Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Help Make Me Pretty! (What spa treatments work best)

Hi Ladies,

As a reference, today I bought  my first makeup brushes! Still working on the makeup, Macy's Red sale is coming up so I'm hoping they do something for cosmetics.

Anyways, part 2 of my beauty plan is to make my skin glow. I use proactive twice daily, and a lotion with SPF daily. As a body wash, whatever is on sale. But I play/work out a lot...so my back isn't the prettiest.

I want to go to Aveda Beauty school (trying to be budget friendly and not run all over town with different coupons/deals). http://www.avedainstitutesbb.com/downloads/menu-metro.pdf

So my big question is...what is a facial? And how often should I have the treatment to see results? I'm looking for something that would help even my skin tone and shrink my pores (luckily proactive does a great job with the acne).

Second...would you ladies recommend a body exfoliation or body wrap? I'm looking more to clean up blackheads/even skin tone. Also, how often/how long between treatments would you recommend?

I'm sorry to ask here, but I feel really overwhelmed with all the different spa options. I plan to call and make an appointment, but I feel better knowing a little of what they are talking about.

Re: Help Make Me Pretty! (What spa treatments work best)

• I"m not to sure about what specific facial or products you s hould get because its hard not seeing the type of skin you have but I can give you this tip.  If you do want to try a new spa treatment I would do so immediatley because according to your profile your wedding is 62 days away and god forbid you have a reaction to a spa treatment you want plenty of time for it to disappear before your big day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If your wedding is 62 days away (I'm going off of PP, I didn't check), then I wouldn't worry about a body wrap. If you have acne on your back and are worried about evening skin, I would suggest an acne defense and exfoliator a couple of times week on your back, shoulders. As for facials, etc. It's hard to tell since I don't know if you have oily, combo, or dry skin. If you have dry skin i probably wouldn't continue Proactiv as a lot of people have said it can be really harsh. But, idk your skin. To even skin tone, I would suggest a mild exfoliator a couple of times a week on your face and to take care of pores/oilyness, I would suggest a clay mask (I use it just on my T-zone since my cheeks get dry) twice a week. I use Neutrogan Deep Clean Long Last Shine Control. I get it at Walmart. It can be used as a cleanser or a mask, but I only use it as a mask. It has rice protein which helps zap the oil in my skin and chill my pores.

If you need any more help, just ask on this board! =)
  • BTW, it's unlikely they'll put the makeup on sale.  Rather than doing makeup sales, prestige counters generally do gift with purchases.
  • Thanks ladies! You raise a lot of points about my skin type - truthfully I don't know what the baseline is, so I would call it average to slightly oily.

I just bought a Burt's Bee's sugar exofilating scrub, and I'll look into a clay mask. We'll see how it goes - that hardest part for me is to stay disciplined enough to use them!

And LuckyGirl - thanks for the tip! While I'm pretty resilant, you never know. I'll set something up soonish for my face and ask about a back treatment.

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate it!
  • Don't waste your money on a body wrap. They are relaxing but don't really do anything.
  • there are some great masks out there - I love the Mint Julep clay mask Queen Helene (CVS also makes there own version) along with Aztec Healing Clay (this one comes in powder and you can add vinegar or water - get it at Whole Foods)
    word of warning - usually for me at least if I haven't used a mask in a while I will break out right after (the mask brings all the oils to the surface) but I just wait 2 or 3 days and do a second round and voila! beautiful glowing skin
  • I've been using baking soda as an exfoliant. It's been working really well for my upper arm acne problems and is simple so less likely to lead to more breakouts (at least for my skin). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unfortunately there is nothing out there that will "shrink" pores or make them disappear, however regular masks, peels and facials will temporarily reduce their appearance. To get rid of blackheads, I highly recommend a facial with extractions. With the extractions, the esthetician will use a little tool to make them almost disappear! It's amazing. I had it done last week and was very impressed! I'm having it done again 4 days before the wedding.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Learning to make a good brisket is only the beginning. www.shiksatoyenta.wordpress.com
  • Have you ever tried infrared body wrap or airbrush spray tan. If you want to look great and want a quick glow, you should try Be Tan Dallas. The best deals on spray tan and body wrap in Dallas, Richardson and plano Area.

http://www.betandallas.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards