New York-New York City

Need help finding private event space

We are having a small wedding in the city and want to throw an "after party" to invite friends and family members that are not invited to the wedding and reception.  Looking for a space that can hold 60-75 people, nicer than just your average bar, but not too pricey.  Can anyone offer suggestions?  The location doesn't really matter...  Thanks!

Re: Need help finding private event space

• edited December 2011
    Why?  It sounds kind of rude.  Would you like to be invited to the after party only?
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, I can post what I want since this is a public board.

I was hoping that you would put yourself in your guests shoes.  Having a private ceremony and then a larger reception is usually considered okay.  Having an after party for those who were not invited to the main event seems like you are throwing the fact that they were not invited in their faces.  Pardon me if I believe guests should be with consideration and respect.   
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_need-finding-private-event-space?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:409f983f-bafd-4fc8-ad29-5b7d61144b28Post:25b6767d-7274-45bf-b6d7-24b3c13dcbad">Need help finding private event space</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having a small wedding in the city and want to throw an "after party" to invite friends and family members that are not invited to the wedding and reception.  Looking for a space that can hold 60-75 people, nicer than just your average bar, but not too pricey.  Can anyone offer suggestions?  The location doesn't really matter...  Thanks!
    Posted by Roxybinnion[/QUOTE]
    I see you DDed your whiny, response about why did wasn't helpful.  Hopefully others will read this and learn that after parties are a continuation of the wedding, not a separate event.  
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, paying anywhere from $150+ per person is quite a lot, whereas still wanting to party with folks isn't so bad.  There are plenty of instances where the ceremony was simply for just the immediate family or couple, and then there was a party for everyone else.

I'd understand and would be okay going to an after party to still see the bride and groom.  Unfortunately, I don't throw enough parties that include 60-70 folks to recommend a place.  I'd check out other boards and see what brides with these bridal numbers are using for places.  You could also just rent out a big party room from a restaurant, which wouldn't cost too much.  GL.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_need-finding-private-event-space?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:409f983f-bafd-4fc8-ad29-5b7d61144b28Post:601289f6-37f1-4115-b274-ffab22cea2a5">Re: Need help finding private event space</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, paying anywhere from $150+ per person is quite a lot, whereas still wanting to party with folks isn't so bad.  There are plenty of instances where the ceremony was simply for just the immediate family or couple, and then there was a party for everyone else. I'd understand and would be okay going to an after party to still see the bride and groom.  Unfortunately, I don't throw enough parties that include 60-70 folks to recommend a place.  I'd check out other boards and see what brides with these bridal numbers are using for places.  You could also just rent out a big party room from a restaurant, which wouldn't cost too much.  GL.
    Posted by slbriz34[/QUOTE]
    I don't think you read my second post.  I already said that there is nothing wrong with having a small private ceremony and a larger reception.  The OP was having a ceremony and reception for one group of people and then an after party for another group of  people (I'm assuming this includes the original wedding guests too).  An after party is a continuation of the reception, not a separate party for a different group of people.  If she went along with her plan, the new guests would be hearing about the wedding (both events) and feel left out.  <div>
    </div><div>You plan a wedding that you can afford.  You include people who you can afford to host.  There's no law saying everyone you know has to be included in your wedding celebration.  </div>
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your helpful response slbriz34...and for understanding! 
  • edited December 2011
    If it is a summer event, Pure Food & Wine near union square has a lovely space and garden
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards