Just Engaged and Proposals

Anyone have trouble with their e-ring? I need advice!

My fiance and I picked out the perfect ring from Kay. I have been engaged for only 2 months now, and a stone has fallen out, and many have become loose. It is pave setting, however, my jeweler did not tell me before hand that resizing my ring could create stones to shift, and fall out eventually. They told me it would be 2 weeks to get the ring back from getting the stone put in, so I went to a local jeweler and they put the stone in that day. Needless to say, another stone has come loose, and my fiance went into Kay to tell them about the ring fiasco, and are now saying my ring is no longer under warranty, since I went to a different jeweler. If I had known this, I wouldnt have gone to a different jeweler, but my warranty does not state anywhere what will void the warranty. We are working with Kay to figure something out, and they are suggesting just getting me a new ring in the same style, but I think the same thing will keep happening. I love my ring, but I don't know what to do.. I don't want to keep having diamonds fall out.
Any advice would be great!

Re: Anyone have trouble with their e-ring? I need advice!

• Good luck.  I had a very bad experience with Kay jewlers with my diamond bracelet and would never buy from them again.  Hopefully they do a better job for you than they did for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hopefully they can work something out with you. My FI's parents had a really bad experience with them also.
  • edited September 2010
    My engagement ring came from Zales and I love it, but I had much the same problem as you did.  There are lots of little diamonds on the ring and some would become loose with wear and fall out.  This happened 2 or 3 times, and each time the ring was sent off to Zales's jeweler for repair and took about 2 weeks.

Did your fiance purchase the ring in the store, or did he have one custom made in your size? 

My original e-ring was just sized down from a 7 to a 4.  The prongs were stretched to their limit.  That's what made the diamonds fall out.  Zales offered to replace the ring with one custom made in my size.  I haven't had a problem in almost 8 months  (knock on wood). 

Are you sure you weren't given a paper that states exactly what constitutes a void of warranty?  We were and having another jeweler work on the ring is the number 1 no-no.  Your fiance probably should have kept his mouth shut about the ring fiasco.  Honestly, Kay's would have never known otherwise. 

I got onto Kay's website and they state their warranty under Customer Service.  It says "All repairs shall be completed by us or such other repair center of our choice".  So yes, they must do the repairs and from that I would assume that getting it repaired elsewhere meant a voided warranty. But, it technically doesn't mention specifically about a voided warranty.
    Do the creep.
  • I agree with PP, make them work it out with you.  They should have been up-front all along.  IMHO, I'm not much of a chain-jeweler fan because of stories like this.  You might think about getting your ring insured right away once it all gets sorted.  And you can also ask if they can order your ring in YOUR size.  That can help prevent stones from shifting/falling out.
  • Thanks for all of your advice. Yes, louieblue, mine is doing the same thing as yours because I had to have it sized too much, which they should have told us was going to happen, or could happen.
    So my option is to either get the same setting just made to my ring size, or get a different setting all together.. not sure what I should do, since the first setting has sentimental value, but I don't want the stones to fall out since it is pave setting.
    We will see.. I'll update soon!
    Thanks again :)
  • I have an update. They put my warranty back on, and are ordering my current setting in my size, so hopefully this new setting isn't going to be such a hassle!!
    Fingers Crossed!
  • Good luck! I heard a lot of horror stories from franchise places so we went to a more local place and they ended up having higher quality for similar prices. I hope it works out!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What does your ring look like?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I just answered a similar question on another post and now I can't find it. I was an asst manager at a  jewelry store and have seen first hand how difficult pave settings are. That was wrong of them not to let you know of possible issues with sizing. They should always be ordering pave rings in your specific size. I hope the new one works out for you. Ordering it in your size wont fix all the problems but it does help. Make sure you know the last date that they will allow to to return that one for another style. Not to sound negative but just in case.
  • Sounds very beautiful BTW :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards