January 2012 Weddings

Did you serve the top tier of the cake?

Or did you save it to eat for your anniversary? I don't know if I can hold on to a delicious piece of cake for so long lol. I wonder if it's a tradition that's still being done.

Re: Did you serve the top tier of the cake?

• we served it.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We saved ours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • well both... we served it, but the baker made a separate cake that we saved.
  • The venue saved the top tier for us but we decided to go ahead and eat it. On our anniversary, we're just going to order a small cake from the same bakery.
  • We served ours.  Frozen cake is like sin to me. hehe
  • I guess our parents saved ours? But quite honestly, We probably won't eat it. I think we're going to order a small cake on our first anniversary.
    09.27.2007 (the start of a great adventure.) 12.24.2010 (the day he popped the question!) 07.22.11 (the day we added a fur baby: PAWS!) 01.21.2012 (the day we said "I Do.") 07.2012 (the day we decided to start our family!) 11.03.12 (the day we added another furbaby: WEASLEY) "So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day." ~The Notebook
  • We saved ours. It is at his parent's house. We tried to take it to our house, but they told us it might thaw out in the car. We left it there and will get it sometime in the future.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Ours is in the bottom of my chest freezer out in the garage.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_did-you-serve-the-top-tier-of-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:721f9294-8a3f-45ac-8db1-53c4cb24c0a2Post:1c61a90c-889f-4c77-91d7-0cc0d8971df2">Re: Did you serve the top tier of the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours is in the bottom of my chest freezer out in the garage.
    Posted by jtmh2012[/QUOTE]
    That's where ours is too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    I'm planning on ordering the same cake from the bakery where we bought it.  We didn't have tiers, but yeah...I heard frozen cake is not that good, lol.

We did save one of our favors (they were chocolate boxes with M&Ms inside).  I was planning on eating it on the 1 yr anniversary too, if it's not too "off."
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_did-you-serve-the-top-tier-of-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:721f9294-8a3f-45ac-8db1-53c4cb24c0a2Post:1f2b983b-d658-49fe-80f4-31e4cf6739eb">Re: Did you serve the top tier of the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did you serve the top tier of the cake? : That's where ours is too!
    Posted by TaraW1979[/QUOTE]

Yours is in the bottom of my chest freezer?  Hrm.  I seem to only remember seeing one box in there. :P
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_did-you-serve-the-top-tier-of-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:721f9294-8a3f-45ac-8db1-53c4cb24c0a2Post:34080e4c-e697-4a65-b4b2-a3d9f9b8454f">Re: Did you serve the top tier of the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on ordering the same cake from the bakery where we bought it.  We didn't have tiers, but yeah...I heard frozen cake is not that good, lol.
    Posted by hlevine[/QUOTE]

From everything I've heard, my belief is this:
    <ul><li> It depends on the flavor and type of cake/icing that you have.  Some keep better than others.</li><li>How the cake was prepared for freezing makes a HUGE difference.  If not properly wrapped and frozen, it won't be good.</li><li>You must do this in a chest freezer that doesn't have a defrost cycle.  The defrost cycle actually allows the temperature to rise enough to keep the ice from building up.  This will essentially put your cake through multiple freeze/defrost cycles.</li></ul>
    I've also been told by people who do this that the cake tends to fare better than the icing.
  • We saved ours but because of the huge size of it we opted to cut a large piece off and save that for our 1 year anniversary. We served the rest of it when we had the family over when we opened our wedding gifts.

Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_did-you-serve-the-top-tier-of-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:721f9294-8a3f-45ac-8db1-53c4cb24c0a2Post:03822029-2377-4692-841d-38b40e64bca7">Re: Did you serve the top tier of the cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did you serve the top tier of the cake? : From everything I've heard, my belief is this:  It depends on the flavor and type of cake/icing that you have.  Some keep better than others. How the cake was prepared for freezing makes a HUGE difference.  If not properly wrapped and frozen, it won't be good. You must do this in a chest freezer that doesn't have a defrost cycle.  The defrost cycle actually allows the temperature to rise enough to keep the ice from building up.  This will essentially put your cake through multiple freeze/defrost cycles. I've also been told by people who do this that the cake tends to fare better than the icing.
    Posted by jtmh2012[/QUOTE]
    This is why we didn't save ours. We don't have a chest freezer, and I didn't want to end up with gross cake for our anniversary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards