Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Wedding/Reception Venues - York/Lancaster PA

Ok, I am already slowly at my wits end. I have had my heart set on moondancers winery in Wrightsville, but their prices are very unreasonable for very very little, as well as i am having a hard time getting their "planner" to return my calls.
So, I am unsure how else to go about finding a place for our wedding and reception, i would really like to keep it at the same place, but would be willing to change that. We are looking into a late August, early September 2012 date, so something outdoors AND indoors would be great. So far I have e-mailed a few of the local golf courses, as well as the JCC and Lauxmont farms is on the list to contact as well. My biggest problem is cost, as of right now we are paying for everything ourselves, and I am not crazy at all about a firehall wedding, and but how do you go about finding places? I mean i know word of mouth is the greatest source, but seriously, every place has either been half of my yearly salary, or just no interest. I've tried doing searches online, but keep coming up with the same places. Can someone send me some suggestions of local places to take a look at?

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

Re: Wedding/Reception Venues - York/Lancaster PA

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Try looking into the Historic Strasburg Inn/Fireside tavern.  They do weddings outside and have an inside reception hall.  The price was resonable and they have the hotel and catering all on site.  They were very nice to work with and we delt directly with the owners when we went to look!

We ended up booking our wedding at Lauxmont farms for this September!  I am a horse person so that sold it for me! :)  They have also been great to work with!  It is 3 sisters who own/run the wedding business.  One is a coordinator, one a photographer, and one is a florist.  There prices were slightly higer than other places we looked at but the property is georgous and they have four sites to choose from that accomidate any size wedding.  They have been very easy to get a hold of and have been a great help!

Hope this helps!

Suzy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've often seen people mention the Landis Valley Museum/Yellow Barn as a nice indoor/outdoor option and trying to keep costs down.

http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/

• Options
    cmng2703cmng2703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm not sure how big of a wedding you are having-but if you are having a smaller wedding (120 people or less) I would definitely look into Perfect Settings in Columbia, Daisy (the owner) is AMAZING to work with. She is always so prompt on returning email/phone calls. Her prices are great-she allows you to bring in your own caterer, drinks, and everything which saves you a ton! We are so happy with our experience with her thus far. If you would like additional information just let me know! Good luck!

• Options
    slpankuchslpankuch member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Riverdale Manor in Lancaster is  reasonabley priced from many other venues that I have looked at in the area. It looks like more the way they break down the pricing but when you look at them overall they are cheaper.
    You can control your alcohol cost because it is BYOB. They  will serve it but they let you bring your own. The food prices are reasonable.
    The place is beautiful. Indoor and wooded outdoor like you said. Also a pavillion that can fit 200 people under if it rains!
    If you go off season Oct through April the price drops. Also holidays like Memorial Day is a cheaper rate. (Most holidays book fast)
    I would not use Moondance Winery. I heard they are having financial problems. You don't want to put money down and then the place goes out of business because you will not get that money back!

Other places I have looked at:
    Eden Resort (lancaster): Not bad with prices. If you want the indoor courtyard it is pricey but the other rooms like ballrooms are reasonable. They also have an outdoor courtyard.
    Cameron Estate Inn (Mt. Joy, PA): My 2nd choice. Has indoor reception room and 3 areas outdoor to get married. Beautiful remote area and wooded. The reason I didn't pick it is because I wouldn't know what to do if it rains. I am not big on tents. Prices are decent.
    Harmony Hall (Middletown,PA) Big open room and an outdoor pond. Pretty place. A little more pricey unless you just want really basic food.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Royal Manchester Golf Links as well!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there much room for a dance floor if you have about 100 people at the Perfect Setting?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    JB26368JB26368 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look into Heritage Hills Golf Resort in York. We have our October wedding booked there and its beautiful! I thought the prices were reasonable for everything that you get, plus you can have your ceremony outside or inside and same with your reception. Their coordinator Tony is quick to respond back to emails and he's VERY easy to get along with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cmng2703cmng2703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TKing1286-
    In response to your question-yes there is plently of room for a dance floor at Perfect Settings for around 100 people. We are having around 125, and as soon as our guests are done eating Daisy and her staff will crash some of the tables that aren't being used down to make the dance area larger. Let me know if you have any more questions!
  • Options
    jrkjpfjrkjpf member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! I am making an appointment with Perfect Settings for this week, as well as a few others. I think once we start looking at venues, it will be hard for me to decide.

Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. -Bob Marley

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for posting this question!! I am having the same issues!! We are on a limited budget and I just keep going around and around in circles looking at places online and haven't been able to come up with anything. I think I might have to look into Perfect Settings too. Our wedding is in May, 2012 and everyone keeps telling me how fast venues book up so I'm really getting nervous. If Perfect Settings allows outside catering and all, it might just be worth it to take a look! Thank you so much!! I'm glad I'm not the only one going crazy!!
    178 Are Invited
    image 126 Are ready to Par-tay!!image 52 Are party poopers.image 0 Can't find the mailbox.image
    RSVP Date April 14
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cmng2703cmng2703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MDoyle-
    Definitely check out perfect settings! We are also on a limited budget and being allowed to have outsid catering has REALLY helped our budget. Please let me know if you need any additional information!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I checked out Perfect Settings last night. It was very beautiful and Daisy was very nice about answering all my questions, BUT I think it's going to be too small. She said it was set up for 80 while we were there but we only counted 66 chairs. If you were to double that, (we're having approx 120-130) I don't see how you'd fit it all in AND have room to walk around, let alone dance! I was so disappointed last night. If it were like twice the size, I would have booked it right then and there. My search continues....
    178 Are Invited
    image 126 Are ready to Par-tay!!image 52 Are party poopers.image 0 Can't find the mailbox.image
    RSVP Date April 14
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bbarre02bbarre02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Taste of Styles or the name may have been changed to Golden Stories by now.  It is right of the street from perfect settings.  They are amazing there.  The reception area has stone walls fireplace.  you are able to bring in your own alcohol and they are VERY well priced.  will be having my wedding reception there in December. 

the phone number is 717-681-0028.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've also looked at "Taste of Styles" for our next September wedding and i DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend the place!  Researching the place before hand I kept seeing reviews saying that the owner was less then friendly but i figured I would give it a try anyway.  Unfortunately (for them) the reviews didn't disappoint.  She was rude and acted as if she couldn't care less about the questions we were asking!  AND the space is SOO SMALL and you have to have your reception in the BASEMENT!  Seriously, the basement?!?!?!?  They may have stone walls but they're less then classy.  Heck, their food isn't even very good.  We decided to book with Daisy at Perfect Settings. She was friendly and very professional.  She answered all of the questions we asked and even answered some we didn't even know we had :P  She seems to really know what she's doing which definitely makes me feel confident about how my very special day will run.  The space is beautiful AND she proved that there IS ROOM FOR 125 GUEST AND A DANCE FLOOR! 

@MDoyle1217:  Definitely go and take a look as the space again.  The first time i visited it was set up for about 60 or so and i kinda had my misgivings about whether or not my 125 guests were going to all fit so i know exactly how you feel!! With 10 tables in the room and being told it was already set up for only 60 people it did look like there was no way in hell all of my guests would fit!  I asked Daisy about it and she kindly pointed out that the tables were only set up as 6 chairs to a table for some corporate event or other.   And after Daisy pointed a few things out and demonstrated it just proved to be perfect!  The second time i went (I wanted a second peek with my soon to be hubby :P) it had 13 tables out (130 seats!) and had a decent sized dance floor and area for a DJ.  

I just LOVE this space!!  Its historic. Its elegant.  You get a beautiful clean slate to work your theme and wedding colors because everything is so fantastically neutral colored in the ballroom AND you get a beautiful hardwood floor instead of those ugly maroon or green carpets you see everywhere else.  Everythings just perfect, right down to the pretty wood chairs!  And, to boot, you get fantastic service at a great price!  

I really couldn't ask for more!!  Its definitely worth a second peek!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards