New York-Upstate
Options

Looking for a DJ who isnt a tool

I know that sounds horrible but I am not really a fan of DJ's... I'd rather not have one but I keep hearing horror stories of iPod weddings so I'm giving in.

I want a DJ who is affordable and who wont act like a game show host!  I just want him to play music introduce us and let people know when it's their turn to eat/ announce cake cutting and first dance.

Has anyone had anyone good or bad?

Also- how much did you pay for your DJ or band?

Re: Looking for a DJ who isnt a tool

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to a couple of wedding with Kenny Casanova and he is great!
  • Options
    aral2003aral2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jeffrey Scott... without a doubt!  i chose him bc he was exactly what I wanted.  no cheesy stuff, no cha-cha slide, not unnecessary talking!!!!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    burtcherylburtcheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with you about DJs that are tools!
    There are many bad ones out there - more bad than good - no liability insurance, low end equipment and no talent.

We were fortunate to book a really excellent DJ/MC - Kevin Colangelo who owns Kevin Colangelo Premier DJs in Upstate NY.

If you want class and elegance then he is the MC for you!

I have seen many DJs as a caterer myself and he is a cut above all those I have ever seen and I have seen alot!

His site is
    www.djkevincolangelo.com
    Burt and Cheryl
  • Options
    BrenAndJoBrenAndJo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work at the Sage Colleges in Troy and we use a ton of DJs for events.  Garland Neslon has done some GREAT stuff here. 

I also work with an IT guy named Enrique Lopez who also has been Dj-ing since he was 15 (now in his 30's) and he is doing my wedding.  He's done and still does the club scene, plus radio and owns his own private events DJ-ing business so he is super expereinced and totally legit.  Not only does he come with a backup lap top and can hook his phone up to his sound system on the fly- but he has his own turntables, lighting, wears a Tux- the whole 9 yards.  He is fairly reasonable in price and I've heard nothing but amazing things from people here who have had him for their wedding and those who have seen him DJ at local clubs in Saratoga and Albany.  He is definitely not the 'tool type' and will only do the necessary announcements.  Let me know if you want his info and I can get it!  :)
  • Options
    klibertikliberti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BrenAndJo- check your PM!  Thanks!
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bill from Black Tie Entertainment.  We used him for our recent wedding and he was absoutely excellent.  He did our music for ceremony, cocktail hour and reception.  Totally professional and great music selection.  He is also honest with you.  We gave him a playlist of songs and he would give us some feedback such as  - "I'll ceratinly play it for you  but in my experience, this song is a floor clearer".  Highly recommend.
  • Options
    burtcherylburtcheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked at several Djs and looked at many in the Syracuse area and Black Tie was mentioned but we found out the owner of the dj service was arrested for having inappropriate relations with an under age girl at a school he was employed at in Skaneateles and was fired from his job as a teacher there and imprisoned for 6 months and got 10 eyars probation!
    If you google his name you can see all about it!
    http://badbadteacher.com/william-milham-arrested/

We thought it would not be approriate to engage anyone, let alone a dj service for our wedding with such a serious criminal record.
    Burt and Cheryl
  • Options
    NadiaKahnNadiaKahn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also used Kenny Casanova! We agree he was a lot of fun and also at a great price. He had a great start price and lots of options to customize the wedding so we got and only paid for just what we wanted. In the end, we added three packages and he was still about 30% cheaper than the other four DJs we had contacted.

He was really easy to work with, super laid back and understanding and very accomodating. He is out of Troy or Albany, NY area I think. We highly recommended him!   

518-506-3305 and  www.thedjservice.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards