Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas?

I have two guests that are gluten-free and one that is "vegetarian" ( he a junk food-etarian and only does it to be difficult really). I need ideas for foods (Hors d'oeuvres, buffet meal, and dessert). I honestly don't know that much about gluten free but what to make sure everyone has something good to eat for each stage of the meal.

The main meal will be southern style BBQ with pulled pork, BBQed chicken with slaw, baked beans, some type of potato, rolls, salad, veggie/fruit/cheese tray, and there will be cupcakes. 

Re: Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Talk to your caterer about gluten-free.  It's possible that most of the meal you described could be made gluten-free, although your caterer would need to be careful about cross-contamination (do you know how much this is an issue for your GF guests?).  What about adding mac and cheese for the vegetarian (plus it's pretty popular in general)?  That might work better for a junk food-etarian than veg chili or something like that.

ETA: You can probably find a couple of GF cupcakes for those guests, too.
  • Options
    I'm confused about the whole junk food thing & why him being veg is to be difficult, but whatevs. Have you asked your caterer what vegetarian items they offer? I'm sure this isn't the first time for them. They can likely suggest items on their menu that can be altered to be veg.
  • Options
    emeejeeayenemeejeeayen member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    For vegetarian, bruschettas are really nice. A simple/traditional one of tomato, onion, balsamic, basil and garlic is great. I also make one that is just simply sliced avocado on bruschetta with a drizzle of reduced balsamic and some fleur de sel. So simple and tasty. 

Caprese skewers are great and very simple.Add in some roasted eggplant to the caprese and it's delicious. 

I'm a happy camper with a nice cheese plate (crackers, grapes, etc). 

For the meal portion, I think pasta is likely your best bet and make sure there are a couple sides/salads they can participate in. 

A friend of mine is gluten free and she loves to make little "sandwiches" where the bread is replaced with apple slices or cucumber slices. Lettuce wraps are also great. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    leogirl13leogirl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-free-and-vegetarian-food-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:b3810af6-2bda-4300-8b37-4f1a25a73e79Post:f4dd746c-8ae4-4e51-b1b8-869f123c9b83">Re: Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm confused about the whole junk food thing & why him being veg is to be difficult, but whatevs. Have you asked your caterer what vegetarian items they offer? I'm sure this isn't the first time for them. They can likely suggest items on their menu that can be altered to be veg.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

He's not really a vegetarian. He just uses it as an excuse to eat nothing but junk food and something to whine about and make everything about him where there is food envolved with anything. I've known him for 10 years and he pretty much only eats chips, french frys, candy, cookies, cheese pizza, bread, and crackers. He never eats actual veggies.
  • Options
    We aren't having an actual caterer. We will just be picking up the food from a local resturant to serve and they can't guarantee GF-free. Our baker does not do gf -free at this time.

I'm making a lot of the extras myself and just really want to make sure they have something to eat.
  • Options
    Ask if your guests are gluten-allergic or merely gluten-intolerant. Some people have indegestion if they eat gluten; others will collapse comatose. 

If the guests are merely gluten-intolerant, trays of prepared sushi from the supermarket are an attractive and convenient solution to both problems.  Keep them in a cooler of ice until required. The only real catch is the soy sauce - you'll want some gluten-free tamari, as the standard Kikkoman is made with wheat. 

Plain is good for avoiding gluten. A baked potato is a 100% safe option, as is fruit or chocolate. The problem is that many sauces contain gluten from one or more ingredient - see if you can arrange for a plain chicken breast or two from the kitchen, which should be fine for anyone with a gluten intolerance. If the guests are gluten-allergic, however, get something to go from a local gluten-free restaurant. De-glutening a kitchen is an endeavor on par with koshering. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-free-and-vegetarian-food-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b3810af6-2bda-4300-8b37-4f1a25a73e79Post:9e74eef1-87a1-4902-961a-a29f00edbb90">Re: Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas? : He's not really a vegetarian. He just uses it as an excuse to eat nothing but junk food and something to whine about and make everything about him where there is food envolved with anything. I've known him for 10 years and he pretty much only eats chips, french frys, candy, cookies, cheese pizza, bread, and crackers. He never eats actual veggies.
    Posted by leogirl13[/QUOTE]

<div>While I'm in favor of trying your best to cater to guests' dietary restrictions, even those that are self-imposed (vegan, veg, kosher) rather than allergies, he just sounds picky, and I wouldn't go crazy trying to feed him.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-free-and-vegetarian-food-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b3810af6-2bda-4300-8b37-4f1a25a73e79Post:d29b6931-930f-4f0a-bcf0-11b5ed7e0809">Re:Glutenfree and vegetarian food ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As for the other guy, I wouldn't worry about accommodating him, to be honest.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>Me either. I know people like this.  Liking crap and only crap isn't a legitimate dietary restriction. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-free-and-vegetarian-food-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b3810af6-2bda-4300-8b37-4f1a25a73e79Post:9e74eef1-87a1-4902-961a-a29f00edbb90">Re: Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas? : He's not really a vegetarian. He just uses it as an excuse to eat nothing but junk food and something to whine about and make everything about him where there is food envolved with anything. I've known him for 10 years and he pretty much only eats chips, french frys, candy, cookies, cheese pizza, bread, and crackers. He never eats actual veggies.
    That's just ridiculous. While vegetarian doesn't necessarily = only eating veggies, they're usually in there somewhere! I don't understand how he doesn't have some sort of vitamin deficiency by now. That's just being irresponsible & unfortunately gives a bad name to vegetarians. Like others have said, I wouldn't try to accomodate him too much. He can work it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Most people don't become vegetarians because they LOVE veggies or dislike meat. I know plenty of vegetarians who dislike many/most vegetables. Or can't eat soy/wheat/dairy. Vegetarians can eat whatever they want, as long as there aren't meat products. This includes french fries.

As someone who is NOT a picky eater at all, it's pretty offensive to assume that a self-imposed dietary restriction is just because someone is "picky" or "difficult" unless you don't understand vegetarianism at all.

Yes, you must accomodate all of your guests. The rolls, sides and a mac and cheese would be fine for him. For appetizers - fried mozzarella? Or fried ravioli? I had fancy, mini quesadillas and stuffed piquillo peppers at my wedding, which were popular.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Somebody above suggested sushi, which is a great GF option.  In addition to the soy sauce another thing to watch out for is anything made with imitation crab, which can contain gluten.

I would check with the restaurant that your ordering the food from and see what they can do for you.  Food allergies are much more common than many people realize and many restaurants are capable of accomadating allergies.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-free-and-vegetarian-food-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:b3810af6-2bda-4300-8b37-4f1a25a73e79Post:004e8464-50b7-4c6b-9443-eedf5e545cc9">Re: Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ask if your guests are gluten-allergic or merely gluten-intolerant. Some people have indegestion if they eat gluten; others will collapse comatose.  If the guests are merely gluten-intolerant, trays of prepared sushi from the supermarket are an attractive and convenient solution to both problems.  Keep them in a cooler of ice until required. The only real catch is the soy sauce - you'll want some gluten-free tamari, as the standard Kikkoman is made with wheat.  Plain is good for avoiding gluten. A baked potato is a 100% safe option, as is fruit or chocolate. The problem is that many sauces contain gluten from one or more ingredient - see if you can arrange for a plain chicken breast or two from the kitchen, which should be fine for anyone with a gluten intolerance. If the guests are gluten-allergic, however, get something to go from a local gluten-free restaurant. De-glutening a kitchen is an endeavor on par with koshering. 
    Posted by jrshaul[/QUOTE]

I find plain meals offered as a celiac absolutely insulting. INSULTING. I have a medical disorder not lack of taste. If the caterer cant ensure a GF meal then I think the diners should know this ahead of time. I've brought food to more than one occasion, or eaten before hand.

We went to a wedding this spring with a bag of chipotle in hand most of our table knew I had full blown celiac, the one who made a comment didnt event get my comment before Fiance chimed in no it has nothing to do with her being too good for the food it has to do with she has Celiac Sprue and cant eat it. The woman immediatly appologised, even the groom appologised when he realised they couldnt accomodate me we told them it was fine. FI took me for GF cheesecake after the wedding too :).
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-free-and-vegetarian-food-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:b3810af6-2bda-4300-8b37-4f1a25a73e79Post:5526bbb8-843a-4bfc-b0d5-4a3f84cd59ee">Re: Gluten-free and vegetarian food ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't having an actual caterer. We will just be picking up the food from a local resturant to serve and they can't guarantee GF-free. Our baker does not do gf -free at this time. I'm making a lot of the extras myself and just really want to make sure they have something to eat.

If your caterer cant guarantee the GF option please let the guests know this. You may want to allow them to choose the option to bring their own plate. Let them know what you're serving so they can bring something as close as possible. I've done this on more than one occasion. I prefer to know ahead of time what the food is if possible so my food looks similar as to draw less stares.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    A good portion of the women on my father's side of the family are celiac, so we're offering a good selection of gluten-free.  We're also doing bbq, but we're getting it from a place that offers a decent gf menu so there will be lots of good things to eat.  And scout around for a gf bakery or check at your grocery store to see if they offer gf baked goods.  They'd like dessert too! 

We're getting mac and cheese for our lone vegetarian.  She likes it and it will be filling enough that she'll feel like she had a meal.  I was veg for a while and I always hated being relegated to the salad bar for dinner.
  • Options
    CD is not a choice, our daughter has Celiacs disease and it is not her choice. She is also allergic to fish and corn. Which means she can not eat things that eat corn. She is much better medically on a vegan diet.  We were very careful for her wedding to have food made for her and other vegan guests and also a cake that she could eat made from rice flour. Our daughter is also not bothered by bringing her own food.  We know someone who is also a chipandipatarian. She is self proclaimed too lazy to cook so she does not eat meat.  She can eat plenty of the salads we prepare just not the meat. As for our daughter at our other daughters wedding we will have things set aside in the kitchen and sealed so no one has the chance to cross contamiate anything. Fruits and vegetables and portabella from the grill. We are also not having any nuts at the wedding. I know this is a very common allergy and even though we are not allergic I have heard some adults are.  I would not want to have them worry.  The last thing I would want is someone violently ill when I can easily prevent it.  If your caterer can not offer something GF I suggest you tell the person coming that there will be no way to ensure the safety of their diet.  I am sure they will bring their own food or eat before they come.
  • Options
    We had a vegan, a vegetarian, someone with severe allergies (wheat, dairy, eggs, tree nuts and peanuts, etc.,) someone with allergies to berries, pineapple and mango, and someone with a garlic allergy attending our wedding. We did a pasta bar with three different sauces and had additional sides of roasted potatoes, sausage and meatballs, rice pilaf, roasted veggies, and salad. Almost everyone had a decent choice of foods and I made sure to tell our caterer that we had such sensitivites among our guests so that food info could be readily available. I also made a vegan cake but as the only vegan, that was mostly for me! The little boy with all the allergies had his own food which his mom packed for him- they're accustomed to doing that as the risk of cross-contamination is pretty big in a lot of social situations. Gluten free can be done pretty easily- I would do some research for the area that you're getting married in. Something like stuffed peppers, roasted chicken, and even ribs can be made as long as you're aware of the sauces and marinades. I'm vegan and my husband will confirm that I make a good dish of ribs- being unfamilar with the diet is just a good reason to expand your culinary horizon! Wink
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    patriciareesepatriciareese member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I think you’d need to hire a caterer that specializes in gluten-free cooking. You’d be surprised at how many foods contain gluten in some way or the other, even seasonings. If you don’t want to go with a special caterer, I think you should just order some gourmet gluten free foods online. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards