Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Cashing checks

Any idea how it works with both our names on the checks, with my now married name, eventhough nothing has been legally changed yet? We want to do it at my bank so they get deposited into my account so H ex-wife can't try to get her hands on our money...I would assume H has to be there with me, and as long as we both have our ID's, it should be good?

Re: Cashing checks

• Sarahsue1684Sarahsue1684 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just went to the bank and did this yesterday. All we did was cross out the last name that they put and put the right one then initialed by it and they didnt say anything to us. HTH :)
  • schmoodschmood member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we opened a joint acct after the wedding at the bank where I already had an acct.  At the time, I did not have anything changed yet.  Once I got my new social & drivers license - I had to go into the bank and change the name on my acct.  I think I might have needed the marriage certificate as well, but can't remember for sure.

For the ones that were made out to J or G, he was able to just sign them solo
    For the ones that were made out to J and G, he signed and I had to sign twice, once with maiden name and once with married last name. 
    For ones that were made out to just him, he just signed
    For ones that were made out to me, with married last name, I had to sign twice - again with married & maiden.
    For the ones that were made out to me with maiden name, I signed & deposited into my exisitng acct and just moved it over to the joint acct. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Ok, talked to my FFIL who is the president/CEO of a bank... DO NOT cross out anything unless it is YOUR check. The giver's bank and refuse to cash it therefore sending it back to your bank with a note...
    Just go in with your driver's license, husband, and if you have a copy of your marriage license take that with you. You will need to sign/endorse it as your married name. HTH
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a bank teller at Wells Fargo.  Ditto PP  DO NOT ALTER THE CHECK!  I would not be able to do anything with it. 

The correct way to endorse a check written  out to your new name is to endorse with your maiden name, then your married name.  It helps if you bring your marriage cert in with it but just explain you JUST got married and you should be ok

Checks written out to Wife AND Husband need to either be cashed with both parties present or deposited into a joint acct.  They can not go into a sole owned acct.

Checks written out to Wife OR Husband can be put in to either joint or sole accts and can be cashed by either person.

In order to change your name on your accts permently you must have your certificate of marriage.  

Each branch/bank may have different policies too and a teller may just not notice that the names are different or that its not a joint acct or whatever but without proper endorsements or correct accts your checks can be returned for up to 7 years!  
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • nordkenordke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback...we really want to avoid having to have any joint account because anything tied with H's name, his ex-wife will probably try to lay claim to it too. So, looks like we'll just stop in and see what our bank says. Thanks for all the heads up on what to expect :)
  • edited December 2011
    I just browsed this thread, but my two cents:

anything that was signed to both of us (or mr & mrs marriedname), I had to sign in both stephanie maidenname and stephanie marriedname, then H had to sign with his name. We were told we could deposit them anywhere, but we chose to bank then all in our joint account.

Anything that was signed to one of us or mr OR mrs, that person signed alone.
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I really wanted to get our checks into our account the day before leaving for our HM... but we were 5 minutes late getting to the bank that night... so we decided to take a chance and deposit them all at an ATM. We figured the worst that could happen is they'd get returned and we'd have to try all over again. We were depositing them all into our joint account that still had my maiden name. Depending on how the checks were made out, we both signed them... and if people used my maiden name, I just did that... but if they used my married name... I signed "First Maiden Married" because techinically, that's my new legal name anyway (my maiden is now my middle name).

A few of them seemed to take an extra day or so to clear, but all of them went through.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_cashing-checks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:39e2c2be-4779-4300-8238-c8dfffc84b94Post:15eff960-569d-4e7d-a4af-81bfe5a3bc56">Re: Cashing checks</a>:
    [QUOTE]we opened a joint acct after the wedding at the bank where I already had an acct.  At the time, I did not have anything changed yet.  Once I got my new social & drivers license - I had to go into the bank and change the name on my acct.  I think I might have needed the marriage certificate as well, but can't remember for sure. For the ones that were made out to J or G, he was able to just sign them solo For the ones that were made out to J and G, he signed and I had to sign twice, once with maiden name and once with married last name.  For ones that were made out to just him, he just signed For ones that were made out to me, with married last name, I had to sign twice - again with married & maiden. For the ones that were made out to me with maiden name, I signed & deposited into my exisitng acct and just moved it over to the joint acct. 
    Posted by schmood[/QUOTE]

I worked at a bank for 4 years and this sounds perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards