Students

To my fellow law students - law review?

Well I've just finished my first year and it's casenote competition time... And I'm having the worst time getting motivated...  I don't really even want to do law review - the competition is so awful and boring and I'm not really thrilled to earn 1 credit a semester for a ton of work that I'm going to hate (I'm not really the "spout out original ideas and make us follow you" type, not really political at all either). But I know that it's a big prestige thing to have been on law review and could help me get a job in the end.

So my question is whether I should suck it up and do it or whether I should stop wasting my time with something I don't actually want to do!?  (Sounds easy to a non-law student...) 

P.S. If it matters, I want to get into health law - working for a healthcare system or health association (i.e. American Medical Association, etc.) ideally or even for the state government in the Department of Health.

Re: To my fellow law students - law review?

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    If you want some advice from an attorney studying for the bar in another state...

Things like law review and moot court are what will separate you from others trying to get the same job.  Both show an higher than normal dedication to doing something that is tedious and most of the time, no fun at all - much like 75% of the actual practice of law.

Even though law review is a bit more prestigious, I competed to get on my school's Moot Court team - it tapped into my competitve nature.  In interviews four years ago after graduating, I was told by almost every fim that it was the Moot Court experience that got me the interview.  One partner went so far as to hold up a bankers box filled with resume's for the opening.  The last firm I workers for won't even call you for an interview without law review or moot court on your resume (this was a medium sized boutique firm).

Because of the Moot Court experience, my first job was one with a lot of responsibilty and I was able to build off that.  It let me get to a point that after just four years of practice, I have been contacted by firms to chair a department for them - unfortunately I'm not in state any more and had to turn them down. 

And in case you're wondering, I did not go to an Ivy League school.  I went to a small school in the midwest.  The job market I was in was Cleveland, which has one of the highest concentration of attorneys in the country.

Also, you are just a 1L.  As much as you think you want to go into a particular area of practice, this will likely change as you are exposed to more areas through your classes and clerking experience - and don't think for a minute that firms don't look for Law Review or Moot Court on the resumes of students looking for clerking jobs .  In recent years, these positions have turned incredibly competitive because of firms cutting back anywhere they can.

Sorry for the long post, but you really should be asking attorneys in your community this.  If you aren't already networking with them at CLEs or any recpetions held at your school, you need to start doing this...they are going to be your best source for advice (and job leads), not people in the same boat as you.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • @tldh:  Thanks so much for all your advice!  I guess I should've mentioned in the post that I am going to try out for Moot Court - I just think that it's a better fit for me.  I see a usefulness in the tools and skills I will gain being on Moot Court that Law Review just doesn't offer... I'm all about being practical and learning advocacy skills seems more useful than crafting really long comments...  Thanks again!!
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    I agree.  If you want some tryout advice, here it is:

When you are practicing for try out oral arguments, you are proabably not going to have anyone throwing questions at you.  Reread your brief and write down questions on slips of paper.  Put them in a hat and pull them out as you are making your argument.  You have to be able to jump back into your argument at any point after being interrupted.  If you are interrupted alot (hot bench) it is much easier than essentially giving a speech (cold bench).

I always thought of oral arguments as a press conference.  Believe me when I say you will know the law and facts on your issue better than the bench (I judged more practice rounds at my old school than I can count).  Look at the judges (all of them, not just the one who asked the question).  Finally, relax, don't lock your knees or put a death grip on the podium.

Your first round should be on brief.  Pay close attention to the argument of the other person.  In mine, that other person's arguments were so good, I ran to the library afterwards and copied them down to use when I argued off brief (She and I were two of the six of a field of fortysomething picked).

Good luck.  btw...my last firm hired Moot Courters before Law Review because every lawyer spent so much time in hearing rooms or court.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I would join a specialized journal, not the main journal or law review, if your school has them.  I'm on the "main" journal and I do twice as much work as my FI, who's on a non-main journal.  We're both getting practice; mine is just over-kill.  But I would recommend doing it, just because it's the only real way to learn detailed citation stuff that will matter when you're writing briefs, etc. in practice.  Good luck with the competition (if you do it)!
    imagePhotobucketimagePhotobucketPromote My Wedding
  • Depends on the person... a good friend of mine did Law Review, she wouldn't change it, but it nearly killed her fist semester.  I tried out for and made trial team, it is definitely a talking point at interviews, and employers like that you can organize a whole trial and get up and object/answer objections.  Quick on your feet kind of a thing. 

I would kill myself on Law Review, but it does get the LR students alot of job opportunities in my Law School. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a Law Reviewer and I hate it! lol.  It has yet to really bring me any opportunities, but I'm now a 3L so we shall see what happens.  It does keep you super busy though and planning a wedding at the same time is no joke.  I myself pretty much put all my wedding planning off until now, summer.  Needless to say, I have a lot of work to do.  Yay for wedding planning!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards