July 2013 Weddings

NWR: Not taking things personally.

So, I'd like some advice from you lovely ladies.

I sew/do crafts on the side and recently had a request from a friend/aquaintance (we used to hang out in a group together and I've known for 7.5+ yrs).  I've had problems with friends in the past (expecting free labor, not paying on time, etc.) so this is actually the first friend commission I've done in a LONG time.  It backfired on me, but now the issue at hand is my fault, no theirs.

I was given two related projects and I cut them a deal on what I thought was a fair price (less than I probably would have charged - they didn't ask for the discount but I felt inclined) and they wanted the first project done by mid-May (which I delivered on time and discussed project two) and the second one done more recently.  As you know we've had a lot of stuff happen in our family this month (not all  of which I've shared on-line) - two deaths, our vacation, both FSKs each had a serious behavioral issue within a few days of one another and Anya was sick for about a week.  Well, I was supposed to finish & deliver project 2 the weekend that Anya got REALLY sick.  I was planning on finishing after work before I headed down - no big deal - and then I ended up being hours late for work because I had to clean up dog diahrrea/vomit and spent the weekend cleaning up after her + organizing our house.  I didn't want to hurry them along and send them down half-finished with FI, so I e-mailed the person I'd been in contact with, apologized, said we had a series of family emergencies and I wasn't going to make it and that I would only charge them cost of materials for the inconvenience. 

Yes I could have gotten done with them sooner and it wouldn't have been an issue, but I waited until the fabric was on sale & I had coupons so I could get them a better deal and then we were working crazy amounts of OT at work until last week.  Either way, I dropped the ball, waited to do the finishing touches until the week before and it bit me in the butt.  I felt that my offer was more than acceptable but I'm sort of in limbo. 

Through the grapevine, I hear that they've already contact another seamstress we know about making the same thing for them in the hours between when I sent my apology + offer and that night when I was supposed to deliver them. 

Business is business and I get that, but I can't help but feel hurt by this situation.  I F'd up, I apologized, and I offered a solution.   Haven't heard anything back and that was a week ago.  Any tips for not taking this personally?  So far I'm failing at it.
Formerly known as flutterbride2b

Re: NWR: Not taking things personally.

• i would say send 1 more email and see if still wish to have item.  i would also say i heard thru grapevine......
  • Like you said business is business. You did what you could given your family situations ..frankly, i would have set projects aside so I commend you for doing it all. With that said I think the buyer maybe felt somewhat worried that it wouldn't be finished in time and checked on someone else. Granted you did give the person a heads up, which again was very big of you ...not many people would do the same. I would offer up another email. You already made the product, right? So its only fair you get paid...if you haven't already. It's not your fault there were other circumstances...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_nwr-not-taking-things-personally?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:011602f2-80a6-4263-9e44-a2c50b788981Post:e6b749cc-efa9-484b-a96a-84f9534018a2">Re:NWR: Not taking things personally.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Like you said business is business. You did what you could given your family situations ..frankly,<strong> i would have set projects aside so I commend you for doing it all.</strong> With that said I think the buyer maybe felt somewhat worried that it wouldn't be finished in time and checked on someone else. Granted you did give the person a heads up, which again was very big of you ...not many people would do the same. I would offer up another email. You already made the product, right? So its only fair you get paid...if you haven't already. It's not your fault there were other circumstances...
    Posted by Getting2Vowels[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks, I appreciate that.  The base project was done and great, but for whatever reason (stress, lack of energy, etc.) I stopped being able to think straight so I had to walk away/go to bed at various points when I was finishing up the little details.  I'm holding off on attaching the final piece that makes them truly custom until I hear back because it would be easier to modify for someone else if they decide they don't want them anymore. It should only take maybe an hour to attach the custom applique on all 5 pieces.  </div>
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I would say you're doing everything you can as a vendor. As pp said, do the one more email and let it go. It's going to hurt because you take pride in your business and you know them. But you have done everything you can and take the time to forgive yourself.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards