Retro and Vintage Weddings

Ideas for music during dinner other than the standard Sinatra set??

I feel like every wedding I go to has the classic Frank Sinatra music playing during dinner. Well, don't get me wrong, we LOVE Frank. But we want to save a few of those songs for when we can dance on the dance floor! Can anyone recommend some music for the dinner hour that's vintage? I'm sure I can dig some up and get some ideas, but I thought I'd try here too.

Re: Ideas for music during dinner other than the standard Sinatra set??

• You can never go wrong with Billie Holliday or Ella Fitzgerald. You should be able to find CD's by decade. We found a roaring twenties one for our cocktail hour.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Amazon has some pretty cool looking music by the decade - just search around based on the decade or type of music you're into (I guess loud jazz music might not be the best for dinner, but I believe you can preview clips of songs on amazon before purchasing)
  • Nat king Cole,
    ella fitzgerald,
    patsy cline,
    etta james
    billie holliday
    louis armstrong
    dean martin
    paul anka

you can also try micheal buble or matt dusk as dinner music.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • These were some songs on my playlist:
    Smoke gets in my eyes: The Platters
    Don't You Know: Della Reese
    What a Wonderful World: Louis Armstrong
    Only You: The Platters
    All I Have To Do Is Dream: The Everyly Brothers
    Unchained Melody: The Righteous Brothers
  • Our "dinner hour music" was the CD from "Something's Gotta Give", which has a lot of older music. The DJ just put it on and let it play....

I'd recommend finding a CD that is the soundtrack for a movie that has the music you want. It's easier and you get a nice mixture of various artists.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_ideas-music-during-dinner-other-standard-sinatra-set?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:667Discussion:17137e7a-3c24-4a47-a0e8-cb10f7481fb9Post:2185e833-1863-4505-9500-27b8d7cdd3c6">Re: Ideas for music during dinner other than the standard Sinatra set??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our "dinner hour music" was the CD from "Something's Gotta Give", which has a lot of older music. The DJ just put it on and let it play.... I'd recommend finding a CD that is the soundtrack for a movie that has the music you want. It's easier and you get a nice mixture of various artists.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]
    I love that CD! 
    Anniversary
  • I agree with pps about getting music from a specific era. I scoured the library for CDs and found some really good ones by year. I can't remember the name, but they had an old jukebox on the front. If you have a big library nearby chances are they'd have these. I would also suggest using Pandora to find some songs you like. Put in Frank Sinatra and you will get all kinds of crooners and swooners from the 50s.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards