Getting in Shape
Options

**DeadUtopia**

I wasn't sure if you'd check the earlier thread, so I put my response here.

In Response to Re: Heel pain:
[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heel pain : Now I'm terrified because these are the EXACT symptoms I'm having with my left foot.
Posted by DeadUtopia[/QUOTE]

No, no!  It's really okay!!

I had it for 1.5 years thinking that it would "go away."  Yeah... it's doesn't.  I went to the podiatrist.  He was awesome.  They did an x-ray to confirm that I didn't have a heel spur, then gave me stretches, twos splints and (most awesomely) a cortisone injection. 

They explained that stretching consistently (three times a day) would fix PF, but first my inflammation had to die down.  I could wait it out or get a shot in my foot to help it along.  One injection + lots of stretching = pain free.  Go to the doctor - they're very helpful!

Re: **DeadUtopia**

• Options
    DeadUtopiaDeadUtopia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's reassuring! Thanks for posting this! I'm so scared of going to the doc because of course I have these visions of him telling me "Off with your foot!" or something along those lines. FI will try to massage my foot, but I haven't thought about stretches. What stretches were recommended to you? I think I will plan a trip to the Dr., but it will have to wait until after the new year.
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got three.

1. Stand in front of a wall and place your hands on it.  Move on foot slighty back from the wall.  Lean into the wall keeping your back leg straight and feel the stretch from your knee down to your heel.

2. Same stance as above, but bend the knee of the foot you want to stretch out.

3. Using a towel, sit with your leg outstretched in front of you.  Place the towel around your foot and hold each end in each hand.  Gently pull the ball of your foot/toes toward you. 

I was told to stretch three times a day and stretch both legs (not just the one that hurts). 
  • Options
    Also - a night splint helps a lot. It keeps your foot gently stretched all night so you don't have so much pain in the morning. 

I used the Strassburg sock for awhile (put it into amazon.com).  It hurt my toes but other people don't have such a problem with it.

My doctor gave me a different splint with velcro and straps (yikes), but it hurts my heel.  Haha - I can't win!

They did also tell me that it wasn't so important to wear it all night while sleeping (I usually take mine off halfway through the night), but to wear it while watching TV or relaxing at night works, too.

I'm not a doctor (of medicine), so I'm just repeating what they told me.  Definitely go see your doctor.  Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Thanks again! It drives me nuts to limp around half the time so I'm sure your suggestions will help keep me sane until I can see the doc! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards