Plus-Sized

Too early to buy gown??

Hi all! I fell in LOVE with a gown at DB (which I really didn't think would happen) I tried on gowns all over town and loved one but it wasn't so budget friendly, then I found the ONE at DB.  Our wedding is next December but is it too early to buy the gown this week?  The consultant at DB said since the dress has been in the store for a while it might be discontinued soon and my MOH will be in town this weekend and not again until Thanksgiving or Christmas so I would like to order it sooner rather than later.  I am usually a size 18 but I am going back on the weight loss wagon after gaining the "happy couple weight" and I know that depending on what the alterations consultant says the dress may be able to be made into a corset back.  So if I order the 18 and lose weight (I'm hoping at least the 20 lbs I've gained in the last couple years that would put be back in to a 16, or smaller which would be nice) will that be too much to take in the dress if its necessary?  I know its a lot easier to take in the dress than let it out but is there a limit that is too much to take the dress in to the point where you're better off just getting a smaller size (especially if it might be a size or two)?  Because in that case I might want to take the chance and just wait.  The dress is an empire waisted ball gown that is really only fitted in the waist and bust area... http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Shantung-Taffeta-Sweetheart-Ball-Gown-9T3039_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Size-Plus-Sizes

Re: Too early to buy gown??

• I just bought a dress from David's Bridal.  Did you ask the alternations person how much they could take the dress in?  I asked for the specific dress I bought and the alternations lady told me that they can take dresses in 2 sizes, she's taken some in 3 sizes before.  (She said that normally it is 10 pounds per "size", but it really depends on where you lose your weight.)

I don't think it is too early!  My wedding is next October and I bought mine last week.  I know that if I didn't buy the dress, I'd be trying on dresses and never find one that made me feel like the one I found.  

When you do back, I'd ask to talk to the alternations person if possible while you have the dress on.  I got to talk with her and she answered all my questions and even showed me some bustle options.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_too-early-to-buy-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:a3bf86f0-5f60-43fc-b317-440cc90d2995Post:7c41e58a-0760-4712-b1ad-cd290cf1466e">Re: Too early to buy gown??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just bought a dress from David's Bridal.  Did you ask the alternations person how much they could take the dress in?  I asked for the specific dress I bought and the alternations lady told me that they can take dresses in 2 sizes, she's taken some in 3 sizes before.  (She said that normally it is 10 pounds per "size", but it really depends on where you lose your weight.) I don't think it is too early!  My wedding is next October and I bought mine last week.  I know that if I didn't buy the dress, I'd be trying on dresses and never find one that made me feel like the one I found.   When you do back, I'd ask to talk to the alternations person if possible while you have the dress on.  I got to talk with her and she answered all my questions and even showed me some bustle options.
    Posted by sloaner09[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you so much!  I didn't have a chance to talk to the alterations consultant when I was in last week but hopefully I will on Sunday, thanks again for your help!</div>
  • Most dresses can be taken in 2 sizes without losing the structure of the dress. 
  • I bought my gown recently at David's.  I was also told that they can typically take a dress in 2 sizes without trouble (and they said they can let it out 1 size usually as well).  I say order it.  You never know when David's is going to discontinue something so if you love it, go for it. 

Oh, and I just clicked on your link and I have to say that it is a beautiful dress at a great price!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the responses!  Would this dress look good with a corset back??  I wonder only because the bodice is so short...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_too-early-to-buy-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:a3bf86f0-5f60-43fc-b317-440cc90d2995Post:56b345a4-a3d5-4dc0-b9d0-e78fd78affaa">Re: Too early to buy gown??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the responses!  Would this dress look good with a corset back??  I wonder only because the bodice is so short...
    Posted by cmlisenk[/QUOTE]

I would NOT put a corset in that dress.  you are right, the bodice is too short, and the corset will likely just look out of place.  You would only have room for a few laces, and it wouln't be flattering.
  • If you buy your gown now, just be ready to feel a little dress envy... I say dress envy instead of dress regret because I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. And I know that's how I felt sometimes.

I found my dress in early October of last year. I'm getting married in January. I knew that once I found it, it was perfect and I love everything about it. My mom cautioned me against deciding so early because what if I changed my mind. It was a big purchase to later want to change. Over the past year, the only issue I've had with having bought my dress so early is that I kind of robbed myself of the fun of trying on a ton of pretty dresses between then and when I would have had to of bought my dress. But not for one second have I regretted my choice or wanted to change dresses. It's just that pretty princess in me that wants to try on every pretty dress I see. So I think as long as you're sure, and you understand that there will be times that you want to try on something else but ultimately shouldn't, then go for it.

FWIW, my dress is also discontinued now so I am soooper glad I bought it when I did.

• I thought I was too far out to buy my dress, and to be honest, we were about 2 years out.  I didn't buy it. I thought it was too early.  You know where this is going, right?

Well, the dress was discontinued, and I couldn't find anything I loved nearly as much as I loved that original dress.  I LIKE the one I have now, but I still kick myself for not buying that dress, even 2 years out.  Nothing I've seen has come even remotely close to my original dress.  Even the day I walk down the aisle, I will wish I was wearing THE original dress that I opted not to buy because "it was too early."

So yes, buy the dress.  If it's THE one, you won't regret it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • I tried on that dress, it was my favorite until I found "the one". My alterations person said that to change it to a corset back you want the dress to fit perfectly or be a size too small. I am NOT going through DB for alterations.
    photo JamieMasonWedding-8992-S.jpg
  • Last year I went dress shopping with my friends and fell in love with a gown, but I decided to hold off because it was such a big purchase.  Well, fast forward a year, and we had to delay the wedding for a variety of reasons, and have changed almost every one of out original plans!  I just bought my dress and it's completely different from my previous "vision" but I still love it.  I'm glad that I waited and tried on about a hundred other dresses even though I really hated everything about wedding dress shopping.   
  • cmlisenkcmlisenk member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for all of your input ladies!  I bought my gown yesterday but it ended up not being either of my top two choices after the one with the bow was knocked out by the bridesmaids the consultant pulled this one our of the window for me to try on. This one can have a corset added to it which definitely swayed my decision (along with how great the fur trimmed cape looked with it Laughing), when I tried it on and showed it to my mom and girlies they LOVED it. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Taffeta-Gown-with-Pick-Up-Swirl-Skirt-9WG3397
  • Very nice dress! 
  • If you like it, just do it. Early is better than panic.
  • edited October 2012
    it's never too early. I paid a rush fee for my allure gown and it still was a month late.  NOT a happy bride. Order as soon as you know you love it!
  • If you buy it too early, pay attention to dress size. if you tried on and buy it in spring and your wedding is in winter. make sure you leave some room for the size.
  • Oh I know, that's why I was sure to order it so that it would be changed into a corset back. This way there's a bit more wiggle room than there would be if the back was simply a zipper back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards