Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

name change?

From what I understand (I could be wrong) you need to decide if you are going to take FI last name when you apply for the marriage license. 

I'm having a hard time making up my mind if I want to change my last name or not.  What are you guys doing and why?
Henry
imageHenry Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: name change?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm very proud of my last name and the heritage it represents. I'm one of few with my name left and could not imagine giving it up
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are hyphenating our names.  That way we get to keep our names but also have a unique name as a couple.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You are correct about needing to know what you're doing when you go to apply for your marriage license!

I'll be taking FI's last name.  I have two brothers that carried on our name, & at least one nephew, although I'm thinking we'll get another boy out of the other brother.

I guess, I just always thought I would take my husbands last name, so it wasn't a hard decision for me. 

One thing you could do, to keep your maiden name, is change your middle name to your maiden name.  My co-worker did that, so now she's Lisa Olsen newlastname.

GL in your decision!  = )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't believe I forgot to put a possiblity of hyphenating! Especially since my mom's last name is hyphenated. 

One of the reasons its a hard decision for me is that I don't have any brothers, and my Dad died a few years ago. I just don't know if I want to lose that connection to my father.
    Henry
    imageHenry Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As of right now, I am undecided. But that's because I have 2 kids who won't be changing their name and I'm not sure if I want to deal with the hassle of not having the same last name as my kids....  Our wedding is 2 years away and my kids are already starting to question it. I can't wait for the "you must love his kids more because you have the same name as them" talk!

On the other hand is the hassle of not having the same name as hubby...

*SIGH*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so torn about this too. I wanted originally to hyphenate my last name, but I 've been told by so many (including my Mom who had her name hyphenated) that it's too tricky with taxes, children, insurance and other things. I don't know what to do. I will be keeping my middle name too b/c it's tied with my own business. AH!

12/17/86 - "Once upon a time...." 10/08/11 - "Happily ever after..." imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker White Knot Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am so excited to change my last name! I love FI's last name, and think my name goes with his last name better than my current last name :)
  • Options
    colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will be changing my last name to his. It is just something I have never had a second though about. I am very excited to some day share his name!
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did take my husband's surname despite lack of brothers :)  His last name is a bit more unique than mine, so I like it... except needing to spell or pronounce it for everyone who asks now.  If I have a son someday, I plan on using my maiden name as his first or middle name to carry it on! 

I will say that the name change process has been a massive pain in the neck so far, though... my head is spinning with all the places I need to contact to notify them of the change.  One of my coworkers legally changed her name, but she still goes by her maiden name professionally because it would have confused a lot of vendor and client contacts!  I'm still new enough in my profession that I can get away with a change. 
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to hate my last name, but I've really grown into it and now love it. It's very unique, to the point that everyone with our last name is related, so I think that's very cool. Plus FI's last name is VERY common, and I really don't want to be another "Jennifer Johnson" (not the actual name, but another common one). Plus my last name is tied to my business, so I would for sure keep it professionally anyway.
  • Options
    ogrady88ogrady88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This was probably the toughest decision I had to make while planning. I finally decided to do: First Middle Maiden NewLast
    So I have two middle names now. I feel like this way I have the same last name as my children will, but it still tells the story of who I am.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Ogrady.

I had a really hard time giving up my name. Ultimately, I decided I want to have the same last name as my future children, and I want them to have the same name as my husband.  Keeping his name was very important to him as well.  However, I didn't want to give up my name completely.

I'm now Stephanie Middle Maiden Married.  I have two middle names. To be honest; it's a massive pain in the ass. Looking back, I would have dropped my middle name.
  • Options
    wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took my husband's last name and didn't give it a single thought.  I like the idea of sharing a last name with my children too.  My maiden last name is 12 letters long.  My new married last name is 11.  There was NO way I was going to hypenate or add it to my middle because I'd be writing for a decade if I ever needed to use it for legal purposes.  Taking DH's name was the best choice for me.
  • Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto steph and ogrady... I turned my last name into a second middle name.

It was tough, because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my maiden name. It's really, really simple (one syllable, four letters) but is still pretty uncommon... so it always felt like a very strong, confident last name. DH's name, however, I still have a love/hate relationship with. HOWEVER, I didn't like the idea of having a different name from both my husband and my future kids. Call me old-fashioned.

Both my mom and her mother had replaced their middle names with their maiden names when they got married, so I felt I was kind of giving them a nod in my decision. I couldn't give up my existing middle name, though, so I kept all of it. So now I have a 8-syllable, 25-letter name. To make that even funnier, my first name is MaryBeth... so everyone was always surprised that I had a middle name to begin with... and now I have two :-)
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't really give much thought to taking my husband's last name -- I think it would've been a dealbreaker. A tiny part of me was sad about giving up my name, but my personal email addresses have my old last name in them, so I kept them -- that way I can still kind of hold onto my maiden name, in a way.
  • Options
    ogrady88ogrady88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_name-change-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:abbdbd68-dd80-4552-843c-1e8f01f1ae94Post:17ff316f-f26f-4ce0-a78b-c461331caaff">Re: name change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Ogrady. I had a really hard time giving up my name. Ultimately, I decided I want to have the same last name as my future children, and I want them to have the same name as my husband.  Keeping his name was very important to him as well.  However, I didn't want to give up my name completely. I'm now Stephanie Middle Maiden Married.  I have two middle names. To be honest; it's a massive pain in the ass. Looking back, I would have dropped my middle name.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I just changed my name in the past month. What trouble has it caused? I just want to know what to be ready for :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh!  Forgot to mention...FI and I will have the same hyphenated last name, he is changing his as well.  We also plan to give our kids the same last name.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_name-change-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:abbdbd68-dd80-4552-843c-1e8f01f1ae94Post:7862c70e-effc-414e-850d-047838df54a3">Re: name change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't believe I forgot to put a possiblity of hyphenating! Especially since my mom's last name is hyphenated.  One of the reasons its a hard decision for me is that I don't have any brothers, and my Dad died a few years ago. I just don't know if I want to lose that connection to my father.
    Posted by PaddyB[/QUOTE]

This is the EXACT boat I am in. My father died when I was six and to be honest, I haven't kept in touch with his side of the family. My mom remarried, so I feel like my last name is the last connection to him.

I hope the decision doesn't stress you too much and that you are content with whatever you decide!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_name-change-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:abbdbd68-dd80-4552-843c-1e8f01f1ae94Post:3ef89598-4f75-4383-b233-077f29ba9406">Re: name change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: name change? : I just changed my name in the past month. What trouble has it caused? I just want to know what to be ready for :)
    Posted by ogrady88[/QUOTE]

<div>Wellll since I've changed my name, we bought a house and I got a new job.  So I've had a ton of paperwork to fill out, and then all the address change and name change forms.  My name barely fits on my DL, too. haha. But I have a 9 letter first name, 3 letter and 8 letter middle name, and a 9 letter last name ;) so 30 letters and 9 syllables. haha</div>
  • Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_name-change-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:abbdbd68-dd80-4552-843c-1e8f01f1ae94Post:50443761-7d07-42a7-836d-cc1883eaae95">Re: name change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: name change? : Wellll since I've changed my name, we bought a house and I got a new job.  So I've had a ton of paperwork to fill out, and then all the address change and name change forms.  My name barely fits on my DL, too. haha. But I have a 9 letter first name, 3 letter and 8 letter middle name, and a 9 letter last name ;) so 30 letters and 9 syllables. haha
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Dammit. You beat me by 5 letters and a syllable!
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_name-change-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:abbdbd68-dd80-4552-843c-1e8f01f1ae94Post:112e9b8d-016f-4e5a-bbd2-1a8fd756f822">Re: name change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh!  Forgot to mention...FI and I will have the same hyphenated last name, he is changing his as well.  We also plan to give our kids the same last name.
    Posted by kellyfranks[/QUOTE]

<div>Kelly I love this. I wish I could talk FI into doing this, but there's no way, heh. A friend of mine who is getting married next week, her FI is taking her name, which I thought was really cool. Because really, why shouldn't the guy take our name? :-P</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards