Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Vendor Review 3/27/2010

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks past my fabulous wedding, and just had to share with the class. I know it can be hard to find reliable + good vendors, places, etc. when you're on site, let alone OOT (we're from NYC).  We didn't spend gobs of cash on this wedding either, which made it all the more enjoyable.  FYI: 45 guests.

Venue: Napoleon House.  Beautiful setting, right in the heart of the French quarter. Really old world New Orleans feel to the ceremony, plus they have balconies!  Great for a non-denom ceremony + cocktail/hors d'oeuvre reception (their food is excellent, and the Pimm's Cups were a big hit).  Work with Vivian - she's only there two days a week, but she's great.

Officiant: Captain Al Christian.  He's a riverboat captain on the Natchez moonlighting as a wedding officiant.  Nicest guy in the world - totally amenable to our ceremony preferences, etc.  Plus, people love the captain's uniform.

Musicians: Joe Simon Jazz.  Three piece acoustic jazz ensemble set just the right mood.  Apart from getting married, my favorite part of the wedding.

Reception: NOLA.  Best. Food. Ever.  And the waiters are totally professional yet make me laugh.  And, it's right around the corner from Nap Hse.

Hair: Gina Trosclair at Two Sisters.  I didn't feel the need to use a place that forces you to do a run-thru to the tune of $120, then pay another $120 on top of it for a glorified ponytail.  Gina comes to your hotel, does great work, and is totally affordable.  She did an updo w/flowers in such a way I didn't realize my hair could look so good.  Seriously.  And we had a ball hanging out while she was doing my hair & my bridesmaids.  Call her now!

Flowers: Erin Steen.  Again, a pleasure to work with.  She put up with me going back and forth a million times about the flowers, with great patience.  She heard what I wanted, and got me a bouquet/hair flowers that not only looked gorgeous, but held up so well I had them in a vase a week after the wedding.

Rehearsal dinner: Rock-n-Bowl.  There's a reason our guests are saying that we had the wedding of the century, and RNB played no small part in that.  Why sit around yet another dinner table when you can bowl, drink beers, and dance to live bands?  Caveat: it's not right in the FQ, but...

Buses: American Luxury.  It's a treat for your guest if they don't have to hail cabs to and from the RNB.  AL is so reasonable, and we got the nicest, funniest, greatest pop-up tour on the way back (down St. Charles) it totally capped off the night.

Photographer: Simone Epiphany.  She's young and new to the city, but man she works it!  Don't have the pictures back quite yet, but I'm looking forward to them.

Welcome bags: No vendor here, just suggestions: you pack those bags up with Zapp's, Hubig's and water, and your wedding guests will love you forever.  Go to Hubigs direct for the pies.  Zapp's you can get at Rouses.

MOH/BM lunch?  Go to Commander's on Friday.  Sit in the Garden Room.  Three words: 25 cent martinis.

Send me a note (blessmanja@gmail.com) and I'll send you any contact info you need.

Re: Vendor Review 3/27/2010

• Options
    misslizz2misslizz2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds wonderful! I'd love to see some pics, especially hair and flowers.
  • Options
    stephrubiastephrubia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd love to see pictures too!  we're also from NY and having a destination wedding in nola.  i booked gina to do my hair for my wedding too.  she's been so easy to work with and sweet as they come!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap! 25 cent martini's??  Where do I sign up?? 

Thanks for the reviews!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Flower Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio 6.15.10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What salon is Two Sisters? I'm definitely interested in affordable hair -- could you provide me with thier contact info?? THANKS and CONGRATS on what sounds like a very successful wedding day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Commander's, here I come whenever I am in New Orleans next.   Thanks for the beautiful write-up and Congratulations. 
  • Options
    lisleelislee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm  using Gina from Two Sisters too!  She works out of a salon but goes on sight for the day of.  Her website is www.twosistershairandmakeup.com. She's affordable and as sweet as can be!  So glad you used her and all went well.  Thanks for the reviews! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards