Students

Beyond Overwhelmed

I don't know what to do about our wedding date!

We have planned to have our wedding July 23, 2011.  I am currently in graduate school and have decided to stop the program I am in (the program isn't taking me where I want it to).  I am applying to a Physician Assistant Program.  I know that the program is very competitive but I think I may have a good chance of getting in (3.96 and 1160 gre).  The thing about the program is that it starts in May if I get in.  This would fall right in the middle of the semester.  We thought about moving it to the third weekend in May which would be 3-4 days before the program orientation begins but the only weekend open.  Should we move it to the end of may? Or wait until the 1.5 week break in august? Any PA's out there who have any advice or anyone else??!!

Re: Beyond Overwhelmed

• It sounds as though you'd have a little more time to relax with your new husband if you were to have your wedding in August. If that's more important than having your wedding sooner, then go ahead and get married in August.

My fiance and I were having the same sort of issues deciding because he's applying for Physical Therapy programs, which start at the end of June, and by the time he's on break, I'll have started seminary. Luckily, we found a date in the middle of June that worked for everyone. Yay!
  • I would do August - do you really want to have a huge wedding a few days before starting a new grad program? Just personally that would totally stress me out. Then again, the entire week before classes begin I am a lazy bum. :)
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can relate completely - I'm in pharmacy school and planned my wedding for winter break my second year, only to find mid-year (while already in pharmacy school) they they are having remedial learning during when I planned my wedding (basically if I don't pass my tests I would have to come back during this time frame). What I'm trying to relate is that  I think you should wait until you're in the program, and find out when the breaks are and how flexible (i.e. do the dates change from year to year). Hope this helps! 

• I am currently in a PA program and have my wedding planned for next July as well. Fortunately the 2nd years have the summer mostly off (and I will be a second year). One of the girls in my class got married this past summer (we started school in June) and she had moved her date from June to our week off in August. I think she preferred it that way because she had time to relax with her hubby after the wedding before having to start school again, but it was a little hard for her to have to do all the last minute wedding stuff while in class and adjusting to a new program.

All that to say, I think it's really up to you. It's definitely do-able either way, it just depends on whether you want to have to start school up right after you get married or not.

What program are you applying for?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards