North Carolina
Options

English & Out of my depth - Licences

I am English (and divorced) planning to marry an American man in North Carolina without taking up residence.I have tried emailing Greensboro to find out the paperwork I'd need for a licence but I've had no reply.

Anyone know a more responsive county office that I could email or have first hand experience?

Re: English & Out of my depth - Licences

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I believe you need to get the license in the county that you're planning on getting married in. If emailing hasn't worked, have you tried calling?

Would you be here at some point so that you could go to the office?

All we had to take was our SS card, and I think our birth certificate along with our drivers license.

Are you out of the country? You may have to have more than that if you're not in the country / not a US citizen.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MyUserName1MyUserName1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should speak with an immigration attorney in North Carolina before proceeding any further.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE as I am a paralegal, not an attorney.  
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The Wake County register of deeds website has some good info on it.  The requirements should be the same for each county in NC.  <<snip>>

http://rod.wakegov.com/index.aspx?page=101

Edited to remove the parts that were incorrect.  I should know better.  Note to self: don't knot before coffee.
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_english-out-of-depth-licences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:9512f29f-a09f-4bb4-b799-8dc64ce336fcPost:357c99b6-9f96-440d-bf1c-d97d5e7ddda7">Re: English & Out of my depth - Licences</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should speak with an immigration attorney in North Carolina before proceeding any further. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE as I am a paralegal, not an attorney.  
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

This may not be applicable.  She said she wasn't going to set up a residence.  It's possible she's not trying to immigrate at all.  In which case, she wouldn't need an immigration attorney. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_english-out-of-depth-licences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:9512f29f-a09f-4bb4-b799-8dc64ce336fcPost:5dec7bd8-f5f9-40e4-ab60-340e9e1ebf59">Re: English & Out of my depth - Licences</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: English & Out of my depth - Licences : This may not be applicable.  She said she wasn't going to set up a residence.  It's possible she's not trying to immigrate at all.  In which case, she wouldn't need an immigration attorney. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

<div>You are not necessarily correct, if OP is currently in England and getting married in North Carolina, she should speak to an attorney before coming into the country for the wedding.  As I am not an attorney, ethics regulations prevents me from saying anything more specifically.  </div>
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

As a non-citizen, the register of deeds should still be able to tell you what documentation you need.  If you are not trying to obtain citizenship, you should not need to speak to an immigration attorney as you are not immigrating to ths US (I do not specialize in family law so that is not legal advice).  I've never had a problem getting someone at the Guilford County ROD on the phone -- you might just want to try to call early in the morning when they are not so busy.  That might be tough with time differences, but that is your best bet. 

Now, I would say, if you are planning on living in England after getting married, you might want to speak to someone in England about how to make sure a marriage in the US will be valid in England -- are there extra steps you have to take, etc...

• Options
    fatkitty37fatkitty37 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hello & thank you
    yes we are planning to live in england and I've taken legal advice here for importing americans  Smile

its the getting the license bit that was flooring me

it seems like the best bet is to decide on the spur of the moment to get married not preplan 
    Embarassed

so i'm accidentally getting information on how to spontaneously get a license
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad to hear you talked to someone already!

It would be terribly sad if INS didn't let you go through customs when you got here for your wedding! 

(I do work in immigration, and people who are not planning to immigrate DO get stopped sometimes because they didn't take steps to prove that they aren't planning to stay in the country after the wedding illegally!)
  • Options
    carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also just fyi:  you dont have to get your marriage license in the county you are planning to get married in. In the state of NC the license is good for any county in NC. For instance, I live in Goldsboro, NC (Wayne Co.) but I'm getting married in Surf City, NC (Onslow Co.). I got my license in Wayne Co because that is close to my home and it is good for Onslow Co. They ask you on the papers you have to fill out what county you are planning on getting married in. So any county will do. Sure makes it easier! (:
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards