Catholic Weddings
Options

NWR- Plan B :/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/shippensburg-university-plan-b-vending-machines_n_1260086.html

Just thought I'd share for those of you who might not know. Please tell me this won't be a widespread thing! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR- Plan B :/

• Options

I'd never even heard of the school until I saw that this afternoon.

I think a good umber of schools, both public and private (and/or Catholic) will fall in line to be next.

I could be wrong though

• Options
    If you want to get into a discussion, go over to the nest.  I think it's on current events right now
  • Options
    Yea I saw that in the news too, I can't believe it is one of the state schools in the state I grew up in.  It just makes it okay and very accessible.  I don't think its right.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • Options
    That is so gross. It's not candy for crying out loud.  And getting it out of a machine means you can get as many as you want at a time and you aren't informed of the huge risks. Blegh
  • Options
    Apparently the machine has been on the campus for several years.
    Anniversary

• Options
    That just seems like a bad idea.  And it only further expands the notion of not having consequences. 

• Options
    Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic, but I feel like it's not much different than grabbing it at CVS. I feel like they're practically already handed out like candy anyways. Not that I think that's a good thing!
  • Options
    True, Riss.  But I guess I'm thinking that taking out the personal contact with the pharmacist makes it easier.  In college I had friends who would complain that it's so uncomfortable getting Plan B from a pharmacist, and how you just know he/she is judging you.  They would have loved a vending machine. It would take away the consequence of "feeling judged" by the pharmacist.

• Options
    What irritates me the most is the reasoning is to save them from embarrassment.  I hate that people think of sex as something that they should be free of the consequences (babies, "embarrassment", general responsibilities).  if you have sex knowing that Plan B could be a possiblity for you but you can't possibly handle the "embarrassment" then DON'T HAVE SEX!

It's absolutely crazy what people feel entitled to these days.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-plan-b?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:30d86471-c850-44a3-b81a-c301b25924f5Post:7e353c51-f1c6-4b67-bd77-c83201db4530">Re: NWR- Plan B :/</a>:
    [QUOTE]What irritates me the most is the reasoning is to save them from embarrassment.  I hate that people think of sex as something that they should be free of the consequences (babies, "embarrassment", general responsibilities).  if you have sex knowing that Plan B could be a possiblity for you but you can't possibly handle the "embarrassment" then DON'T HAVE SEX! It's absolutely crazy what people feel entitled to these days.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I have said something along these lines to students before.  "If you're not mature enough to talk about it, you're not mature enough to do it."
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-plan-b?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:30d86471-c850-44a3-b81a-c301b25924f5Post:00d63b1b-5d3e-4885-af14-e7fd7a4374fc">Re: NWR- Plan B :/</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR- Plan B :/ : I have said something along these lines to students before.  "If you're not mature enough to talk about it, you're not mature enough to do it."
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

<div>Amen!</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    What I really hate (in addition to the fact that it's even legal) is there are no medical professionals involved anywhere in the process.  These are serious drugs with serious consequences.  To give young, uninformed women access to them with no discussion of their medical history or potential complications is insanity!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A related story:

tl;dr version: A teacher/coach in Austin, TX has been arrested for purchasing Plan B and giving it to a female student.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-plan-b?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:30d86471-c850-44a3-b81a-c301b25924f5Post:7be55c16-1b86-40d6-b564-10b15d226153">Re: NWR- Plan B :/</a>:
    [QUOTE]What I really hate (in addition to the fact that it's even legal) is there are no medical professionals involved anywhere in the process.  These are serious drugs with serious consequences.  To give young, uninformed women access to them with no discussion of their medical history or potential complications is insanity!
    Posted by jfellows82[/QUOTE]

This. Besides wishing that they were not legal, I don't think that they should be handed out without a prescription. 

I agree with others that this modern idea that there should be sex without consequences is highly contrary to nature and really a disturbing trend in our Culture of Death.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I completely agree. The idea that something like this is available with no medical consultation at all is very distressing, and it just encourages the concept of casual sex. It makes me so sad...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I attended Shippensburg for my masters degree and yes the vending machine has been on campus for awhile. Actually most of the students did not even know it exsisted on campus and I worked with many students during my assistantship on campus. I did not know about it until a few months before I graduated here in December. Many other college campus also have this, but have not been made public yet or in the news like Ship. I don't agree on it, but it is not in the resident halls, campus store, or in a vending machine next to poptarts and chips. It is located in the student health center in a area where students can go, as well get counseled if they have questions. I think it will be interesting to see what else students will be able to purchase on campuses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Something to chew on: MANY people who get Plan B are the victims of sexual assault, date rape, etc. Don't be so quick to judge the women who may need this pill for whatever reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards