South Asian Weddings
Options

NWR: Fall vacation

Yes, yes, I know...I'm posting like crazy today...

Since we are in a super long distance relationship, we try to see eachother every few months. Unfortunately, I cannot go back to England because of the following:

I usually stay at my Mom's brothers house and that is where I stayed last time I was there (for three months! Jeez, they were very giving). However, they have had a lot of drama in the last year...my 11 year old cousin had grammar school exams to study for (it is a serious thing...she studied for a whole year just for these tests!), my Aunt's brother was getting married and she had to have a big hand in planning/paying for it, and worst of all, my Grandmother (my Mom and my uncle are brothers) fell VERY ill and is still not better. Basically, she had a heart attack that went undiagnosed and now only 20% of her heart is functional. Needless to say, my family has been through hell this year and they could really use a break. So, although I'd love to go to England and not have to pay for a vacation, it seems I cannot ask to do that because they seriously could use a break. Also, in conversation, my aunt mentioned she can't take one more guest visiting...very understandable.

So, this leaves us at a dilemna.

I would like to see him in England (in the countryside, say, the Lake District), but it'd feel wrong going there and not seeing my Grandma who is not well. Who knows when I will ever get a chance to see her again?

Our alternatives for this fall were Portugal or Spain which are both pretty close to England via plane and tropical and reasonably priced.

What do you guys think? I have been to Spain twice but at a family home there, not in a city anywhere. Have any of you been to these places?

Or, do you have any other ideas in Europe? We were thinking warm as opposed to cold, as fall in England can be rainy and brutal. Also we were thinking we wanted to keep it reasonably priced (as opposed to a more pricey Greece vacation) because we realize since we're so far apart, we always have to make sure we have money for the next time.

It really sucks that we can't just be in one place without having to worry about tickets or flights or passports, but I am happy just to see him and appreciate that it won't be at home in London where we can go to our favorite restaurants and take it easy in the city.

Sorry for the long rant. Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Re: NWR: Fall vacation

• Options
    edited December 2011

Sonali

Touring couple European cities sounds like a great vacation to me!! You guys should def. plan for that and maybe on your way back from Europe you can give grandma a quick visit. My grandpa passed away earlier this yr and I visited him a month before that and I feel so much better knowing I got to have closure with him before the moment came.

• Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The problem is, my family is more conservative there and WILL NOT be happy that:

A) I am in England and they don't know about it
    B) I show up without asking them...she is in such a fragile state, that may actually go wrong.
    C) Am going on vacation with my boyfriend.

• Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and the rest of my family there (my Dad's side, with whom I DO not get along and always am very upset when I have to see them), will throw a fit as well for those three reasons.
  • Options
    Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ya I don't think you can stay at their house for a long period of time b/c of all the stress...
    how about this.

Go to paris with you man...then on the way back...take the train or ferry to engand and stay a weekend with your family and see your grandma?

Would that work?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should def. consider a vacation.  Its true more money and time is actually spent traveling back and forth than with your Significant other.  I still think back to when both of us were in college and not really working as to how the hell were we able to see each other and have no money.  But somehow we made it work and we flew back and forth as much as we could.  I remember in his sophomore year, he flew from California every month to spend a weekend with me in Chicago, or vice versa. 

There are so many places that you can go and depending on when you go, they can be pretty warm usually southern countries, Spain, Portugal, South of Italy.  There is also Egypt, Morocco, etc.  New zealand might have a nice weather, but too much travel time is involved, so I would avoid that.

Regarding you grandmother, I would say that tell you family in England ahead of time, that you are comign for a weekend or a week to see you grandmother.  I know your aunt said about not wanting guest, but I mean you are not staying that long, so I think you will be okay.  Don't tell them that you are going on a vacation with your BF or you are just getting back from it.  They don't need to know that much. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards