Registry and Gift Forum

Returning Gifts

We had our shower last weekend and got some duplicate gifts - 3 popcorn machines & 2 cast iron dutch ovens.

When returning the Dutch Ovens, we only had 1 gift receipt. Turns out we got $33 back on that and $60 back on the one we didn't have a receipt for. Kinda wishing we would've lost that gift receipt!!!!

Re: Returning Gifts

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_returning-gifts-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ba41da82-fa8c-4c74-8c34-789fcac456dfPost:7526575e-7947-4386-8977-702a1a12a23a">Returning Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had our shower last weekend and got some duplicate gifts - 3 popcorn machines & 2 cast iron dutch ovens. When returning the Dutch Ovens, we only had 1 gift receipt. Turns out we got $33 back on that and $60 back on the one we didn't have a receipt for. Kinda wishing we would've lost that gift receipt!!!!
    Posted by FlipFlop17[/QUOTE]

<div>Why would you not get the full amount back? Was one purchased on sale or something?</div>
  • If you have a gift receipt you get what the person actually paid.  I'm not sure how they determine what you get if you don't have the receipt, they may use the price that is in the system for that particular item the day you take it back.  I know once I was returning a piece of clothing to a store, and it was on sale when I went to take it back, so I had to find my receipt to get the full purchase price back.  Registries may use a different system though.
  • Thats what I was thinking, too. Someone must have really gotten a deal on the Dutch oven for there to be such a difference.
  • Leisel, if the person was a regular shopper at the store, they probably had a discount coupon that they used in combination with a sale - so say the $60 oven was 20% off one day, and then the person came to the store with a 30% off "valued customer" discount coupon, many stores will let you "stack" the coupon on top of the existing sale, for a total of 50% off (my mom does this at Kohl's all the time).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • That's right - if you return the gift without the receipt, they give you a store credit for the price of the item that day.
    But at BB&B, the popcorn machines were on sale (both were $12 off). They gave us store credit for the full price and applied the $12 off coupons to the new items we purchased:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards