Georgia-Atlanta
Options

Faux Wedding Cake

I am thinking of doing this. I've heard you can get a beautiful fake cake and no one knows the difference. Serving sheet cake from the back would save sooo much money. Does anyone know where this can be done in the ATL area?

Re: Faux Wedding Cake

• Options
    My_MattMy_Matt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never heard of it, but what a great idea!

I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have heard of it, it would be a great idea. Not sure where you'd get it from.
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of doing a faux cake, but I have heard of having a very small wedding/3-tiered cake that you and FI cut for pictures. It is usually enough to serve you, the WP and maybe some family too. Then, the rest of the guests receive cake from the kitchen, where a sheet cake or 2 (usually with the same flavor) is cut up out of sight. 

I don't know that I would do the faux cake, personally. I don't know the costs but its basically another decoration and I don't see the sense in that....Won't people see it and wonder why you aren't cutting it? lol It just seems a bit silly to me. If you want to, go for it. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing 3 tiers that are real and a fake tier to make the cake bigger but i just didnt need all of that cake! But a WHOLE fake cake- the guests wont see you cut the cake, so if you want to cut that cake i wouldnt do a whole fake cake
  • Options
    hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know Celsos cakes in Norcross would do it...my friend did the same with her wedding cake from them, and it saved her a lot of money!!! I spoke with Celsos (the owner) and he suggested having the bottom tier made with real cake, since that is what you and your husband would actually cut and the other tiers would be made with styrofoam, while the guests would be served with sheet cake from the back made with your actual flavors. It's pretty common - of course most caterers would not suggest that to you, so you would have to ask.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    n82ureluvr915n82ureluvr915 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate Pink Cafe also does them. Like the pp said, the bottom (or next tier) is real while the rest of the cake is made of styrofoam. I would think caterers would like that it is styrofoam, that way they can go ahead and cut the sheet cake and plate it. They still get their cake cutting fee either way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know Tasty Pastry out of Johns creek does it.
  • Options
    TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Baker's Man also does a fake one, but I don't remember it saving that much money.  I'd rather pay more and get all real cake or just order a smaller cake to cut with sheet cake in the back.  It was weird to spend all that money on something fake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea.  I went to a wedding where this was done, and didn't realize it until they told me much later.

They used Cakes for Dummies in Roswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards