Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Honeymoon Registry/Travel Agent questions

First question:

Has anyone used a HM Registry or planning on one? I've heard some say it's tacky, It's not something I've ever seen done in person, so I don't know what thoughts are about it.

Also, did anyone use a travel agent to book their honeymoon? Was it worth it?

Re: Honeymoon Registry/Travel Agent questions

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    We did a HM registry.  Ours was very successful (around $3K).  I had already set it up before I came on TK and saw how harshly viewed they were.

We were older (me 40, him 35) when we got married and both owned our own homes.  We didn't need anything, and in fact had to pare stuff down when we moved in together.

However, we booked and paid for our entire HM in advance and ONLY asked for extras:  excursions, dinners, etc., NOT our room or our flight.  These really only work if you do this (unless you take a belated HM) because you aren't going to get the majority of the money until the wedding anyway.

Also, I still did a small traditional registry which I recommend if someone gives you a shower.  No one wants to sit around and watch you open up cards and money and there will always be people that prefer to bring a traditional gift.  Everything on my registry was purchased.

Now that I know how people feel about it, I have mixed feelings.  I think for us, since we were much older and paid for everything up front anyway, I sort of feel we "got away" with it, so to speak.  If you are 25 and don't have a pot or pan, I feel it would be frowned upon.  It's much different when you're 40 and have everything you need.  And people may have totally talked about it behind my back, who knows?  But everyone seemed to genuinely like it.

I think it really depends on your situation and how you handle it.  I did a website with pictures showing everything that we did and in my TY cards, mentioned every gift and if we couldn't use what we were given (like surf lessons), how we used the money we were given instead. 

We booked our HM on Travelocity.
  • Options
    H knew a bunch of people in his circle of friends who did it, and he really wanted to do it. We spoke with both of our parent's about it, because I didn't really want to do it but I didn't just want to shut him down, since he really wanted it. Both of our parents thought it was a great idea.
    In the end, we did what Stephie did, only put on the registry excursions and restaurants.

I would say we didn't get a TON of money, but enough to do what we wanted (and we ended up being gracious, as we weren't obligated to do everything and had some down time). In our thank you cards (which we haven't sent yet) we are going to include a picture of us doing the excursions.

I know they are very negatively frowned upon, so I don't mention much that I did ours. However, I'm also not the type of person to just say 'NO, H, THIS is how the girls on TK say to do it!' It was important to him, and it wasn't worth fighting about to me.
  • Options
    One of my firend's is doing a HM registry (Honeyfund.com) similar to stephie's and carrie's. i like the idea of people paying for your HM extras but I wouldn't want to pay for someone else's HM trip. 

I'm going to end up giving them cash instead of going through the website cause i want to make sure they get all the money (i don't think all sites take a percentage i am just super cautious lol).

If you guys already have everything you could possibly need at home, then go for the HM registry that pays for the extras!

I didn't use a travle agent. Just did a lot of research and had some help from a friend that is always planning trips.
  • Options
    We didn't have a honeymoon registry but I did use a travel agent to book my honeymoon.  I guess it depends on where you are going?  We are travelling to Phuket, Thailand, and Hong Kong and since we were pretty unfamiliar we used a travel agent.  She has been wonderful thus far and besides the booking she helped us narrow down our final desitnations.  If  you want her infor pm me.  We are not going until Christmas vacation so I'll let you know if using her was worth it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts on the Registry. I know it's super frowned upon over on the ettiqute boards (which is why I saved my time and didn't go there), but TK itself suggested it on a list of ways to afford a honeymoon.

There are probably lots of things we COULD register for (Mama needs a blender for all those delicious looking drinks on pinterest), but we live in a little 1-br apartment, and aren't planning on getting a bigger place for several years. We're 22 and aren't planning on having kids anytime soon, we don't NEED a house.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_honeymoon-registrytravel-agent-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e7ea10bf-af4b-4949-8088-f0b2204ad2b9Post:85b974e3-885e-4ee1-b48d-ccc481407d0b">Honeymoon Registry/Travel Agent questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]First question: Has anyone used a HM Registry or planning on one? I've heard some say it's tacky, It's not something I've ever seen done in person, so I don't know what thoughts are about it. Also, did anyone use a travel agent to book their honeymoon? Was it worth it?
    Posted by arco13[/QUOTE]

<div>We were so happy with our honeymoon registry and our guests loved using it. We researched this and ended up using honeymoonpixie.com  They were great to work with and great service. Gift money was wired directly into my checkingaccount which I liked. We also paid for our airfare and lodging and used the registry for all the fun stuff.  It was so worth it.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards