Michigan-Lansing

Flower Advice

I hope someone will be able to help me and give me some direction.  I've heard that with a florist you tell them how much you want to spend and what you need and they design your arrangements around that, but I don't even know where to start with a floral budget.  We're having an average sized wedding, four bridesmaids/groomsmen, 2 ushers, and will need somewhere around 15 centerpeices, if that helps. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much! 

Re: Flower Advice

• gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    A good place to start is the Budget Tool here on the knot.  You can enter your total budget, the number of guests and attendants.  It will then calcuate how much you should spend in each area.  Once you have that, you can tweak it depending on what you know you've spent so far or what areas are more important to you (i.e., flowers vs photography, etc). 

Martha Stewart weddings also has a good budgeting tool you can check out.

It will also help when you talk to florists if you show them pictures of centerpieces you like.
  • edited December 2011
    You really need to just look at how much money you have to spend and break it down into how much you're willing to put into each area.  Then, you have to find someone who is willing to work with your budget.  From what I found, (I saw about 5 florists and need almost exactly the same things) they tended to fall between $1500-2000.  I wasn't asking for expensive flowers either.  There are people out there who will do it for cheaper, PM me for info on my florist.  She's doing it all for $800 or less.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

My issue is that I live out of state, and I know what I would expect to pay here, but that would be higher than what would be necessary in Lansing--thankfully!  I will use the knot budgeter and see what that says.

Thanks!

• gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    When my DD and I started planning we met with a florist and discussed what types of flowers and style DD wanted.  The florist gave us an estimate to provide the flowers so we knew we were in the ballpark of what we had budgeted(fortunately it was close to what we had budgeted).  When we met with her we explained that we were looking for pricing to see if we had budgeted enough to give my DD what she wanted or if we were going to need to rethink the plans.  Fortunately the florist was happy to help us out (unfortunately, we can't use her since she was going to be closing her East Lansing business and moving to Philadelphia).
  • edited December 2011
    I hadn't thought ot researching the sort of flowers I'd like and then seeing what she can do...thank you for the tip! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards