Oregon

DIY Brides...

I am just starting my wedding planning but I really want to do as much DIY as I can. So far I am planning to make my own invitations and decor. Does anybody have any good DIY wedding ideas? I'm thinking about making my own centerpieces with farmer's market flowers, but I'm not sure about the bridal bouquets.....any tips?
Right now my fave blog is www.mydiyweddingday.com 
Does anyone have any other good suggestions? Local (Portland, OR) resources are welcomed as well as non-local (web) resources. Thanks!

Re: DIY Brides...

• edited December 2011
    I love the DIY bride blog, it has brilliant ideas. I'd also check out the weddings section on the Martha Stewart site, they tend to have really classy projects that have great broken-down directions so they're easy to do well. Good luck!

http://www.diybride.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Don't forget about DIY'ing your music with an iPod! 
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing as much DIY as I can also. I got all my invite stuff from Paper Zone, they had awesome sample ideas to go off of, so I got exactly what I wanted. I would consider myself pretty crafty too, so I went crazy at Joann and am gonna start on my centerpieces and card box here in the next few days. I started with googling and searching sites for inspiration pics and then went from there with what I knew/know I can do. The two things that I know I cannot do better than a professional are flowers and cake and I am not skimping on those. We are going minimal on flowers, only getting boquets for me and my girls and a pomander for my flower girl. No bouteneers and that came in at just over $300 with Nancy's Floral in Gresham. We're starting cake tasting this weekend, so hopefully have that done soon.
  • edited December 2011
    I DIY'd a lot of stuff. I put together the invitations, made favors (jam), put together decorations for the aisle, lots of the little stuff too.
    Instead of putting together centerpieces ourselves, we took flowers from my mom's garden, and had a florist use them to make our centerpieces, and then she was able to supplement hers with what we already had. Made for cheap centerpieces (I bought the containers at Ikea too).

I got a lot of idea from Martha Stewart and looking through the photos on here. Just start collecting ideas and you'll see whats actually realistic, and will fit in, and what isn't going to happen. (I had 10x more ideas than what we actually used)

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    For the flowers I'm doing U-Pick at Krugers Farm on Sauvie Island. Waaaay cheaper than going to a florist and I think it will be a really fun outing with all the ladies!!
    imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • MerryfjMerryfj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photobucket
  • MerryfjMerryfj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And this site is pretty cool:

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/

They have some amazing deals.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.