New Jersey

NJ Wedding Venues??

Just recently got engaged in April and I am completely in unfamiliar territory with reception venues. I never wanted a big wedding but somehow with family size and friends we have a list of 210 people we are inviting. I was hoping to get married at a vineyard or at a garden and my style is more laid back, causal and maybe a little off-beat. I haven't really been able to find anything that is not very formal and banquet like for receptions sites; perhaps I am just looking in the wrong places. We are willing to spend around 120 per person at most. Does anyone have an interesting ideas about receptions sites? Historial sites? Vineyards with a big enough space to hold ~200 people? Any creative ideas would be awesome!!

Re: NJ Wedding Venues??

• edited December 2011
    I don't have any recommendations, but remember that if you're inviting 210 people, that doesn't mean 200 people are actually going to show up.  Of course there's no way to guess how many people will attend, but don't count some places out just because they can't hold over 200 guests.
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RebeccaW2010RebeccaW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know much in the vineyard area as far as venues.  I have heard the Pleasantdale Chateau is BEAUTIFUL but not really vineyardish.  but I am having a vineyard inspired wedding at the Primavera Regency in Sept 2010!!  Sorry I can't be more help!  I have only really been to banquet places, too anxious to do outside venues hahaha
  • Pink7781Pink7781 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't book a place that holds less than your invited total. There will most likely be people who won't attend but you have no way of knowing this up front.

The Renault Winery is in south Jersey (Egg Harbor) and it's beautiful. There's also the Laurita winery in New Egypt, Cream Ridge Winery in Cream Ridge. I could go on and on but I'm not sure of their capacity. I know the Renault Winery can do large weddings. You might have more luck on the south Jersey board because most of the wineries are in the central to southern part of the state.
  • edited December 2011
    Pink - I get what you're saying, but if she's only inviting 10 more than 200, then I think it would be silly to only look at places that hold more than 200 people... that's what I was warning her about, because I feel like that could severely limit her available options (thought maybe I'm wrong).
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pink7781Pink7781 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Peaches, I definitely see your point too. I guess I'm just looking at it in terms of my guest list which initially started at 180 and ballooned to 280 right before we sent out invitations. My dad realized there were cousins he didn't invite initially but insisted on adding.
  • Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pink I agree with you I thought I was inviting 150 and ended up inviting 175 plus the ppl who HAVE to bring their new boy of the month. But that always baloons right before/during when the invites are sent!!!! Better to be safe with extra room then to be praying people say no.
  • JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Conrats and welcome! 

The South Jersey board was super helpful about wineries, but I'm not sure many can host a 210 person wedding. Have you thought about museums, town halls, or other non-traditional venues?
  • FinkFink member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I LOVED the idea of getting married at Renault, as a ballroom reception isn't our style at all.  However, when I checked it out, there was a major drawback (or at least it was for us).  The only alcohol allowed on site is their wine and beer that you bring yourself. 

We ended up chosing the Madison Hotel in Morristown, NJ as it has a conservatory that isn't ballroom like at all.  I don't know if it can hold 200+ guests though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding at Renault winery a few years ago - it was beautiful.
  • LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Oakside Mansion in Bloomfield NJ
  • edited December 2011
    I was looking at the alcohol situation for winerys and it does seem to be a problem because you can't bring anything of your own. And my fiance is REALLY REALLY into beer, beer brewing, and beer festivals so we already knows he wants a Keg from a local place he goes to have their beer on tap. Thanks for the advice tho. I did look at the website for rhe Madision hotel and heard good things!
  • edited December 2011

For something different, we're getting married at Adventure Aquarium.  I know not a winery, but we thought it was a really fun idea.  We had looked into wineries, but alot them you had to have outdoors for a larger party and we didn't want to have to factor in weather conditions.  Also, the Laurita Winery is gorgeous, but the quote they gave us was way above your max price. 

• uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nj-wedding-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:74201293-8bd8-4a3f-ab37-a6725767b4d1Post:81db6099-3663-4111-a9f3-dccd7465897b">Re: NJ Wedding Venues??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was looking at the alcohol situation for winerys and it does seem to be a problem because you can't bring anything of your own. And my fiance is REALLY REALLY into beer, beer brewing, and beer festivals so we already knows he wants a Keg from a local place he goes to have their beer on tap. Thanks for the advice tho. I did look at the website for rhe Madision hotel and heard good things!
    Posted by Rdantas[/QUOTE]

This isn't outdoors, but is offbeat -- what about Triumph Brewing Company in Princeton?  The space is cool and they do weddings, and it would totally fit his love of beer.

Here are some photos from a wedding there: <a href="http://www.zlatkobatistich.com/wedding-photos-andrea-and-dean-miller-chapel-triumph-brewery-princeton-nj/" rel="nofollow">http://www.zlatkobatistich.com/wedding-photos-andrea-and-dean-miller-chapel-triumph-brewery-princeton-nj/</a>
  • edited December 2011
    I never would have thought of the aquarium idea! But i looked at the website and the pictures are amazing and a lot of fun. I am sure you are going to have a beautiful wedding.

UpperEastGirl,
    I love the idea of triumph in princeton. I have been there several times and it is a great resturant. If we can get our list down to 170 people (which i am still trying to do!) it is def an option . Thanks!
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nj-wedding-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:74201293-8bd8-4a3f-ab37-a6725767b4d1Post:759a6d60-6e8b-452b-b191-2b6b7a2ad942">Re: NJ Wedding Venues??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been there several times and it is a great resturant. If we can get our list down to 170 people (which i am still trying to do!) it is def an option . Thanks!
    Posted by Rdantas[/QUOTE]

Remember, not everyone who was invited will attend.  We invited 208, and around 155 attended.  It can be hard to predict so you want to play it somewhat safe -- but if you cut down your list a bit you're probably safe.
  • edited December 2011
    It depends how far you want to travel but we are having our reception at The Renault Winery about 25 minutes north of Atlantic City. The room we are in holds up to 250 people. There is also a hotel right on the groups of the winery so many guests are so excited and making a weekend out of it.
  • edited December 2011
    Haha I should have scrolled up more to see all the posts about Renault.

In response to Finks posting about not having hard alcohol that is the case if you have it in the Renault Grand Ball Room. However, they do give you 7 different mixed drink options ex. Long Island Ice Tea, Bay Breeze that are all wine based instead of hard alcohol.  We tried all of them and you can't even taste the difference.They are also allowing us to have a signature cocktail added to that list. The winery is actually in two different city's. The winery side is in Egg Harbor and the hotel right across the street is in Galloway. Galloway allows hard alcohol but the winery side in Egg Harbor does not. At least that's what they told us. So depending on what room you choose there can be hard alcohol.
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For awhile I was really interested in the The Brick House in Wyckoff.  It is a historic building from the 1800s I believe.  They just re-did their ballroom which isn't too cheesy and I am pretty sure that cocktail hour is in their wine cellar which I thought was cool!  I'm not too sure about outdoor space or how many they hold.  Just an idea :)

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • FinkFink member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Rdantas, no problem.  My FI is very into beer too!  We were recently in Belgium and went to bar with more 2,006 beers on the premises (Delirium).  So awesome!!

@demarcosjd, you're right! I should have included that in my post.  However, we liked the room on the no hard alcohol side and the wine-based cocktails were an unacceptable substitute to me and my FI.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards