Canada-Ontario
Options

Photographer!

I'm looking into a good photographer for my wedding.

Who did you use for your engagment pics and wedding pics?
How much is the going rate for photographer in this area?

I haven't looked into many yet, just finding recommendations from fellow knotties.

Thanks a bunch!
*Melissa*
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
*Our furbabies: Oski (dog), Jax (cat)*
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
~*Good luck to my BFPB's: MercierGirl, DBoo0510, mrskristend821, & NewbieLisette*~

Re: Photographer!

• Options
    miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer is Tara McMullen (http://www.taramcmullen.com) and I think she's awesome! So far she has done our engagement shoot which was included in her package. We've seen a couple pics and can't wait to see the rest.

I spoke to almost 10 photographers before settling on Tara. I guess I have high end taste when it comes to photography, because they all ranged from $3000 - $10,000. There's definitely photographers in Toronto under $3000; be sure to check out blogs and see their most recent shoots to get a feel for their style and quality. Coverage time, number of photographers, demand, etc. all affect pricing. In the end, pay what you think is worth it, and be comfortable about what you spend.
  • Options
    mel66mel66 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Miellen, I'll check her website out for sure.

I got a list of recommended photographers from the RBG and they have on their list Captured Memories Photography.

Has anyone used them before? Or heard anything good or bad about them?
    *Melissa*
    *Our furbabies: Oski (dog), Jax (cat)*
    ~*Good luck to my BFPB's: MercierGirl, DBoo0510, mrskristend821, & NewbieLisette*~
  • Options
    sugiepiesugiepie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer was David Goodfellow.  We are very happy with the pro pic teasers he sent us.  His style is very candid.  I think 10 hours of coverage is close to $2500- $3000.

If you google his name his website will come up. He is based in kitchener but travels without a fee.
  • Options
    alabombalabomb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Melissa,

When my finace and i were looking for a photographer we found a bunch that had great prices-all under $3000 for 8-10 hours of coverage. We both like more artsy/candid pictures so if thats something u like then u should check the following photographers out...

Phillipa Croft photography (the one we chose!) Johnny Sey,  Olivia Brown photography, Roman Urban or Stephen sager.

Make sure when you meet with the photographers that you feel comfortable with them becasue you'lll be spending your whole wedding day with them. My best advice would be to always make sure that the photographer you do choose gives you a high res CD with all the unmarked images on them. That way you dont have to keep coming back to ur photographer if you want extra prints.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hired Jill Promoli - loved working with her and she was very reasonably priced. We got a 10-hour package but she actually stayed longer than that to cover as much as we wanted. You can see my pics in my married bio. We weren't looking for super artsy, stylized photos; we just wanted some fresh snapshots of the day.

http://www.jillpromoli.com

I think you can get photographers starting at $500, but at that range you're really just looking at Joe Schmoes with cameras who call themselves photographers. There are some decent ones starting at around $1,000 though. I'd suggest just figuring out the maximum amount you're willing to spend and finding the best photographer you can within that range.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! We are using www.daveandcharlotte.com - they are fantastic! They've already done our e-shoot and will be shooting our wedding this summer. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH and I hired Tami McInnis. She was great - she was so much fun, and she and her assistant stayed an extra hour to capture everything that we wanted. Her prices were really reasonable as well.

http://www.TamiMcInnis.com
  • Options
    ellis_jleellis_jle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out www.photosbylam.com

She was my photographer and her rate was $1600 for 8 hours.

Her pictures are amazing.

I'm in there under "featured weddings" "Jennifer & Craig"
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Our photographer is BRUCE ZINGER. He did my best friend's wedding last year and he is not only and incredible photographer, he is a super nice man and very professional. He's actually the photog for the National Baller & Canadian Opera company, too.

His website is: http://www.brucezinger.com/

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 - 8/27/10 - D&C 10/27/10 @ 13 weeks to Trisomy 18
    Missing our Angel Baby Gabriel
    BFP#2 - 3/18/11 - CP 3/19/11 BFP#3 - 4/27/11 - Due 1/9/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oops - I meant National Ballet. And he's in Toronto.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 - 8/27/10 - D&C 10/27/10 @ 13 weeks to Trisomy 18
    Missing our Angel Baby Gabriel
    BFP#2 - 3/18/11 - CP 3/19/11 BFP#3 - 4/27/11 - Due 1/9/12
  • Options
    shawna7876shawna7876 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im using a company called Day dream studios I loved the engagment shoot and prices are where they should be for this area the company did my sisters weding and it was awesome good luck with your search
  • Options
    Alice81410Alice81410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Melissa,

We hired Stephen Sager as our photographer. Like Alabomb said above, he does more artsy/candid shots. He was the photographer at my fiance's brother's wedding this past August and he also did their engagement shoot, and we absolutely love his work!
  • Options
    I booked with Michelle from Smile Photography.  She's super cool, and down to earth...really easy to talk to and friendly! 

Her packages are cheaper, around $2000-$3000,  but her photography is high end. She's a one woman show and does everything herself so it's really easy to get a hold of her and work with her.  I had a hard time getting through to other companies' owners and photographers if they were a big company...I felt like they just wanted to book me for the $$...kinda pushy, and didn't care as much about my wedding day. I'm pretty sure Michelle only books a limited amount per year so she really focuses on the weddings she does shoot AND THAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT!  In fact I would recommend asking all photographers how many weddings they shoot a year.  You don't just want to be a number, or get a tired, cranky, overworked photographer.

We had our e-shoot in the fall and the photos turned out amazing, we're so stoked for her to shoot our wedding. She gives a lot of direction too so if you're a bit nervous or don't know what you're doing she's really great at interacting with you!

Her website and contact is www.smilephotography.ca, email: info@smilephotography.ca.  She has a blog linked to her site too.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I can second the Jill Promoli recommendation.  I strongly suggest checking her out.  She's done my wedding as well as my bpics and a family shoot, and I've seen her in action at other people's weddings as well. 

I can honestly say that you won't find a more dedicated photographer than her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards