they'll make the proper arrangements to be there!

As for the guests baskets - I wasn't planning on doing those, but I have seen some cute ideas on Pinterest of including any local specialities (ie. local beer from a brewery or sweets from a local bakery) as well as info on local "attractions"/things-to-do in the area. Oh and a sweet thank you note!
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Congrats!
    Were getting married on a friday as well.  its alot cheaper for friday weddings.  As long as you give out of town guests a lot of time it should be ok and like it was was said earlier have thank you baskets in the hotel rooms :)
  • Options
    You will be shocked how many people will take off if your wedding is in a Friday.... But I totally understand where your coming from. If you do it Saturday it will be more of an all day event which is something your both deserve!! If it's not about the price and just about the day I would wait until Saturday but if it's about saving money which it totally understandable, then I would say do it friday, the people who really want to be there for u guys to celebrate will be there no matter what day it is... Good luck!!!
  • Options
    We're also having a Friday wedding. We started dating on 11/16/07, engaged on 8/16/12. August is definitely too hot in MN to have a wedding lol but we wanted to stick with the 16th since it ended up that way coincidentally. The only other option besides August was May, which fell on a Friday. We figured with more than a year notice, people will be at your wedding no matter what and make a long weekend out of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards