Rhode Island
Options

Reception line or not!

I have been to a few weddings where the reception line takes forever. I am thinking about not doing one, and spending time at each table talking with the guest. Is it a big deal not having one?

Re: Reception line or not!

• Options
    RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is actually customary in my culture to do both the receiving line and the guest greeting at the table. Gifts and well wishes are usually offered during this time but we are skipping the receiving line because we have so many guests (200). We decided to visit guests towards the end of dinner. I honestly don't think it is a big deal as you should do what works best for your crowd.
  • Options
    hollygb22hollygb22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we did it after our ceremony

i didn't want to waste reception time and I didn't want to feel obligated to cut my dinner short and go to every table

so we figured we'd do it right after the ceremony with just me and the husband. I hate going thru receiving lines and shaking hands with parents and bridal party people you don't know..i think that's what takes forever

plus..not everyone went to the ceremony, maybe 100 people, so it wasn't too too bad but i felt better going into the reception after greeting the majoirity of the guests already
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Same as holly, we stood at the bottom of the church stairs and got to say hello to everyone as they left. I always feel uncomfortable saying hi to bridal parties and parents that I don't know and those take WAY too long
    J & J 09.05.09 |My Blog | Married Bio

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    edited December 2011
    legallybride2, our plan is to do the same.  we'll only have about 90 guests, so we're gonna stand on the church steps without the bridal party.  So it'll just be me, my husband and our parents.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do one for the same reasons, we didn't want to waste time, they're usually awkward, we'd visit during dinner, etc...........

It's our biggest regret.  We didn't make it to all the tables.  We didn't even talk to some guests!  And we had under 100 people! 

I wish we'd done just us, or just us and our parents or something. 

I also wish we'd thought to take a photo with each guest at the same time.  It would be nice (for us and for our guests, especially family) to have a photo with the bride and groom.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We aren't doing a reception line but we are planning on doing pictures prior to the ceremony (for a number of reasons) which will allow us to enjoy cocktail hour with our guests.  Our Ceremony is onsite at the reception so we're may end up doing a casual version of the receving line seeing as we don't have far to go, but we're trying to keep it informal.  We also plan on visiting all the tables to say Hi.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards