New York-New York City
Options

DJ for Westchester County Wedding

First thread/post so please be kind. :)

I am just starting my search for a DJ for my Sunday, May 29, 2011 wedding. Ironically, I was a club DJ in college but I have no clue where to begin in regards to finding a DJ.

I need a DJ for 4 hours (7:30-11:30) that isn't cheesy, a wide range of music but looking for a club appeal after dinner and some basic lighting. I guess I am not even sure what my options are.

Any ideas?

Re: DJ for Westchester County Wedding

• Options
    citytoshore09citytoshore09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend Spencer is an incredible DJ and he's based out of Westchester. He doesn't just do weddings, he does bars, clubs, and other events. So awesome.

His site is here:
    http://www.turntableevents.com

HTH! Email if you need anything. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

There are a lot of options.  Personally, you have time - 2011 is quite a bit aways, and while many are established, you may not want to book more than a year beyond your date.

Of course, it depends on how much you want to spend - DJ Gary Hoffman (who is also a vendor listed on the Knot) has been used by a lot of knotties.  Also popular is popshop dj (which I am using) and Colorblind DJ (I met with them and they were really great as well).  Sounds of Success is another good company, used and recommended by a few vendors in NYC.  There really are so many out there.

I wouldn't recommend The Pros - low price but unprofessional and many disaster stories by too many knotties to be just an aberration. 

You can also try weddingwire.com and projectweddings.com - both of which have great reviews by brides and a lot more vendors to choose from.  GL.

And don't worry about locale; most all DJs will travel and few will charge (and if they do, it's so minimal that it's worth it if you want a good dj).

• Options
    antonia178antonia178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_dj-westchester-county-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:114Discussion:4a6117c4-8c7e-4c43-823a-347ab4a7256aPost:c33622df-4f9c-49bb-b957-c45efe904936">Re: DJ for Westchester County Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are a lot of options.  Personally, you have time - 2011 is quite a bit aways, and while many are established, you may not want to book more than a year beyond your date. Of course, it depends on how much you want to spend - DJ Gary Hoffman (who is also a vendor listed on the Knot) has been used by a lot of knotties.  Also popular is popshop dj (which I am using) and Colorblind DJ (I met with them and they were really great as well).  Sounds of Success is another good company, used and recommended by a few vendors in NYC.  There really are so many out there. I wouldn't recommend The Pros - low price but unprofessional and many disaster stories by too many knotties to be just an aberration.  You can also try weddingwire.com and projectweddings.com - both of which have great reviews by brides and a lot more vendors to choose from.  GL. And don't worry about locale; most all DJs will travel and few will charge (and if they do, it's so minimal that it's worth it if you want a good dj).
    Posted by slbriz34[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to find a way to evaluate the DJs. I guess the only thing I can do is use the online reviews, personality/impressions, and if they have any resources such as mix CDs (Better than nothing?).

I am actually meeting with DJ Gaza this week. The only issue I have is that he doesn't have any lighting. We are having candle light reception so it's going to be a bit dark. I assume it would be weird without some sort of lighting?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depends on your venue and if you want lighting (I'm not using any).  Colorblind I know does lighting, the others not sure about.

As far as evaluation, used the online reviews to narrow down but then insist on at least three recent bride referrals.  If you don't get one then you know to move on.  I received referrals and contacted the brides on my own and knew from the replies who to use and not use, so you'll be okay.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DJ Serg Entertainment

Big Apple Entertainment

both are in westchester
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards