Getting in Shape
Options

Strength Training

Hi ladies! I have lurked on here for a long time. I've read a lot of great suggestions! I am working with a personal trainer and have been for about a month. I have definitely seen results- both weightloss and inches wise. He told me yesterday that he and I were really going to hit the strength training and focus on that. I'm doing cardio for about 45 minutes on the days I don't work with the trainer.

I'm just curious about something. He told me I needed to build the muscle to burn the fat faster. I totally trust him, but I forgot to ask him about how that works. I just don't want to get really bulky, and he promised that wouldn't happen.

Anyone know why/how building muscle burns fat faster? Hopefully I didn't misunderstand what he was telling me.

Thanks!

Re: Strength Training

• Options
    Muscle requires more fuel than other types of tissue (like fat) so if you have more muscle you are using more fuel at any given time and therefore you raise your metabolic rate and lose fat.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    You won't get  bulky, women don't have the hormones to do it.  I have been strength training for about a year and I am buff (and love it) but I am by no means bulky.  Strength training is also one of the best ways to prevent osteoperosis as you age, so you should keep it up after your wedding. 
  • Options
    You'd have to eat an insanely strict diet to get bodybuilder buff, so do not worry.  As PP said, muscles require more fuel, so you'll burn more calories, even when at rest.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My trainer told me the same thing, that if you build more muscle you burn calories faster.  I've had trouble with this in the past but trying to eat more lean protein and put more focus on strength training.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options

Your trainer is right.  I lift over 200 lbs on the deadlift and squat, but I don't think anyone would call me "bulky".  I only do cardio twice a week - once for 20 minutes of HIIT and one long run.  Lifting weights completely changed my shape, in a good way.

BFP #3 July 2012 = EDD 4/1/2013
    BFP #2 May 2012 = loss at 4w3d
    BFP #1 January 2003 = 9 year old son

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the answers. That makes a lot of sense about muscle using more fuel. Thanks!
  • Options
    look up the 5x5 workout 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards