Outdoor Weddings

HELP! What do I do with the Cake?

I'm having an entire outdoor wedding (ceremony/reception/etc) and I just realized that I have no idea what to do with the Cake. The other food is being made fresh on site (BBQ style wedding). But How can I display my cake and keep it SAFE from bacteria? I was wondering if they rent anything like a chilled (we have access to electricity in the pavillion) display table, like a buffett table that runs refrigeration? I want to both DISPLAY and EAT (safely) the cake. The cake is a huge centerpeice to ANY wedding, and I don't like the suggestions I've heard from the bakers (Leave it in an SUV with the air conditioning running until cake cutting time) etc.

What are all you lovely ladies doing for your cake at your outdoor weddings?

Re: HELP! What do I do with the Cake?

• What kind of cake are you having that you're worried it can't be out for a few hours without being chilled?  Our reception was indoors, but we had cheesecake just sitting on the table for several hours and had no problems.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • We have not decided what kind of cake we want yet. There's a difference between a cake being inside air conditioning at probably 50-60 degrees, and a cake outside in the sun in what could be 80-90 degree weather. being made out of milk and eggs and starches, it would be perfect breeding grounds for salmonella. I've actually emailed my site cordinator at my venue asking for advice and what other brides have done. The reception will be under a large pavillion with access to electricty. I was hoping maybe there were such things as chilled buffett tables which could be rented and plugged in - like when I go to a salad bar, and the plates and everything are cold.

the baker I had called told me that the best idea he had seen was to just leave it in an SUV with the A/C on. He said other than that, being made of buttercream, it'd turn into a melty gooey and unstable mess. He advised to just keep it indoors somewhere until cake cutting time, but if we do that, I might as well just go with cupcakes as they are easier to transport, and if the cake's not going to be sitting there for dinner, then it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

We're arriving to decorate and set up and then doing photos aproximately 2 hours prior to the ceremony. We are having a short ceremony (hopefully under 35 minutes) and no cocktail hour moving straight to dinner for 1 to 1.5 hours, followed by cake cutting, so the cake would be in 80-90 degree weather hopefully for no more than 3-4 hours, but I'm still worried. Here in the north east, it is extremely humid in the summers.
  • Well first of all if your having your wedding outdoors and it's going to be warmer then 72F I wouldn't even consider buttercream icing, it's going to melt everywhere like your baker said.  I would go with a fondant, it can take the heat better. 
    Is there anyway you can have the cake delievered during the ceremony?
    I really wouldn't be too worried about poisoning from a cake. Especially if it's not cheesecake. If anything I'd be more worried that the meat is going to be handled properly over getting food poisoning from cake.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Our wedding was entirely outside as well.  It was in October, but it was around 80 degrees the day of the wedding.  Our cake had buttercream icing and was delivered a couple of hours before the ceremony.  It sat outside under the tent from the time it arrive until the reception was over with no melted icing or spoilage.  To be honest, I never even gave it a thought that the cake would be outside in the heat and might spoil.  The only thing that went even remotely wrong with the cake was that when we went to cut it, there were two little spiders hanging out on one side :o)  They must have dropped down from the tent but they cleared off quick...the surprise of seeing them made for an amusing moment on my wedding video though. 
  • Whether the cake is in air conditioning or 80 degree weather won't affect how safe it is to eat. Both those temps are in the "danger zone," which is fine for up to about 4 hours. (btw, most bakers freeze their cakes for about an hour right before delivery to help keep it stable during transit, so it buys you some extra time, too, since the cake won't come to temp for about 40 min to an hour anyway, depending on how big it is.) But this is only really applicable if you have a custard filling or mousse, or something similar. Sugar is an excellent preservative, so if you have a fruit preserve filling, or chocolate fudge, or plain buttercream, you're going to be okay. They aren't really potentially hazardous foods like meat or tomatoes. What you do have to worry about is the icing melting off the cake, which is why I would suggest fondant, like pp said, if it's going to be in the afternoon. Either way, I suggest putting it under something, be it a tent, or awning, or whatnot, just so tree bits don't blow on it, birds don't land on it, and being in the shade will go a long way in keeping it from melting. A covered pavilion should be fine. I don't recommend asking your baker to deliver during the ceremony. It's cutting it too close, and it will look like they are late if any of the guests see it being brought in, which doesn't reflect well on them.
  • will the baker freeze it before he brings it to you... they do that around here all the time and it comes out fine. 
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Huh.  I leave cake out under tinfoil for days on end.  So far, I haven't died. 

I would really be more concerned about the icing than the cake itself.  And I'd be most concerned that the icing will melt in that heat and your cake will fall more than I'd be concerned about bacteria.

It really depends on the temperature.  If it's 80 or 90 degrees, I'd have it delivered just before the reception starts and keep it as a centerpiece outside as long as you can. 

My friends were married in 95 degree heat several years ago.  During toasts, someone noticed the cake was leaning and about to fall.  Several groomsmen ran over, held it up, they cut it quickly, and it was whisked off to be cut.  No one got salmonella - promise. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:107c8718-2430-47a9-8c48-aab5f8437ae5Post:a930cf7f-392b-4e7f-9e8a-d9a49aa4b563">Re: HELP! What do I do with the Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding was entirely outside as well.  It was in October, but it was around 80 degrees the day of the wedding.  Our cake had buttercream icing and was delivered a couple of hours before the ceremony.  It sat outside under the tent from the time it arrive until the reception was over with no melted icing or spoilage.  To be honest, I never even gave it a thought that the cake would be outside in the heat and might spoil.   
    Posted by xBrynnx[/QUOTE]

<div>This is pretty much what happened with us too.  It was outside for at least 5 hours, under the shade of the tent only, with temps in the mid-80's and it was fine.  the icing didn't melt, it tasted fine.  I think you are over-thinking this.  </div>
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • You can keep butter at room temperature for days without is spoiling, I know lots of people who keep a soft stick on their counters. Also, if you ever watch these crazy cake decorating shows, it often takes them days to finish the cakes and they sit out for hours at a time without being refrigerated. No one is going to get sick from a regular cake sitting out for a few hours. There are chilled buffet tables, we have one at the restaurant where I work, but it might be hard to find one and it will only be chilled on the bottom, which probably won't be that helpful. As several others stated, melting icing and falling cake are your big concerns. I think the freeezing seems like the best solution. Your baker should know how long it will take for the cake to come to room temp.
  • Maybe you can order one of those huge blocks of 'crsytal ice' and use it as a cake stand?  With a tray to catch drips of course and waterproof layer of fiol or something between cake and ice.

On the other hand my sister's cake sat out for several hours in warm temps, and although the buttercream did get a little bit melty and come colors ran a bit, no one got sick and the cake was delicious.
  • Most cakes have enough sugar in them to prevent them from spoiling immediately.  Regular white flour also has preservatives in it that will help the cake last longer.  I think the only thing that could potentially melt is the icing.

Could you have the cake delivered after the ceremony?  This would allow it to be kept cold for awhile longer.  You could also have the baker freeze or refrigerate it prior to setting it out so that it will stay cold for longer.

Additionally, you could cut the cake sooner.  I've been to weddings where the couple has the first dance at the beginning of the reception, then cake cutting, and then dinner is served.  That way the cake wouldn't be sitting out for very long at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP that as long as it isn't going to melt, it's really a non-issue. Keep it out of direct sun.
  • sunshine9779sunshine9779 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering about this too. I like the idea of cutting the cake before dinner if the cake looks like it needs rescuing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards