Texas-San Antonio

Help with OOT Family

All of my 50 guests are OOT. I  chose the church, reception, hotels, rehearsal dinner all within 5 min's of each other via taxi, all by the Riverwalk so people wont have to rent cars and pay parking.  We are providing transportation from the church to the reception (5 minutes) because it would be hard to get taxis at the church.

Now, my family is the problem. They are asking me to find a house for them to rent so they can all be together and save money since they're flying from NY. This would mean not staying dowtown (none available there) and they need to rent a car and pay downtown parking so now all their expenses go up.

One sister has a 3 and 6 year old and complained she cant take taxis around dowtown because she would need to carry a car seat. (really? for a 5 minute ride?).   There are 3 sisters, 2 married, plus my parents, all flying in diferent days and times so I cant think of a way to help with their request for airport transportation. I suggested they rent 2 suites with king beds at$119/night at Drury if they want to save and just have the kids sleep with my single sister. I did find them one house dowtown ($500 for the entire weekend) but they waited didnt want it then changed their mind but too long and my other guests rented it.

Part of me feels like saying do whatever you want, if you dont like my suggestions, which were meant to be convenient and cost effective.  Then again, it's my family so am I being unreasonable? Any advice on how to handle?

Re: Help with OOT Family

• edited December 2011
    I can't really help with a suggestion on where to stay, but I can help with a cheaper arrangement than a taxi.

Downtown has a trolley system, where you can ride all over downtown for 1.00 per person. I highly recommend doing that. Also there are some lots that are 2.50 all night.. and then they can walk to the trolley stop.

You can find the map here:
    www.viainfo.net/Shared/ViewAttachment.aspx?AttachmentId=807

• brideinsatbrideinsat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, you always have good ideas! I guess it's on my sister to figure out the car seat deal, but I'm trying to be as considerate as possible, without driving myself crazy. :)
  • edited December 2011
    They won't need a car seat to ride the trolley. I take my daughter all the time. She is 4, and thinks it is the coolest thing in the world!!
  • brideinsatbrideinsat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GREAT point!
  • TTiger03TTiger03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Keep in mind also that taxis don't typically drive around down town.  There are places you can find them, but you usually have to call them.  They are at the airport, but that's really the only place I know taxis to wait.
    Trolleys would be fun.

You might have to consider a service though if you have too many people or need them for longer trips that aren't on the trolley routes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • schook1975schook1975 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are still looking for a house, try homeaway.com.  They might have something that is within your price range.
  • novio2010novio2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are still looking for a home to rent.  My friend used craigslist when her family came in for a graduation weekend.  HTH.  The trolley idea sounds great too.  
  • edited December 2011
    Don't forget to mention to them that Drury serves a breakfast and dinner buffet. I think that is important to note because it saves money and reduces travel time to go get food (when there isn't a wedding event of course).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards