New Jersey
Options

Meeting with our first DJ

Last night Chris and I met with our first DJ company. This was something we were not looking forward to at all! I've had bad expierences with DJ's and Chris just isn't into the super clubby sounds. But surprisingly it went really well. They made us feel at ease and very comfortable. They also provide videography as well, which is another vendor we are still looking for. All in all a good night! I don't know if we'll meet with other DJ's yet especially since we felt so comfortable with them. How many did you meet with? And what were you quoted for the evening? Just want to make sure it's within the average.

Thanks in Advance ladies! =)

Re: Meeting with our first DJ

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We met with ZERO.  My DJ was highly recommended be my MOH's sister so I called him and spoke with him over the phone and booked him then and there. I couldn't have been happier with my decision. 

For the four hour reception I paid $1095 or something like that.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We met with 3.  All quotes will be different based upos what you're looking for/ packages they offer.  I think we might be on the high end - around $1800.  We opted for hte middle pkg. b.c of the acoustics of our space.
    10.ten.10 My Bio Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 175 Invited to Party!
    image 119 Are ready to party!
    image 56 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DJ pricing can be all over the place because some DJ services include 1 person playing songs, while others bring in some combination of plasma TVs; uplighting; percussion, sax players and singers; multiple emcees; video and photography to put on the plasmas; etc.  Quotes are hard to compare unless the services to be rendered are comparable.

We paid $1400 for 5 hours of one person DJing and not saying much.  That was higher than average for that, but we were willing to pay a little more to book a DJ that we knew we could trust to keep quiet (I'm not big into emcees).

I've seen quote here as high as $2800 or so for packages including a lot more of the other stuff I listed above.

We didn't actually meet with our DJ before we booked.  We had read great reviews of her on the NY board, and had a nice conversation with her on the phone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are paying $1400 for an emcee and a person playing music... for a Friday night. We are considering getting uplighting as well through our DJ company, which will be an additional $650. Prices will really vary depending on what you want.
  • Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we met with one dj.......
    knew when we met him that he would be our dj....
    we paid about $2200 for the dj, the emcee (who really didn't do much of anything to be honest) for the cocktail hour and the reception (5 hours total) and a photographer to take candids throughout the night and have the pictures up on a projection screen.....oh and some sort of basic lighting thing.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's really hard to gauge a good median for pricing on dj's unless the packages are similar.  For instance, I am paying $5,000 (extra for the owner and other stuff we added on).  Just the dj and emcee services are about $2,000 from mine.

To be completely honest, I'd be a little weary using a videographer from a DJ service, because you want someone who specializes in that field.  My dj offers photo services but I wouldn't use them since I have my own photographer.  If you aren't as interested in your wedding video or looking to cut costs, that would be smart but otherwise, I'd ask the board for rec's for a videographer.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't "meet" with any. We went to a birdal show and saw them perform, and booked them shortly after. Paying $1750 for a Sat night with an emcee and dj.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We met with 2 DJs, and wound up going with the first of the 2 we met.

But I did a LOT of research before I made any appointments. I was very specific in what I wanted in a DJ -- someone with really great taste, who'd play fantastic music and basically keep quiet besides that, except for a few "key" moments. No line dances. No lights. No fog machines. Not giveaway prizes.

We're paying $1500 for 5 hours. One guy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! We got quoted $2500 for 5 hours including cocktail hour, DJ, MC, lights, gobos, giveaways (which I don't think I really want), and video which includes bride and groom coverage, all wedding and ceremony events, highlight recap, 50 photo montage, dvd copy of all raw footage, 3 edited dvd's, and we can personalize it with whatever music we want.

I do like the package idea, but at the same time I'm apprehensive to the fact that it's not someone who does video all the time. I don't want key points to be missed.
  • Options
    VanessaB24VanessaB24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We met with 1 and since we're having a small wedding of 50 or 60 they only charged us 550 And we felt comfortable with them to.
  • Options
    lindseyarchlindseyarch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jrgoogrl ,
    I have been to so many different Dj meetings and I just cant find one that I like, you said you were very comfortable with the Dj you met with, do you have a name so i can possibly make a meeting with him!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just an FYI- I know my company, Elite Entertainment, does DJ showcases so you can see all of their emcees and see if any of them are a fit. That might be a better solution than meeting with some on an individual basis
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Lindseyarch, we met with http://www.colorblindprd.com/ Check them out they are a husband/wife team. I don't know what kind of DJ you are looking for, Chris and I aren't into "club" DJ's. We just want someone who will play the music, maybe do a little talking...you know the intro's stuff like that, other then that we don't want to hear them. With Colorblind, they believe that. They believe in letting the music do the work. Let me know if you check them out...good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_meeting-first-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d46155cd-bc23-4e21-ba82-8c0acf0b2daaPost:8a6eab03-31c1-46f7-8d7e-606599c2616d">Re: Meeting with our first DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]jrgoogrl , I have been to so many different Dj meetings and I just cant find one that I like, you said you were very comfortable with the Dj you met with, do you have a name so i can possibly make a meeting with him!
    Posted by lindseyarch[/QUOTE]

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I figured I'd let you know that I really loved my MC/DJ.  He was great and I felt totally comfortable letting him do his thing. I didn't give him a long play or do not play list. Everyone commented on how great the music was at my wedding.  Honestly, I 1000% recommend checking them out.  My MC was Bob Albrecht from Fantasy Entertainment <a href="http://www.fantasydjs.com/">www.fantasydjs.com</a> 
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked the Best of Both Worlds.  It's a DJ, MC, DJ assistant, 2 vocalists to sing up to 25 songs throughout the night, cocktail hour, ceremony music, and the light with our names on it for about 3200.  We saw them at a few bridal shows and met with them and loved them.  It's a happy medium between dj and band.
  • Options
    lindseyarchlindseyarch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses.I will def check them all out and hopefully I will find one I love !!! Thanks
  • Options
    debbs14debbs14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd HIGHLY recommend Elite Sound Entertainment. We had them for our wedding and my guests are still talking about them. Their prices were pretty reasonable. We got the uplights, plasma's and regular lights from them. I think we paid in the mid $2000's but I remember their prices started at $1000 so I'm sure they can work with your budget. I had Johnny Budz as my DJ and he's the owner
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards