Catholic Weddings
Options

Prayer Request - My Job

My friends, it's my turn to ask for a prayer request. I have been struggling all day today about my job and my heart is so heavy.

I've worked for nearly ten years with chronic sexual offenders. Not surprisingly, this is very intense work with few extrinsic rewards. I've felt this work was my calling and my mission...my way to give to those whom very few people want anything to do with, the lepers of our society today. If you've ever worked with personality disorders, you know exactly how much it's like beating your head against the wall and occasionally finding a soft spot.

But they keep hurting each other, and today I feel like I reached my limit with it, on top of the legal issues that are a constant, the lack of appreciation, the criticism of the public and the frequent lack of hope and encouragement. For every one that is doing well - and there are many who are very, very sorry for what they did and are desperate to stop doing it - there are four or five who could care less and just keep hurting others. I'm getting to the point where I'm struggling to find compassion for the ones who who aren't at all committed to change. In addition, I just keep feeling more and more pulled to do something, somewhere, where I can incorporate my spirituality and don't have to hide it because I work for the State.

So today, after the latest episode, I just decided I'm going to look into my options. I contacted a couple of my former bosses - one is the director at the clinic where I went to grad school, and they have positions for psychologists to conduct assessments.

Another is the director at the anxiety disorders clinic where I did my postdoc - and they have a program that is right up my alley: they have a psychology and spirituality program, and one of their client groups is clergy who have struggled with sexual abuse. I would dearly, dearly love to work somewhere where I can be more open about my faith, and work with some people who truly want to change.

It's not perfect by far...it's in the city, a good hour plus away, and I HATE commuting. I have no idea what the money would be like, and one reason why I didn't want to work in the private sector is because I didn't want to deal with managed care. i've been a psychologist for a long time, but because I've worked for the state I haven't had to worry about being on insurance panels, so that would take some catching up.

I don't know what to do. I have dear, dear friends where I work now, but I sometimes dread getting up and going to work each morning. I don't want to abandon my clients - and as a clinical director, they're ALL my clients - but I honestly don't know how much good I'm doing them anymore.

I'm going to keep exploring my options and pray to see what God's will is for me. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated -

Thank you - 

Linda
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: Prayer Request - My Job

• Options
    Linda, you will be in my prayers, and I will ask my family to pray for you as well.  With the passion you have for making a difference, though (which is quite apparant by this post) I'm sure that no matter where He leads your feet, you will do good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    God bless you for the incredibly difficult job you've taken upon yourself, Linda.

Prayers coming your way!
    Anniversary

• Options

You're a far better woman than I, Lynda!  I'll keep you in my prayers tonight

• Options
    Umm, you are amazing.  Many prayers for you in discerning where your work is leading you! 
  • Options
    My prayers for you and your journey. It takes an incredible person to do the work you've done at all, let alone for a long time as you have. Wherever God leads you, I'm sure you'll do well.
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    wow, that is tough. Praying for you!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That's really tough and it take a lot to be in a job like that, you must be an amazing woman.  Best of luck and you are in my prayers!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Prayers your way!    Also, YGPM in a couple minutes!

• Options
    You will definitely be in my prayers.
    Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. -1Peter 4:8
  • Options
    I will pray that you are lead to the correct job.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone...I am still contemplating, though I did talk to both my boss and my husband. My boss is very sympathetic, and there may be a way that I can continue to work at my current facility - in a leadership position - but increase the mix of my clientele - in other words, not 100% sex offenders. I think that might make a huge difference, and it would alleviate my husband's concerns (he's worried about my taking work in the city, and also if I leave my current job that affects both our health insurance). But there are lots of changes that would have to take place for that to happen. However, it felt good to just let someone know where I was.

I didn't make it to Ash Wednesday this morning and almost didn't go after work, but I felt that spirit and movement, so I made it, and was so glad I did. 

Thank you so much for your continued prayers. I appreciate them more than I can tell you.

Linda

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Linda, it sounds like you have compassion fatigue right now! I'll pray that you end up doing work that fulfills you without causing such stress and anxiety.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards