April 2012 Weddings
Options

Hello from the April 2011 Brides!

Just wanted to stop by and wish you all good luck as your weddings are all quickly approaching!

There are still a bunch of us active on the April 2011 board.  14 of us actually had a GTG at the beginning of this month (and a bunch more wanted to be there but couldn't make the trip).  If you have any questions - feel free to stop by and post - we are happy to help.  We dealt with strange weather (including snow and a tornado that took out a venue a week before the big day), flaky vendors, family drama, trips to the hospital, and much more.  And guess what - we all ended up happily married.

So, we are here for you!  No question too big or small.  Or if you just want some suggestions of little things to do or not worry about - just ask.  April is a pretty fantastic wedding month!  Laughing
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Hello from the April 2011 Brides!

• Options
    that's so nice of you! just feeling a little overwhelmed right now, and i can only imagine how good it'll feel to be one year out after our wedding...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Awwwww April brides are truly the best ever!!!! Thanks for the post im sure we will all be checking in.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • Options
    Hi! Thanks for thinking of us!!! Like the PP, I'm feeling really overwhelmed too. There is just too much going on. I can't take it. I just hired a DOC to take some of the pressure off.

Any advice on how to relieve the overwhelming pressure & stress?
  • Options
    Hang in there, girls! It will be so worth it. Just take it one day at a time and one task at a time. I'm a list person, but do what works for you and : ask. for. help.

I was borderline control freak status with the amount of detail I put into our wedding. Then, the Wednesday beforehand our venue was blown away by a tornado along with most of our vendors.

Have your freak out moments in private and allow yourself to enjoy the process. You're so close!!!!

Visit our board any time. We won't bite.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012

I am a very Type A personality and borderline control freak.  I found it hard to let other people help, but I am glad I did.  My mom was awesome - even from 5 hours away.  I had to prioritize (by date and/or importance to me and FI) and let go when it became obvious that a few low priority items may not get done - and I was OK with that.  I am glad I took off 3 days before the wedding.  I was able to forget about work after day 1 off!

A couple little things I did that helped me relax were:

We went on a date the Tuesday night before the wedding before everyone started coming in to town.  Went to our favorite place and just enjoyed the evening - NO WEDDING TALK!

My first day off I booked a massage for the AM.  Really helped to get my mind (and body) in a better place.

Like Corkie said, stuff will come up.  Hopefully not like the natural disaster she had.  My hair stylist (and friend of mine) was going thru chemo.  She thought the week before that she would be fine and insisted on doing my hair.  The day of, she was able to do me and my 2 BMs but we had to send my nieces / ushers to another salon.  Everyone looked great in the end.  We got snowed on.  The pics turned out great.

Control what you can, but be prepared to let things go when they are not under your control. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_hello-from-the-april-2011-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:bcf9706a-5c0b-4c27-9a9c-19f1f1907964Post:6c160149-268a-4e03-a9f0-d50c4fb6f0d2">Re: Hello from the April 2011 Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hang in there, girls! It will be so worth it. Just take it one day at a time and one task at a time. I'm a list person, but do what works for you and : ask. for. help. I was borderline control freak status with the amount of detail I put into our wedding. Then, the Wednesday beforehand our venue was blown away by a tornado along with most of our vendors. Have your freak out moments in private and allow yourself to enjoy the process. You're so close!!!! Visit our board any time. We won't bite.
    Posted by corkietn[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness!  What a way to put everything in perspective. I will have to remember this when I freak out  (which, thankfully, isn't too much).

Thanks for the well wishes 2011 brides!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.

The sooner I come to realize that I can't control everything the more fun I will have!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi girls!  Gundy and Corkie are right about doing your best to go with the flow.  I made sure to schedule time for DH before the craziness kicked in, as well as my close family members.  My Mom, Sis, and I got massages the day before which was nice because it felt like I got away from the chaos of wedding planning. 

Depending on how you're getting ready on your big day, put someone in charge of making sure you and your wedding party have plenty of snacks and fluids.  I forgot this, but my Dad was a total God-send that day and made sure we had enough food to feed 50 people.  Drink TONS of water!  Your body will thank you for it at the end of the night. Laughing

funny_zpsd60c785f

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

"...And he just came out of my imaginary birthday cake." -its apelila

• Options
    so nice to hear from past April brides!!  I'm not feeling any more overwhelmed than usual, but I'm sure something will come up soon.  Massages pre-wedding sound amazing.

corkie- omg I can't imagine.   What did you end up doing??

• Options
    Well, we didn't find out about our venue until the day after the tornado (as we were worried about our families' safety), so that put us without a venue, cake, DJ, reception venue, caterer, and DOC the day before our rehearsal and only 2 days before our wedding. 

We found a winery that would book us last minute- with a discount at that since they felt bad for us. Booked a DJ through text messaging. Got a cake at Bi-Lo. DH's aunt was our DOC. Sure, it wasn't ideal but we had a blast on the day of and now we're "that couple" every time we go pick up a bottle of wine at our winery venue. So that's fun :)

I was a total mess, but the point is that it worked out and we have a very unique wedding story that's for sure.

I still maintain that the worst part about wedding planning was the invite list. And RSVPs are hellacious as well. So if you guys are going through that right about now, just know that it gets better!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well, we didn't find out about our venue until the day after the tornado (as we were worried about our families' safety), so that put us without a venue, cake, DJ, reception venue, caterer, and DOC the day before our rehearsal and only 2 days before our wedding. 

We found a winery that would book us last minute- with a discount at that since they felt bad for us. Booked a DJ through text messaging. Got a cake at Bi-Lo. DH's aunt was our DOC. Sure, it wasn't ideal but we had a blast on the day of and now we're "that couple" every time we go pick up a bottle of wine at our winery venue. So that's fun :)

I was a total mess, but the point is that it worked out and we have a very unique wedding story that's for sure.

I still maintain that the worst part about wedding planning was the invite list. And RSVPs are hellacious as well. So if you guys are going through that right about now, just know that it gets better!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hey girls!

I'll second (or third) what my other 2011 brides said...  take it one day at a time and don't sweat the samll or big stuff.  

I too had to deal with weather issues...  Tornados and flooding hit areas where important guests (brother of groom, parents of groom, best man) were flying in from.

Two days prior to my wedding the inn keeper told me my coordinator would be taking the day of my wedding off...  luckily she had no clue what she was talking about! 

My MOH had 1/2 her liver removed 1 week before my wedding and couldn't be there.  

My day of schedule got completely thrown out the window and half my guests saw me before the wedding started.  

But still, my wedding was the best day, and more than I could have ever imagined.  I knew what was important to me - I was marrying my best friend!  And just rolled with the punches and didn't freak out too much (I think the best calming event for me was driving by a billboard on my way to have my nails done that said the world ends on May 12, 2011.  I laughed and said, well what am I stressing for, there will only be 12 days after my wedding.  No big deal!)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_hello-from-the-april-2011-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:bcf9706a-5c0b-4c27-9a9c-19f1f1907964Post:4ee40bf0-24d6-4b7b-9506-5111357eb29b">Re: Hello from the April 2011 Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, we didn't find out about our venue until the day after the tornado (as we were worried about our families' safety), so that put us without a venue, cake, DJ, reception venue, caterer, and DOC the day before our rehearsal and only 2 days before our wedding.  We found a winery that would book us last minute- with a discount at that since they felt bad for us. Booked a DJ through text messaging. Got a cake at Bi-Lo. DH's aunt was our DOC. Sure, it wasn't ideal but we had a blast on the day of and now we're "that couple" every time we go pick up a bottle of wine at our winery venue. So that's fun :) I was a total mess, but the point is that it worked out and we have a very unique wedding story that's for sure. I still maintain that the worst part about wedding planning was the invite list. And RSVPs are hellacious as well. So if you guys are going through that right about now, just know that it gets better!!
    Posted by corkietn[/QUOTE]

Being from OKlahoma (Tornado Alley) Your story is my biggest fear! And TBH, it would not surpise me ONE bit if something like that happened at our wedding...We have had so many issues with dates moving because of the military.. ..the weather has to make an appearance too..Haha.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'll just pop in and agree with what the other girls have already said. The sooner you realize you can't control everything and to focus on what is truly important to you the better.
    Make lists and prioritize what needs to be done and what you would like to be done. I remember stressing over getting a few things done at the last minute that we didn't even end up using anyways.
    Just remember to enjoy your day for what its really all about and ask us any questions you may have.
  • Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for the support.

I'm trying to take one day at a time, but the fiance has to keep going out of town on business trips and it's soo hard to keep an even head without him.

We had our shower this past weekend where lots of people came together who didn't know eachother and we had a blast! I was worried about how our families would mix since we're from the south and his family is from NJ.

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming! (to quote "Nemo")
    April 2012 Feb. Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon: Excellence, Dominican Republic Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards