Hawaii
Options

Getting married in Hawaii, which Island???

So I think we have finally decided to get married in Hawaii. We calculated and after airfare and hotel with a basic wedding it will be cheaper than having a wedding at home. Which island would you girls recommend? I want a nice basic wedding, no reception but for pretty cheap.
BabyName Ticker image BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Getting married in Hawaii, which Island???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!

I think you can get it done on any of them relatively inexpensively, I guess it really depends on which one you want to hang out on and explore after! Oahu and Maui tend to have the most wedding vendors, followed by the Big Island and then Kauai.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup, definitely depends.  It could be done on any of the islands inexpensively, but each island has a  different vibe/personality.  Oahu is the most urban, but there are still locations you could have a nice wedding.  The plus is that there are way more vendors and hotels to choose from.  If you go to one of the other islands, it will probably cost more for airfare since you'll most likely go through Oahu.  In addition, since there aren't as many vendors, you may have to pay extra to fly in someone from Oahu. 

The only island I probably wouldn't recommend is Lanai.  It is really tiny and limited in hotels and vendors.  The only two hotels I know of on the island are both Four Seasons Resorts.  It is gorgeous, but definitely one of the most expensive islands to visit.
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I am biased, but I would say Maui!! 

Seriously though, it really depends on what you are looking for.  We are having guests at ours, so having a private estate was very important for us, and Maui offers some beautiful locations. 

I have a friend who got married in Kauai, with only immediate family attending (they actually got married on the lawn of a condo they were renting, the background was breathtaking right on a cliff), and they had a beautiful wedding without going overboard with price.  But, you could really do a wedding like this on any island.

I would suggest doing a little research on the islands and seeing which appeals to you more.  None of us can tell you that one is better than the other cause it's for your wedding, and you want it to meet your likes.  If you love the city, you might want Oahu, if you want a very laid back calm island, Kauai may be the place for you. 

Good luck in your decision, and let us know what you choose!  Congrats on being a Hawaiian Bride! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls, I think I have narrowed it down to Kona or Maui... now just have to pick one!
    BabyName Ticker image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_getting-married-hawaii-island?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:60925706-29e8-4d17-912e-9b4167a731a2Post:2749dd76-189c-46bc-87d0-ad69564c9c55">Getting married in Hawaii, which Island???</a>:
    [QUOTE] I want a nice basic wedding, no reception but for pretty cheap.
    Posted by tiffhiam[/QUOTE]
    While you certainly don't have to host a traditional reception (catered food, dancing, dj, etc.), if anyone's coming to be a guest at your wedding, I do recommend that you at least host something - a brunch, a lunch, a bbq dinner, your call.  The gracious thing to do to thank people for attending your wedding (esp. when it's so far away) is to host a meal for them.  It doesn't have to be a budget-buster, but it's still the right thing to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!

I think it is true to definitely do some research about hotels, vendors and the vibe of each of the islands.  Hawaii is so beautiful that you will not go wrong regardless of the island you choose. 

I am getting married in Lanai, which is one of the islands that is not recommended.  It is beautiful/gorgeous, but we are paying a lot of money to fly our vendors to the island - something that we definitely didn't consider till after we had signed the contract for the site.  I think Maui offers a lot of vendors and hotels for your guests though I would imagine Oahu offers even more vendors.  I agree that if I were you I would at least plan to have a dinner or something - given how far your guests are coming from. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards