Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception with a pool and kids

We are planning our wedding and I think I found the perfect site.  It's a little outdoor area with a deck, grass area and pool.  I'm worried about kids being around the pool at the reception, not to mention adults who've been drinking.  It's a very casual affair but I doubt people will be swimming.  Is it better to just find a venue without a pool or trust that people will be responsible enough to handle it?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reception with a pool and kids

• Options
    Hopefully people can be trusted. You know your guests, though... are any of them the type to wander or randomly fall into a pool while drunk?

I would worry about the kids if the adults aren't sober enough to watch them carefully, though.
  • Options
    Save yourself a ton of stress & find a different venue.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about the adults but I might worry about the kids.  It seems like it would cause extra stress for the parents to watch their kids more closely.  I think if you choose this venue, you should let parents know in advance that there is a pool that is not enclosed so then they can decide whether they would rather just leave the kids at home instead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ask the venue if they have any sort of way to cover the pool.  They may have a temporary fence that inserts into holes in the ground around it for such events.  I imagine that in order to get insurance/a license to operate as a venue, they would have had to prove that the pool wasn't a danger.

If they don't, and the pool is within walking distance/eyesight to where your event will be, I'd find a different venue.
  • Options
    Yes, I would be a little worried too.  There was an episode of Bridezillas, where the ceremony and reception was held at a location that was near a lake.  Well, wouldn't you know it two kids were playing around and one fell in.  Almost drowned because they couldn't swim.  Disrupted the whole wedding (as it should) - I say it might be a little too risky. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-pool-kids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a0dd78c4-4480-4773-aa56-3dc18fbbcc58Post:f19de582-7cae-479b-9146-f0b9166ae6f3">Re: Reception with a pool and kids</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I would be a little worried too.  There was an episode of Bridezillas, where the ceremony and reception was held at a location that was near a lake.  Well, wouldn't you know it two kids were playing around and one fell in.  Almost drowned because they couldn't swim.  Disrupted the whole wedding (as it should) - I say it might be a little too risky. 
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

You would think that if someone KNEW it would be near a body of water, they would leave their children at home OR have a good eye on them.  Some people are a little dumb in that fact.

My cousin got married in a backyard.  There was a pool there, but it was a sunday afternoon.  After all the major stuff was done and over with, they invited people to swim if they liked.  Made for a little more fun on a hot day.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    If there will be alcohol, find another venue.  I do NOT trust drunk people and kids around a pool.  Once when my dad was drunk he dropped me off the diving board of his cousin's pool.  I was a toddler and didn't know how to swim - my uncle had to jump in to get me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards