July 2012 Weddings
Options

Unity Candles Or Sand

Ladies which one are you useing?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Unity Candles Or Sand

• Options
    Neither. I think sand is better for outdoor weddings.
  • Options
    We arent' using either.  And just for fun...sand isn't always best for an outdoor wedding--especially Phoenix during monsoon season:

FI wants to do the God's knot ceremony, so we may do that.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    I think we're going to do sand if we do either. Definitely not candles since our ceremony is outdoors!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    We are doing candles.

Sand is a nice idea, but the last beach wedding I went to, it was SO windy that the poor moms really struggled to pour....so I would think twice about doing sand outside if there is any chance of wind at all.
  • Options
    Nancy00714Nancy00714 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    i went to a winter indoor wedding once (and it was the first time i saw the sand thing) and I didn't think anything of it (meaning how weird it is that they are using sand indoors during winter) because I was just thinking what the 2 colors meant...the coming together of 2 people.  That being said maybe it would be a little difficult to do it ouside if you were in a windy area.

I love the idea of sand because you can display it somewhere if you put it in a nice vase.  What do you do with the unity candles?  Maybe use them for baby's baptism? 

I had kind of been thinking of doing the sand in Fi's favorite soccer team's colors, lol.  I quickly talked myself out of it!

Edit: I'm doing neither...I only have a half hour ceremony time so I'm just going to focus on some readings and vows. 
    weddingcake-1
  • Options
    We're doing neither.  The whole ceremony itself symbolizes unity and we think the other things are kinda cheesy.
  • Options
    We're possibly doing a sand ceremony. Which ever one we use we won't have mothers involved since FI's mom passed when he was 12. I don't know though. Maybe we won't do either. It depends on if I find something I like and don't think will look cheesy in 5-10 years sitting somewhere in our house. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    Neither. I personally don't like them. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are doing a sand ceremony since we are getting married by the beach and I think it's a cute idea!  We are having myself, fiance, my fiance's daughter/my step daughter to-be involved too as a way of showing we are all becoming a family:-)
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We are not doing a unity ceremony. 
    Cate Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I haven't decided yet if I'm doing either, but if I do, I'm leaning more towards sand since my wedding is outdoors. I think wind will be more treacherous with a candle than with sand - although neither is ideal. :)
  • Options
    We are doing sand because I never liked the idea that you always have to blow out the unity candle...sad I know, but I am very literal...Laughing
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    We are doing a unity candle.  My mom ordered us a beautiful candle from Etsy with our names and wedding date.  I think it will be a nice keepsake.  We are having an interfaith ceremony (FI is Jewish and I was raised Catholic) so the unity candle is really the only Catholic tradition we are having, aside from my dad walking me down the aisle. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Probably neither.....I like the love letter/ wine box thing that you open on your 10 year anniversary or whenever......but I'm not sure yet!
  • Options
    neither
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options

We're doing both a sand ceremony and a lasso ceremony.

I love the sand ceremonies. It's a great visual as to what is actually happening during the ceremony. The coming together of two very different and seperate entities into one beautiful new "creation" - and they cannot be seperated again. I also like the idea of a keep-sake.

I actually wasn't planning on having ANY readings - but our officiant really suggested on having three -_- and she says she has loads of non-religious ones to choose from..so we'll see.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_unity-candles-or-sand?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:4a5eba47-a470-4153-a64a-65633828e796Post:06ad4ab2-8a7c-46d1-a5ff-b2aa31640afa">Re: Unity Candles Or Sand</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing both a sand ceremony and a <strong>lasso ceremony.</strong> I love the sand ceremonies. It's a great visual as to what is actually happening during the ceremony. The coming together of two very different and seperate entities into one beautiful new "creation" - and they cannot be seperated again. I also like the idea of a keep-sake. I actually wasn't planning on having ANY readings - but our officiant really suggested on having three -_- and she says she has loads of non-religious ones to choose from..so we'll see.
    Posted by BrightFirefly[/QUOTE]

bright I can't remember if this has been explained before or not...what is a lasso ceremony??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards