Military Brides
Options

Calindi

How are you feeling? When will you get better?
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Calindi

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the thoughts!  Today is worse, much worse.  But I'm glad that I went to the doctor so I at least know what it is and am taking the antivirals so it doesn't get any worse than this!

Possibly TMI, but the rash is now oozing, and I have sudden jolts of pain from various parts of the rash, which is spread from in the middle of my chest and wraps around the right side of my torso to the middle of my back, basically along the bra line.  It's pretty much sucky.  I'm icing it, and that seems to help.  Apparently once the rash scabs over, I'm no longer contagious.  I was supposed to be at a big event today, and I couldn't go.  And I was supposed to go to a big networking thing tomorrow, and I can't go.  And I was supposed to have a girls' night out on Friday, and I can't go.  And FI is supposed to be having a BBQ at our house on Saturday for his law review, and he had to cancel.  It's just sucky.  I'm just really hoping these sudden stabs of pain don't continue - apparently a common lingering symptom is ongoing pain for weeks or months after the rash is gone.  Goody, right?

Anniversary

• Options
    LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh.

I'm so sorry! I can't believe you randomly got that.

What does the doctor recommend? Any Advil or anything?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh Cal... I am sooo sorry about what you're going through. I read it the other day but didn't get a chance to post my T&Ps to you, but trust me, they're there! Seriously, I have an irrational fear of getting shingles. It just seems so awful :(
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    It comes from stress.  The old chicken pox virus came active again in my nerves.  It's weird.  Basically, my crazy ex-boss made me sick by causing me so much stress.  I blame him!

No, in all honesty, I need to learn how to deal with stress better.  I've been having anxiety issues, and it's clearly affecting my health and immune system.

The doctor basically told me not to go near anyone who hasn't had chicken pox or the vaccine. To take antivirals every 6 hours (yes, I have to wake up and go back to sleep) and Benadryl to help with itching (it doesn't help) and topical ointment to help sooth the rash. And to warn anyone who I had spent time with since the rash showed up that they should get a chicken pox vaccine pronto if they haven't had chicken pox yet.  So that was a fun bunch of phone calls since I was at a party on Saturday with a bunch of FI's law school friends... and my new colleague, and all the partners of the company.  The rash showed up on Thursday and I just basically ignored it.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calindi-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ba606b5f-c6cf-49f4-ab1d-68b16d1f243dPost:4575b54f-c523-4f2e-958c-263669cda188">Re: Calindi</a>:
    [QUOTE]It comes from stress.  The old chicken pox virus came active again in my nerves.  It's weird.  Basically, my crazy ex-boss made me sick by causing me so much stress.  I blame him! <strong>No, in all honesty, I need to learn how to deal with stress better.  I've been having anxiety issues, and it's clearly affecting my health and immune system.</strong>The doctor basically told me not to go near anyone who hasn't had chicken pox or the vaccine. To take antivirals every 6 hours (yes, I have to wake up and go back to sleep) and Benadryl to help with itching (it doesn't help) and topical ointment to help sooth the rash. And to warn anyone who I had spent time with since the rash showed up that they should get a chicken pox vaccine pronto if they haven't had chicken pox yet.  So that was a fun bunch of phone calls since I was at a party on Saturday with a bunch of FI's law school friends... and my new colleague, and all the partners of the company.  The rash showed up on Thursday and I just basically ignored it.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I went to the gyno this morning and she told me the same thing. Basically she said I needed therapy. Ha.

I'm not opposed at all and it doesn't surprise me but it still was kinda like "oh... okay"
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope you feel better real soon Cal!!! =D
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calindi-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ba606b5f-c6cf-49f4-ab1d-68b16d1f243dPost:627b5b58-ab6c-4a82-94bb-6fec132a3899">Re: Calindi</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calindi : I went to the gyno this morning and she told me the same thing. Basically she said I needed therapy. Ha. I'm not opposed at all and it doesn't surprise me but it still was kinda like "oh... okay"
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Ooof... well, I'm sure trying to conceive is stressful!!!  I'm a big proponent of therapy, but I sadly can't afford it right now.  With my crappy insurance, it would be $60 per visit.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That sucks Cal.

I was in therapy for my eating issues but going through eating issues also affected my therapy. I'd stop going, find a new one, stop going, etc.

I'd go again but I feel like I don't have time. But I guess if it was important to me, I'd make time.

Oh life's adult decisions!

Treat yourself to some good tv, good magazines, and hang in there lady. I'll be thinking about you!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Cal, that sounds awful! :(
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    C I've been busy the past few days but I am so sorry you are going through this!! :( 
  • Options
    AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I hope you feel better! I know several people that have gotten it, and it looks so painful. One of my friends actually had it last month and I was talking to her about it and she got serious pain meds from her doctor. If the pain continues I would ask your doctor if they could prescribe you something. 

I'm on the same boat as you with trying to handle stress better. I am terrible about it, I will get stressed over things I can't do anything about it is really pretty stupid. I don't know what triggers your stress, but for me taking 30 minutes out of my day for ME helps. When I get overwhelmed I tend to meditate a lot.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    I gotta learn how to meditate.  I literally wake up stressed about things I feel like I should do or should have done better.  I also have had weird anxiety issues - it started as claustrophobia, but now it pops up about weird things.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So my problem with meditation is (remeber, I've never tried it) that I can't shut down my brain. So how do I even begin to try it if I have such high anxiety?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calindi-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ba606b5f-c6cf-49f4-ab1d-68b16d1f243dPost:3f4c86fc-0e5e-4238-bb6c-8d730c9a6de3">Re: Calindi</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my problem with meditation is (remeber, I've never tried it) that I can't shut down my brain. So how do I even begin to try it if I have such high anxiety?

Yep, that's my problem, too.  I have a problem with insomnia when I get stressed because I can't stop my thoughts from rolling one on top of another.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calindi-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ba606b5f-c6cf-49f4-ab1d-68b16d1f243dPost:70debdb0-3368-49ca-a0c9-cb849ec02b19">Re: Calindi</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calindi : Yep, that's my problem, too.  I have a problem with insomnia when I get stressed because I can't stop my thoughts from rolling one on top of another.

Have you ever tried Melatonin? I swear by it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calindi-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ba606b5f-c6cf-49f4-ab1d-68b16d1f243dPost:f94a4897-8f5c-473a-8685-1fb0c3190525">Re: Calindi</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calindi : Have you ever tried Melatonin? I swear by it.
    Ditto!! My doc wanted to put me on Ambien but I was concerned about taking it so I tried Melatonin and it worked for me!!
  • Options
    AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calindi-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ba606b5f-c6cf-49f4-ab1d-68b16d1f243dPost:25842ff0-68da-4290-80a8-92dd81f0a84f">Re: Calindi</a>:
    [QUOTE]I gotta learn how to meditate.  I literally wake up stressed about things I feel like I should do or should have done better.  I also have had weird anxiety issues - it started as claustrophobia, but now it pops up about weird things.

I took a creative therapy class (I kid you not, we colored and sang songs for half of class...haha), but they taught us tips for relaxation techniques.The whole, lay down, close your eyes, imagine a relaxing place...blah blah blah...

My favorite part was first you lay down, close your eyes and clentch up every muscle in your body and hold it for 30 seconds and then release...I think you are suppose to imagine that those are your stressors leaving your body. Then imagine yourself in the place you feel most relaxed, then you imagine how looks, how it feels, how it smells...basically you have to focus 100% of your mind as to not allow for distractions. If you do get distracted you are supposed to return to that place of focus.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    C- I hope that you start to feel better soon.  I know it is just awful! My mom had it and I remember her feeling just awful.  Get better soon!!!

Hike- hugs to you.  I am sure I will be the same way when H gets home and we start trying.  I always have in the back of my mind that I am going to be too old to get pregnant.  It is one of my fears. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

HUGS FOR EVERYONE!!!!

And really, try melatonin.. It works really well for me. 

Photobucket
  • Options
    shayNnikshayNnik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    C, what type of topical ointment are you using? Aquaphor always works well for us, so it's a must-have in our house. It definitely helps with the itching, although we've never had anything as severe as shingles. Hope you get to feeling better soon!
    imageimage
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    MUST HAVES: Clothes, Groom
    WISHES: Wedding planner(check!), Honeymoon, Blue Petyl Bouquet
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Shay, I live by Aquaphor!  I have a big container next to my bed.  I've been putting on hydrocortisone cream and Goldbond Lotion, which seems to be helping, but really the pain is nerve-related, not topical.  So there's not much I can do.  Apparently once the blisters finish oozing and crust over, I can use Capzasin, which burns like hell but will help stop the nerve pain.

Anniversary

• Options
    ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    C, read up on mindfulness from dialectical behavioral therapy. That might help you begin to focus on one thought or activity at a time. Amanda-I use that technique often, especially with kids, even if they are sitting and doing it, it works.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Just got prescribed Tylenol 3. Never had it before, but I'm hoping it will make me more comfortable. Last time I had narcotics was after my wisdom teeth were extracted. If I start posting incoherent junk in a few hours, I blame the drugs!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards