Hawaii

2 weeks...

...and pretty much freaking out...

1) after alterations my dress doesn't fit right.  Tailor claims it will be "better after it's pressed" but that's not very comforting.  Thinking of buying a sash in our color to hide some of the new tummy imperfections (like the big roll at the bottom of the darts)

2) hair won't hold a curl.  Even with lots and lots of products. Which is a fail for the hair style I'm going for and trying to do myself (which you can see on the Hair 411 board from a week or two ago). BOO!

3) freaking out only slightly about DIY makeup, mostly because I don't know what my complexion will be after 4 days on Maui, but I think I can just buy a few different shades at Sephora and return whatever I don't use so I'm feeling a little better about that.

4) along the complexion lines, still need to figure out how to cover up tan lines.  Any suggestions?!  Thinking about mystic tanning but am not sure how much that costs/lasts or if it will rub onto the dress?

OK, sorry I needed to whine a little bit, but I just don't want to look back at my wedding pics and think that I didn't look as good as he does (and he looks good always so that's no help)!

If you have any comforting words or words of wisdom in this situation please send them my way!  Feeling totally overwhelmed and stressed at the moment! :)

Re: 2 weeks...

• edited December 2011
    I say if curl doesn't hold after all your efforts, it's probably not going to hold in Hawai'i either and it's time to think of something new. My hair doesn't hold curl to save my life either and the times I did curl it on the islands, it was even worse for being out doors. Save yourself the hassle or get it done professionally.

Tan lines - get yourself a bathing suit that has a neckline that suits your dress! Then you can tan away without worrying about lines.

Make-up: You'll be gorgeous, don't worry.
  • breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everything Kaesha said! I got a cute bandeau topped bikini from VS online and a similar topped one-piece from Target for our trip. They had removable straps so pre-wedding it was strapless, post wedding I could use the straps. 

Why don't you see if you can find someone to do your hair professionally? I'm really glad I did so it was one less thing to worry about on the big day. 
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely ditto Alyson & Brea on all points.

1) The dress - without photos, it's hard to see what's wrong.  If the dress doesn't fit -- too tight or too loose -- the alternations place needs to fix that.  A big roll at the bottom of the darts sounds like the dress is too tight in the hips and therefore bunching up, or too loose in the chest and therefore sagging.  Just a guess, but I would absolutely ask for those to be fixed.  Steaming can fix the details, but it won't fix improper fit.

2) Definitely consider a new hairstyle or finding a hairdresser.  My hair also doesn't hold curl well, but does OK at high curling iron temps with the right product.  In Hawaii?  FLAT.  Fizzled out in 30 minutes.  So, as Alyson says, start thinking about Plan B.

3) Makeup - sounds like you have it covered.  Your other option is just to go to Sephora or Macys on the day of the wedding and have them do your makeup at the counter for you.

4) Tan lines - don't do mystic tan.  I'm not really a fan of fake tans for weddings (or ever) and if your only reaon is tan lines, they're easily avoidable.  I bought some bandeau top bikinis at Target with removable straps.  I removed the straps while exposed to the sun and attached them when walking around with a t-shirt over.  Would that work for you?
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    100% agree with Kaesha on the hair thing.  I have naturally curly hair and I let my hair just go curly in Hawaii and the curls fell out in no time.  The humidity there is at just the right point that it destroys curls - if you can't get a curl to hold where you are now, they won't in Hawaii either. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My hair doesn't curl well at all but my lady was awesome! She had little tricks she used that worked & after running around setting up & doing beach photos i just needed a quick touch up on some of the curls before the ceremony. If you're dead set on curls i'd hire a pro. Ive done mystic- it smells gross & the results can be streaky. If you already have tan lines maybe hit up the tanning bed with sunblock on your tanned sections & tanning lotion on the lighter areas? On the day of, you could try blending makeup to match it but that could be tough.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice!  I think I was having a super bad day when I posted and am feeling a lot better. 

Good to know I should not count on miracle curls even with the right product in Hawaii!  Will definitely start looking for a different look that will be great with straight hair asap (and be sure to tell my hair dresser to give me a really great cut when I see her in a couple of days)!

Also really appreciate the info on mystic tan.  Had a groupon come across for 71% off a session that I almost went for, but am glad I didn't after hearing how smelly and streaky it could be.  I am pretty white to begin with and really don't tan, nor did I really want to be "artifically" tan for my wedding, so I'm going to deal with it and try to find a bandeau bikini in November :)

Lastly, in regards to the dress, I'm headed to my mom's tomorrow afternoon to try it on after being pressed, but the alterations basically told me "that's the way it is" and were not willing to fix it (thanks a lot DB!).  If the roll is still really noticable I am going to try a sash, which the more I think about it, I may do even if it does look ok.

Basically at this point I'm trying not to take myself too seriously and trying to remember that nothing is perfect, and my wedding day is no exception!  I know I'll just be super excited to be marrying my FI on the day of, but in the mean time it's difficult not to be the worry wart I'm predisposed to be!

Thanks again everyone for the advice!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards