Wedding Woes
Options

Too many "shoulds"

A few months ago, my mom and I had a pretty nasty fight after I let all of the "shoulds" build up and I finally blew -- like, I "should" only have white cake since that's traditional, I "shouldn't" register for a honeymoon since that's tacky, the list goes on and on. We've made up and recovered from the argument, but it's definitely left some scars on me regarding how my family, when push comes to shove, really only cares about appearances and getting their way, even on what's supposed to be a day for me and my fiance.

Now my in-laws are doing the same thing. I invited my soon-to-be sisters-in-law to my bachelorette party (a very small, low-key spa thing), but I did not invite my mom (she was fine with that), my mother-in-law, or my brother-in-law's on again/off again girlfriend who I've never met. WELL, wrong move! My mother in law is "crushed" and the whol family feels they've been slighted that I didn't invite the girlfriend, even though she's invited to the rehearsal dinner and other wedding week events. The solution they came up with is to decline my bachelorette party and have a luncheon for me (read: for mother-in-law and stranger girlfriend) so no one feels left out.

So now, yet again, I am reminded how everyone's feelings but mine and my fiance's matter. I know there's nothing I can do, because I don't want more drama than there already is, but I am sad, hurt and disappointed. And very ready for this wedding to be over with.

For what it's worth, my wonderful finace spoke to his family and completely supports me. I am marrying the right guy :-)

Re: Too many "shoulds"

• Options
    ElleB87ElleB87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Remember that this is YOUR wedding and if they don't like what you and your FI are doing they can suck it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VRLVRL
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_many-shoulds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:afe4eb48-21a8-4917-a5a8-a1d7ad3305a4Post:8be2ccd2-783b-4b99-bc4b-11a4195635fc">Re: Too many "shoulds"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Remember that this is YOUR wedding and if they don't like what you and your FI are doing they can suck it.
    Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

That is terrible advice.

And OP, in the opinion of most people, honeymoon registries *are* tacky. Perhaps you should consider what your mother has to say more carefully.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honeymoon registries are not tacky. They're quite common nowadays.

Remember that this IS your wedding, and while I think its wrong to go complete bridezilla on people, it really is about you and your fiance.

Just remember, anyone who is going to sit and judge your wedding on what is "tacky" or "untraditional" is no good friend. I would never judge a friend of mine for how they do their wedding. Even if its not the way I would do things.

So ultimately, the people who are going to judge you shouldn't affect you anyway.

Though I get what your saying about how its sad when you realize that apperance is more important to people than actual relationships.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    common =/= acceptablr.  Honeymoon registries are tacky.
  • Options
    ElleB87ElleB87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_many-shoulds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:afe4eb48-21a8-4917-a5a8-a1d7ad3305a4Post:f6aef5b2-8464-4aea-a5a1-1731f2ee2929">Re: Too many "shoulds"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too many "shoulds" : That is terrible advice. And OP, in the opinion of most people, honeymoon registries *are* tacky. Perhaps you should consider what your mother has to say more carefully.
    Posted by VRL[/QUOTE]

It's not terrible advice - it is her and her FI's wedding, not her parents wedding.  If her parents want a wedding to have certain elements they should renew their vows.  If she is grown up enough to get married she should be grown up enough to put her foot about her wedding details.  If it wasn't her parents b*tching about the way her and FI are doing things it would be someone else, what would she do in that situation?  I would hope she would be an adult and take it with a grain of salt and do what she and FI wanted anyways...seeing as it's THEIR wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies ... mostly. The honeymoon registry wasn't really up for disucssion, I was just using it as an example of the myriad items my family and my finance's family have had rather strong opinions on.

I've cooled down since I wrote the above, and I do realize that all the family opinions shared are done with good intentions, and that I need to pick my battles and put my foot down on what's really important (I don't need another toaster, hence, I'm not registering at Target) and what's not (how many bachelorette/bridal showers are thrown). The most important thing for me is to remember why we're doing this and try to put the petty junk behind me and enjoy the day.

That said, if I knew then what I know now, I would have totally eloped!!!
  • Options
    VRLVRL
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_many-shoulds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:afe4eb48-21a8-4917-a5a8-a1d7ad3305a4Post:fa580abb-0c05-476c-ac43-e3da07f560b2">Re: Too many "shoulds"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too many "shoulds" : It's not terrible advice - it is her and her FI's wedding, not her parents wedding.  If her parents want a wedding to have certain elements they should renew their vows.  If she is grown up enough to get married she should be grown up enough to put her foot about her wedding details.  If it wasn't her parents b*tching about the way her and FI are doing things it would be someone else, what would she do in that situation?  I would hope she would be an adult and take it with a grain of salt and do what she and FI wanted anyways...seeing as it's THEIR wedding.
    Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but telling someone that 'it's your wedding and everyone else can suck it' is not good advice.

If OP is paying for her own wedding, then yes - she needs to learn to set boundaries and know when to tell people no, thank you.

If OP's mother is paying for the wedding, or even part of it, then the OP needs to meet her mother half way (or all the way, depending), or decline the money.

But never should someone be advised to do whatever they want, regardless of the impact on others - that just sets them, and others, up for a world of hurt and/or drama (potentially).

A wedding stops being all about the Bride and Groom the moment they invite other people to join them - and those people need to be taken into consideration, whether its convenient, easy - or not.
  • Options
    shelovesnycshelovesnyc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i do feel as if you need to stick to your guns.  When people say "its their day" its not to be a complete brat.  However, it is to remind people that you are your fiance are running the show and, although their opions are valued, the two of you have the final say.

This is coming from someone who has chosen a destination wedding and being told i should have it elsewhere so more people can afford to come.  However the point of the destination wedding is for LESS people to come.

Good luck with your plans. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think this poor bride is now getting even more "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts" from this board than from the families!

Sweetie, ultimatly a wedding is a day to celebrate you and your FI's love and relationship and love with your friends and family.

It is your day to celebrate how you choose, but agreed that it should be without going totally "Bridezilla" about it. Which I dont think you are being at all, your family just have a very different picture of your day from you. 

Hopfully open communication can go a long way to solving most issues. I'm so glad your FI is on side and has spoken to his family also - your totally right it shows your marrying the right person! :)

Talk to people individually if possible. Find out why they feel a certain way about wanting to attend the celebrations etc. It could simply be that they are really excited and want to celebrate with you, in which case its great to include them in some way - as you said having a luncheon with them (as well as your bachelerette party) i think is a nice inclusion. 

As for honeymoon registries, as this discussion shows, they can be a very heated topic for some people. Ultimatly only you know your guests and if anyone is going to be desperatly opposed to this. But the bottom line is no one is obligied to buy you a gift, much less one from your registry - registries were designed to make your guests lives a little bit easier to get you something you want. If they are very opposed to the idea they can always buy you something else thats not on your registry, so try not to let it stress you out too much. 

Hope you manage to get it sorted sooner rather than later! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just because people are offering money to help you does not mean you OWE them anything. If they absolutely don't like the way your wedding is going, they don't have to contribute. No one's help should come with conditions.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    If everyone is giving you a list of "shoulds", then it's pretty likely that you're doing things in tacky, buffoonish ways.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards