Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Venue Won't Serve Cake

So our venue won't serve the cake since it is not baked on site. The hall provides a "doggie bag" of sorts so people can take the cake home. Does anyone else's venue do this? How did people react? Thanks :)

Re: Venue Won't Serve Cake

• RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes they will serve if you pay an extra fee for them to do so.  It's not usually cheap, but might be an option.  I know one of my friends was able to hire an employee from the bakery to serve it (I think the same one who delivered it), but again, she had to pay them to be there. 

Around here it used to be considered an honor to be asked to serve cake at receptions, but not anymore, so I wouldn't do that.  Plus, a lot of venues won't let anyone serve food unless they have a food handler's permit. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for your information.  I am not worried about a willingness to serve that cake. The venue's insurance won't them them serve food that the venue does not make. They do cut the cake and bag it for us.

I was okay with this, but then I saw all the posts about serving cake and was wondering if it was rude to have people take the cake home. The venue does serve a small desert with dinner.

• edited December 2011
    I don't think it's rude to take the cake home. Didn't that used to be the tradition? I know I used to get a lot more cake boxes filled with fruitcake from weddings as a kid twenty years ago.
    edited December 2011
    They'll cut the cake but not serve it?  I'm not sure I'm seeing the difference between putting a slice on a plate and handing it to me, and putting it in a bag and handing it to me.  To me it's the exact same thing.  And how would their insurance feel about random people handing out cake, uncontrolled?  Do they expect guests to cut and serve their own cake?  Or will they cut it, then let whoever wants it come get it themselves?  Just seems like they're being weird here.

I'm just thinking that, as a guest, I like having my cake at the reception, and I'd rather not eat it out of a bag.  If I'm offered extra cake to take home, I think it's great and I'd love it, but I still would rather have a piece on a plate with a fork, even if there's another dessert offering. 

I guess you'd have to hire someone from the bakery, if the venue will let you.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_venue-wont-serve-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:6e72db18-5447-4c94-872f-91e165a31adfPost:1d6042ed-1123-4052-b5ea-3625fe51b181">Re: Venue Won't Serve Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's rude to take the cake home. Didn't that used to be the tradition? I know I used to get a lot more cake boxes filled with fruitcake from weddings as a kid twenty years ago.
    Posted by kaesha[/QUOTE]

My dad said this same thing (well without the fruitcake part). I guess my venue is just a little old fashioned. That's ok though, their food is delicious.
  • edited December 2011
    If your venue will hand out  your cake in bags, what is to stop the guests from just eating it then?  I also don't understand the difference between them giving me a piece of cake on a plate or a piece of cake in a bag (except for the fact that my piece of cake would get all ruined in the bag.)

• edited December 2011
    I am not sure what the difference is either. My dad said it was an old tradition. Like I said it didn't strike me as odd until no one else seemed to mention something like this. That is why I am concerned now. Does anyone have any possible solutions?
  • edited December 2011
    Well, it used to be that you'd be given it in a box on your way out the door. I always saw it as a snack for the road, but I was a kid, so, what did I know?

Regardless as to whether the box works or not, your options are limited to doing it the venue's way or finding a new venue.

You're still having a desert, right? So after you cut cake, have them put them nicely in boxes on a table near the exit for people to grab on the way out. You could do a cute little sign to go with it.

Or, you could do away with the cake all together and save the money!

• edited December 2011
    I am excited about the cake and don't mind the bags, though I am now going to look for cheap boxes (which might look nicer than bags). I hope my guests understand and still have a good time.

Thanks for everything :)
  • edited December 2011
    Oh honey, seriously, cake won't make or break the party. I promise, if the vibe is good, guests won't care about when they get the cake.

Maybe you could cut it towards the end of the evening so they won't be expecting it right away.
    edited December 2011
    Will the venue make you a cake?  Might just be the easiest thing to do, so they can serve it.
  • edited December 2011
    Sadly the venue cannot make a cake. They don't have the space, nor could we afford one if they did. We are already do their budget wedding.

I'll have to see about maybe cutting the cake later in the night, not too late since people still need to take it home :) but maybe after the first dances and other family traditions.

I feel like I am saying this alot but thanks again for all the ideas.
  • edited December 2011
    I remember reading something similar to this on another post. It was suggested to have your own wedding insurance and sign a waiver for the venue that they serve the cake and if anyone gets sick from the cake it will be on your insurance and they don't have to deal with it.
    I think I would only do that if you really want the cake served.
  • edited December 2011
      We're doing cupcakes and a small cake for us to cut. Maybe cupcakes could just be left out and the guests can grab one if they want or leave take out boxes nearby for them to take one home? 
      Can the venue make plain sheet cakes? Maybe you could do a fake cake for display and have them serve sheet cakes that they make and serve?
      Will they serve someone else's cake if you get insurance? If you sign a waiver?
    Do you know anyone else that has had a wedding at this location? How did they handle this issue?

• edited December 2011
    We had our baker make smaller cakes for each table, and our guests served themselves.

Many of them left with cake, too.
    panther
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_venue-wont-serve-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:6e72db18-5447-4c94-872f-91e165a31adfPost:479f5bb9-19ec-449a-a7e1-777b1c850663">Re: Venue Won't Serve Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue Won't Serve Cake : Are you maybe thinking of the groom's cake?  I know that traditionally, the groom's cake used to be served in boxes for guests to take home with them, and it's actually still pretty common where I'm from. Either way, kaesha is totally right OP.  This isn't going to be a dealbreaker for your guests, I promise.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

No, it was definitely the wedding cake. We don't do groom's cakes up here  - never heard of them until the knot!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your input. We considered doing cupcakes but we couldn't serve those either. It is just a blanket no serving outside food and you have to bring in your own cake.

Does anyone have a suggestion on wording for a sign near the cake slices?
  • edited December 2011
    What kind of event are you having? That dictates the wording, IMHO.

If you're doing something casual you could do something like this:

http://www.blissweddingsmarket.com/brideideas/mini-pvc-gable-favor-box.htm

with a sign saying 'Please help yourself" or something cheesier like "Love is Sweet! Please take a treat for the road!"
  • edited December 2011
    I love that wording! My FI loves all those cheesy wordings so he will love coming up with something similar. Thank you for helping us figure out this unusual problem.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_venue-wont-serve-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:6e72db18-5447-4c94-872f-91e165a31adfPost:643976d1-be63-4c6e-ae5f-59c90c0ab6ac">Re: Venue Won't Serve Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all for your input. We considered doing cupcakes but we couldn't serve those either. It is just a blanket no serving outside food and you have to bring in your own cake. Does anyone have a suggestion on wording for a sign near the cake slices?
    Posted by kgrunow[/QUOTE]

So basically they're saying that you have bring in your own wedding cake, but you can't let your guests eat any.  Weird.  And I still don't see the difference between giving it to them on a plate and giving it to them in a sack. 

OP, no problem with you at all, it's just your venue's rules are giving me a WTF moment or four.
  • edited December 2011
    I understand the rules are odd and don't make sense to me either. I'm sure it is some weird legal thing that makes sense on paper but has no practicality in the real world.

Thank You everyone
  • edited December 2011
    I would personally only order a small one or two tier cake for the cutting, and then a sheetcake (or two) for the venue to box. This way you don't spend a lot of extra money on a beautiful cake that will get all smooshed in a box or bag.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards