Not Engaged Yet
Options

How far is too far

between the ceremony and the reception sites?

I offered to make the map for my best friend's inserts.  Since she sent me all of the information, I am thinking "holy smokes, that is a long distance between venues."  (And that this map is not going to be very good because I have to cover so much ground!)

I felt like the distance at our wedding was pushing it.  It took about 20 minutes on almost 10 miles on country roads. 

Re: How far is too far

• Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't want to make people drive more than 30 minutes.  Unless I knew that the majority of the guests were spending the night at or near the reception site anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've driven an hour, and that was way, way too far.  Ideally, I'd say no more than 30 minutes.
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm feeling the no more than 30 minutes guideline.

Are there lots of turns in the route between venues? If even part of it is a long stretch of road, you could have one side be an overview map, and the flip zoom in on the last few turns before the reception?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_far-far?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d5e5d3b0-7901-4d38-b45a-248f55cbe9fcPost:5b9d67cc-a68f-468c-843c-8bedaaf40e2b">Re: How far is too far</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm feeling the no more than 30 minutes guideline. Are there lots of turns in the route between venues? If even part of it is a long stretch of road, you could have one side be an overview map, and the flip zoom in on the last few turns before the reception?
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a really helpful idea to me if its possible.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For my sister's wedding it was only about 10 miles but in traffic it took like 30 minutes.  She had a bus though.

I think too far depends sort of on the area.  Is it someplace where everything is dirt roads?  Not many wedding venues around?  Is transportation provided? Etc.  But I wouldn't want anything more than 20 miles if I were a guest.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Things are way different in the city, it can take forever to go 10 miles.  I would say try to keep it to less than 25 minutes unless transportation is being provided.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, as I suspected.  It is 37 miles and about 40 minutes without traffic.  If she hadn't booked everything already, I would be opening my big mouth. 

I am playing around with the map.  It is going to have to be landscape instead of portrait. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_far-far?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d5e5d3b0-7901-4d38-b45a-248f55cbe9fcPost:e71f4f5a-3312-4924-a295-57fc93cdde30">Re: How far is too far</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, as I suspected.  It is 37 miles and about 40 minutes without traffic.  If she hadn't booked everything already, I would be opening my big mouth.  I am playing around with the map.  It is going to have to be landscape instead of portrait. 
    Posted by **Mutley**[/QUOTE]
    Is there any way for her to book a couple of buses to take the guests to the reception?  Or can she find a church that is closer?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The church is her FI's family church.  I know they had a really hard time finding a venue because his mom kept adding to the guest list.  They did not want a hotel. 

I am going to do the map and just be quiet.  I might feel her out about the transportation.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most I've been to were either really close (ours is about 15 minutes, and most were shorter than that or the same).  The one we went to that was far was about an hour, and it was only that way because most of the people our age rented beach houses instead of getting hotel rooms, so we were further from the venue (had ceremony and reception at same place, thankfully).  It was a long way, but part of the deal with the houses that the best man set up for all of us was a bus to take everyone to and from the venue, so it worked out nicely.  I would suggest mentioning transportation to her and seeing if it's in her budget.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    melizabethpmelizabethp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree 37 miles/40 minutes is awfully far. I went to a wedding in September where the ceremony site and the reception site were 40 miles apart. Ceremony was at a ranch out in the middle of nowhere, reception was at a hotel in town. (If Best part: The ceremony was exactly three minutes long (a friend timed it).

Most weddings I've been to have involved a distance of 10-15 minutes or less between the ceremony and reception sites.

Particularly if it's a very involved route, I like desertsun's idea quoted above.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards