Military Brides
Options

Renewing our vows...

My husband and I got married in June 3 weeks before his year long deployment. It was a close family only ceremony and dinner. We have decided to renew our vows and have a bigger reception when he returns next summer.

There are plenty of books and websites that help couples with wording STD and invites, but I haven't been able to find the "proper" way to work our vow renewal ceremony and reception. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Re: Renewing our vows...

• Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would definitely post on the specific boards for the questions you have.  Invites & Paper for the invite wording.  Banana is the mod and is always really good on invites wording.  Etiquette board for anything etiquette related.

I can tell you one piece of advice going forward though thats definitely a major etiquette rule.  Your wedding in June was your wedding day, and this vow renewal will be a vow renewal ceremony, not a 2nd wedding.  So for a vow renewal you aren't supposed to do a lot of the wedding traditions, like bouquet toss, cake cutting, etc.  I'm not sure what you were planning, but that is definitely one etiquette rule for a vow renewal.

As for the invites, do you want to do something formal?  If so, I would word them simlar to a wedding invite, but replace wedding with vow renewal ceremony.  For example:

Please join us
    for a vow renewal ceremony
    between(?) Rel and Mr. Rel Smith

on Month, day
    Time

Dinner to follow at location

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Or you could just say screw etiquette like I'm doing for my vow renewal.  We're cutting cake, tossing garters, first dancing, etc.  My family wouldn't attend if these things were not included.  I think you should think about the people you will be inviting and what kinds of things they would like to enjoy at your vow renewal.  This will help you decide how closely to follow etiquette rules.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My grandparents had a vow renewal for their 50th and did the cake cutting and bouqet toss.  It's perfectly fine.  I've never seen anything to state otherwise.  There are plenty of people around here who can help you with your wording.  Several girls are planning a VR. 
    Here is a link to help:
    http://www.idotaketwo.com/invitation_6.html
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    rel611rel611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice...we have decided to do things our way. It's our day and it marks the real beginning of our lives together. We will be cutting cake, having a first dance, and all of the other wedding things we purposely didn't do on our first wedding day.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards