Offbeat Weddings
Options

Non traditional wedding music...what do you think?

We're having a unique wedding so I didn't want to do traditional music.  These songs are what I've come up with so far because I think they're pretty songs, I just want to make sure they're not too cheesy or anything like that.  Please be honest, I promise I can take it.

Seating of the parents/Groom and groomsmen take places: A Drop in the Ocean by Ron Pope
Processional of bridesmaids: I can't help falling in love with you by Ingrid Michaelson
Procession of bride: 1000 years by Christina Perri (I hesitate to use this since I'm not a Twilight fan)

Recessional:  No ideas here.  I want something upbeat since I feel like it should be more joyful after the 'I dos' so if you have any suggestions, that would be great!

Re: Non traditional wedding music...what do you think?

• Options
    The Michaelson cover is the only one of those I know, but I'm a huge fan of non-traditional wedding music.

For your recessional, what makes you feel celebratory? What makes you jump and down when you hear it (inside your head or for real)? 

I did a few searches for 'celebratory music' and didn't find any obvious fits I wanted to suggest, but this the vein I'd search in. Look through your music playlists and see what jumps out as YAY music to you. 

I've heard Pump It by the Black Eyed Peas used. Maybe you're more Brand New Day by Sting people? I don't know.
  • Options
    I would let yourself listen to all the music on your ipod, on your hubby's ipod, at friends houses.... I was at a friend's house when Good Day by One Republic came on her radio and I was like THAT'S IT, so that was our recessional lol
  • Options
    I think those sound like great choices. I knew the Christina Perri song way before Twilight was out and I doubt that anyone would be thinking about that when they're at your wedding. I wouldn't have even made the association. All of our music is nontraditional - we are using M83 and Rick Astley lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The Eels have a great version of I can't help falling in love with you which we are considering for our first dance. We are doing all instrumental guitar versions of contemporary music since our wedding is on a beach and guitar is the most portable thing. We are stumped on a recessional song to we considered hootie and the blowfish only want to be with you and the Beatles all you need is love. Ultimately we still haven't found an upbeat one that works though FI is into country music so I am looking in that genre now. I'm interested to see what other ideas you get as well!
    Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary. ? J.M. Barrie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_non-traditional-wedding-musicwhat-do-you-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:923d9f1b-d6f5-480c-bad0-b4e797cca8b9Post:4ceba6ca-c054-4046-b4f8-e65112cc66e2">Non traditional wedding music...what do you think?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having a unique wedding so I didn't want to do traditional music.  These songs are what I've come up with so far because I think they're pretty songs, I just want to make sure they're not too cheesy or anything like that.  Please be honest, I promise I can take it. Seating of the parents/Groom and groomsmen take places: A Drop in the Ocean by Ron Pope Processional of bridesmaids: I can't help falling in love with you by Ingrid Michaelson Procession of bride: 1000 years by Christina Perri (I hesitate to use this since I'm not a Twilight fan) Recessional:  No ideas here.  I want something upbeat since I feel like it should be more joyful after the 'I dos' so if you have any suggestions, that would be great!
    Posted by mvance3[/QUOTE]<u>The song "1000 years" is great! Don't let twilight hurt the image of a song.</u> I would use this for a Doctor Who one since Rory waited 2000 YEARS. XD
    Anyway that song is great. If you want a good song that doesn't seem to game-like it is called "The Roost" from Animal Crossing Wild World. It doesn't sound game like at all. Nintendo music is good double for normal stuff. I think that would work for you.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdPMEpPQfvs" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdPMEpPQfvs</a>
    In love since July 2010 with the man of my geeky dreams. I want to marry him by 2015. Ooooh weeee oooooh....
  • Options
    Im a big fan of nontraditional wedding music.  Why not?  Does anyone sit around and listen to actual "wedding" music.  It seems to me its fairly meaningless.  I dont have any suggestions for you accept go with your gut feeling and don't worry about what other people think.  Likely they'll be moved that you selected a song personal to you and yours.
  • Options
    I love the idea! We are actually going to use Queen's Another One Bites the Dust as ours. I'm pretty excited about that. I'm also walking down the aisle to a piano version of White Wedding. I figure the elderly in the group will think its just another classical song they've forgotten about. The other Billy Idol fans in the room will likely smile and laugh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards