Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How to class up BBQ

I am having a backyard/barn wedding at my Aunt's. My soon to be hubby wants BBQ-style foods. Does anyone have ideas or wedding they have been to that has had casual dinning like this. 

Re: How to class up BBQ

• egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    We went to one recently, it was an afternoon wedding, the women wore nicer sundresses and the men wore dress pants and button downs, some had ties or jackets, but you didn't really see any guy with a jacket and a tie.  They used real plates, silverware and serving pieces, had tableclothes and centerpieces.  It was really nice, I think the main thing that helped was the real plates/silverware and linens on the tables.  it didn't feel like a casual backyard bbq, it wasn't super formal, but it did have elements of formality.
  • i think having real placce settings is a good idea.  i think you could still have people in fancier clothes though.   i know a bride who's caterer does mini bison burgers and other unique foods.  you could also do salads in pretty serving bowls  and have drinks displayed nicely.  i've seen people store beer and mixed drinks in a wheelbarrow full of ice.  it's cute but still looks good.

• Thank you so much! Your reponses were very helpful. I feel inspired now!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_how-to-class-up-bbq?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:48cc82da-1bac-4245-87b0-8db1d29c52a9Post:67ff8de4-efa7-460d-843a-81d0fba3f051">Re: How to class up BBQ</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you so much! Your reponses were very helpful. I feel inspired now!!
    Posted by peachiejean[/QUOTE]

We are actually having a bbq buffet at our reception. Our wedding is in the evening (outdoors) but our reception venue is indoors (next month here in TX.. it will be HOT!!).

We aren't using real plates or silverware, but instead are using the clear, sturdy scroll plasticware. We are also using the plastic champagne/wine glasses as well and I was worried at first that this would look tacky. After I put it all together, along with my centerpieces, it actually looked very nice, considering it wall all clear plastic. We are paying for our wedding ourselves and trimmed back as much as we could on everything, but real plates/silverware/glasses just weren't in the budget.

Our wedding isn't real fancy or anything, but it's not quite as casual as a backyard bbq either. I know some people think having bbq at a reception is tacky in general, but there are ways of making it nice...and being that we're in TX, I think it's within the norm! lol
  • We are doing the same! A BBQ dinner at the reception, mainly we are having the linens, centerpieces, place setting, stringing lights, etc. to make it look really nice. We're even using mason jars for the glasses as just a fun touch.
    "And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." Genesis 2:23-24
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_how-to-class-up-bbq?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:48cc82da-1bac-4245-87b0-8db1d29c52a9Post:142e717e-7105-4fe1-9748-bd2afd42c981">Re: How to class up BBQ</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are doing the same! A BBQ dinner at the reception, mainly we are having the linens, centerpieces, place setting, stringing lights, etc. to make it look really nice. We're even using mason jars for the glasses as just a fun touch.
    Posted by jessandkaleb[/QUOTE]

We're doing the same thing.  We're having our ceremony in the field next to a barn which is also where we will be having our reception.  We're still in the beginning stages so far, but we're definitely firm in that we want a casual but classy bbq style reception with down home foods such as pulled pork, fried chicken, baked beans, corn bread, sweet tea, ... the whole shibang.  We've already gotten most of our antique blue mason jars to use as centerpieces with flowers inside.  We haven't decided yet on whether to do actual dinnerware and silverware or the nicer throwaway kind.  We're on a very limited budget, plus we'll be cleaning up afterwards ourselves.  But we have plenty of time to decide.  Our wedding isn't until 9/28/13. 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards