Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Too many bridesmaids?

My fiance and I are going to have about 100-115 people at our wedding. I have 6 girls that I really want to be my bridesmaids and he hwas 6 men that he wants to be his groomsmen. My mom keeps telling me that is too many for such a small wedding. Is 115 people really that small? Is 6 bridesmaids and 6 groomsmen too many for that many people?

Re: Too many bridesmaids?

• Options
    You shouldn't have bridesmaids and groomsmen to fill some kind of ratio or to cast roles in a play. You should include people who mean the most to you.

If that's six people each, go for it. It's not your mom's wedding and she needs to butt out. If you can afford to accommodate 12 people with flowers, limo space, thank you gifts and rehearsal dinner meals (for them and their dates), then that's fine.

Your sides don't have to match, either. If you both happen to want six people regardless of what your FI thinks, great. If you decided on six each and then started looking for six people to fill those slots, wrong idea ... ask your dearest friends, however many people that may be. If you have four and he has six, fine.
  • Options
    I had six on my side and four on his.  There were 40 guests total, including the WP.  One doesn't really have anything to do with the other.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    It's a large-ish wedding party but not too many people.  If you have 20 wedding party members and 5 guests, you might have too many wedding party members.  But if you have asked your absolute nearest and dearest and that totalled 6 on each side, then 12 is the perfect number of people for your WP.
  • Options

If that is how many people you want in your wedding thats how many people you should have.  I know a girl who got married 2 years ago and had 8 BMs and 8GM 2 jr BMs and 2 jr GM....  She only had 150 guests.  The idea is to ask who means the most to you and who you want to ask to be a part of your special day.

• Options
    My DD and SIL had 6 each and a guest list of 110.  It was fine.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Personally I think that's too big for that size of a wedding BUT if you truly truly want those 12 people standing up with you on your wedding day and are prepared to deal with a wedding party that big (transportation on the wedding day, hair appointments, gifts to your wedding party, rehearsal dinner numbers, etc), then do what makes you guys happy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have 6 and 6, with a guest list hovering around 200.  I think you're fine, OP.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else.  If those are the friends you want in your WP, then have them!  There is no set rule for a WP to Guest ratio.  :-)
  • Options
    prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    We have 9 on each side so no 6 isn't too many.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • Options
    i think it's fine. and i like when it's even on both sides.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're having 140-150 and 6 on each side so I think you're fine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    January-January Siggy Challenge "Wedding Bands"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    167 Invited image 147 Ready to pary image 20 Missing the fun image 0 Slacking on responding image RSVP Date: December 1st, 2010
  • Options
    I don't think it is - though I'm inviting 50 people and 10 of those are in the wedding party.

I use this as perspective: a friend is a bridesmaid in a wedding tomorrow where there are 12 bridesmaids and 12 groomsmen. Yeah.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have 200 people coming and there are 10 bridesmaids and 9 groomsmen.  We talked and talked it over about whether it was too many and decided these are the most important people in our lives.  It came down to, "Why not?"

You shouldn't have to follow anyone's rules for what is too many.  Ratios are for math class, not weddings.  Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do!!
  • Options
    I have 7 BMs and he has 5 GM. We are only having 100 people at our wedding. There are no rules about stuff like this. Stick to your guns, if you don't have the people up there that mean a lot to you- you'll regret it.
  • Options
    We are having 6 BM & 6 GM, and about 150 guests.  So I don't think you have too many!  If those are the people you want to stand up with you, go for it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That is not too many. My friend's wedding had 15 bridesmaids and 15 groomsmen and there were only about 100 people at the ceremony!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards