Illinois-Chicago
Options

Dads in Tuxes or Suits?

Do dads typically wear tuxes or suits to the wedding? 

My FI said suit but I think a tux is more formal and fitting for our wedding--any suggestions/advice? We have to decide on a final answer by Thursday.

Goodness I can't believe how quickly our big day is approaching! SO excied!! :D

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dads in Tuxes or Suits?

• Options
    I think most dads wear tuxes
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think it depends on the tone/formality of your wedding.  My daughter had a church wedding, with a traditional wedding party.  All the men, including the fathers, wore tuxes. 

My son is having an outdoor ceremony, and he and his bride-to-be are each having one attendant.  No one, including the groom, is wearing a tux.

In most weddings I have attended, the fathers of the bride and groom mimic the apparel of the wedding party.  If your FI and his groomsmen are wearing tuxes, I would expect the fathers would dress similarly.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_dads-in-tuxes-or-suits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:d26894f7-14f8-4ace-8ffb-7f19bd7dcb21Post:aaa03b35-2a22-4e38-8944-ce56cf9fa8de">Re: Dads in Tuxes or Suits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it depends on the tone/formality of your wedding.  My daughter had a church wedding, with a traditional wedding party.  All the men, including the fathers, wore tuxes.  My son is having an outdoor ceremony, and he and his bride-to-be are each having one attendant.  No one, including the groom, is wearing a tux. I<strong>n most weddings I have attended, the fathers of the bride and groom mimic the apparel of the wedding party.  If your FI and his groomsmen are wearing tuxes, I would expect the fathers would dress similarly.</strong>
    Posted by mobkaz[/QUOTE]
    I agree, especially with the bolded part. My H, groomsmen, dad and FIL all wore tuxes.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    What does your dad want to wear?  My dad will be wearing a tux, mostly because he doesn't want to buy a suit and owns nothing more formal than khaki pants. 

ETA: It should probably match the formality of the wedding, but if dad owns a nice suit and doesn't really want to rent a tux, I wouldn't make him rent a tux. 
  • Options
    My fiancee and his brother (the Best Man, no other groomsmen) are wearing black tuxes.  His dad is wearing a black suit but we are not in a house of worship and it is more relaxed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    Our dads, gms and groom are wearing tuxes.  The inside color of vest/tie will be different.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    521image 126image 39image 356image RSVP Date: August 1
  • Options
    My husband and the GMs all wore suits, but even if they had done tuxes, I would've just had the dads wear their own suits. If they don't own suits and would be renting anyway, then it's fine to match the bridal party, but I don't think it's necessary.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards