May 2012 Weddings

WTF, post office?

I mailed out our invites Feb. 20th.  I JUST received a returned invite in the mail today....a month and 10 days after I originally mailed them.  And then we heard through the grapevine that someone didn't receive theirs - they moved since they gave us our address, but the invite never got returned to us OR forwarded.

You'd think after charging me $1.95 per invite to mail (long story), they would at least make it to their destination or be returned to us in a timely manner.  WTF, post office?  And you wonder why people are mailing physical letters less.
photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: WTF, post office?

• I'm still mad about that ugly "aloha" postcard stamp I had to buy.  I just couldn't justify spending more on a rsvp postcard.

But yeah, that's ridiculous.
    Anniversary
  • OMG! I was calling people who hadn't RSVP'd yet, or so I thought, and they told me they had sent their RSVPs back weeks ago... and these are trustworthy people, i highly doubt they were lying... so at least 5 RSVP's got lost in the mail. WTF?!?!
    AND: we ordered some flatware and napkins for the wedding day and the post office lost one of the boxes. My dad has been going back and forth with them to try and find it. grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! it just makes me aggrivated. I know things happen but it seems like a lot of us have been having issues.....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_wtf-post-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:b56597f8-81a4-4351-997b-48ad72b54a5dPost:bbdae7c2-f56c-4b6c-918c-9da874b6a26c">WTF, post office?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I mailed out our invites Feb. 20th.  I JUST received a returned invite in the mail today....a month and 10 days after I originally mailed them.  And then we heard through the grapevine that someone didn't receive theirs - they moved since they gave us our address, but the invite never got returned to us OR forwarded. You'd think after charging me $1.95 per invite to mail (long story), they would at least make it to their destination or be returned to us in a timely manner.  WTF, post office?  And you wonder why people are mailing physical letters less.
    Posted by AurorasEnvy[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Try $2.30 a pop... and I've lost count of the people who claim they never got theirs. I can't even complain b/c what are they going to do? It's not like I bought a dress that didn't fit. Just ugh... lol</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • This is NWR but my mom mailed my grandmother two packages for her birthday. We live in DE and my grandmom is in Las Vegas. She got one package on her birthday and the other 6 months later. When my mom called to inquire about the second package, she was told that USPS has no way to keep track of anything but not to worry because "it'll turn up eventually".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My FMIL emailed me a couple weeks ago because a shower invite had come back to her stamped "invalid address" and "home vacant". She wanted a phone number or email for my friend so she could get a hold of her to invite her.

She gave me the address she'd mailed it to so I texted my friend and asked her to verify the address. We had it correct but apparently, my friend doesn't live in her own house, according to the USPS.

now I'm getting worried about my wedding invites, if everyone is having so many problems. And they wonder why everyone complains about the post office...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. ~Nora Ephron, When Harry Met Sally
  • I mailed mine about three weeks ago too, and I just got one back in the mail yesterday.  Really???  It took three weeks for you to send it back?  AND it’s the RIGHT address. 

I also got a text message from someone I sent a STD to saying he hadn’t received his.  I had to reassure him that he was still invited to the wedding.

What a PITA.

• I received an invite back from a family member saying the address for this person does not exist. I find it ironic since she received the STD we sent out to the exact same address. I guess the PO missed the memo.

Additionally, a friend received both STD and invite, but when my MoH sent the shower invites, the PO could not locate the apartment number of the building. Oy, they really need to work on things!
    Anniversary
  • I've been having issues too. Gotten a few back stating they were 'unable to forward as addressed'. I've been so paranoid while addressing these invites that I'd be putting the wrong city with the wrong state or street number and street, etc. Turns out that a couple of the people have moved from the address we sent it to and were still receiving forwarded mail. I think the PO decides that with a special envelope like our invites need to come back to us and addressed properly instead of just forwarding it on. Making us pay for the re-send. I am paranoid also about not getting all my rsvps back, because they are pretty much 3x5 envelopes that contain the rsvp card. I'm afraid that some of them might wind up on the mail room floor or lost in the mail truck. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_wtf-post-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:b56597f8-81a4-4351-997b-48ad72b54a5dPost:de30975b-094f-4fdf-9a1d-ffed85987839">Re: WTF, post office?</a>:
    [QUOTE]. I am paranoid also about not getting all my rsvps back, because they are pretty much 3x5 envelopes that contain the rsvp card. I'm afraid that some of them might wind up on the mail room floor or lost in the mail truck. :(
    Posted by draggiefire[/QUOTE]

I guess this is when you start calling to make sure they got the invite and find out if they are coming! Very frustrating, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. ~Nora Ephron, When Harry Met Sally
  • I mailed out my invitations on Monday March 5. People locally started to receive them on Wednesday March 7. My sister who lives locally hasn't received hers yet. She has been having weird USPS issues with her mailbox and they have been sending all of her mail back to sender... my mom still hasn't received it back. 

The mail is seriously weird and annoying at times. USPS should have faster return to sender policies.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • And after all that and after confirming the address with my guest whose invite I got back...it was the correct address after all.  Double WTF....they should pay for me to mail it a second time!
  • If I were you...I would take it back to the post office and TELL them that they need to send it again at no charge because you verified that it was the CORRECT address and you're NOT paying extra postage for their ineptitude. But that's just me....I don't take $#@t like that lying down...  Good luck!
    178 Are Invited
    image 126 Are ready to Par-tay!!image 52 Are party poopers.image 0 Can't find the mailbox.image
    RSVP Date April 14
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The USPS lost our honeymoon payment for our cottage rental in Hawaii!! Payment was overdue! I had to have my bank put stop payment on the check 30 fee and send a new check to the exact same adress! Besides that, we also have a guest who didn't receive her invitation! Grrr!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't had any big problems with them but I understand the being slow thing. Our STD's went out in like Oct. I got one about a month ago before invites went out that said returned. That the person had moved or something. Why I was just then getting it I have no idea!
  • I know a girl that got one returned to her months AFTER she got married!
  • Makes me wonder who else didn't get their invite that I haven't heard about.  I guess we'll find out when I call all the RSVP stragglers!
  • This is why I was so nervous when I dropped the invites into the mailbox! I don't trust USPS! This is NWR but we JUST got FI's grandmother's Christmas card she send us a couple of weeks ago....it was postmarked Dec. 22, 2011. Where was it between then and when got it?? So strange.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards